Tired of all the talk of how the negative is only from outside the community

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drilikath, Oct 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

I listen to streams, and i just read @Chris Post, Now do not get me wrong I am so thankful chris brought this back, as I never have time to watch and a crappy internet connection that playing and stream are next to impossible.

BUT!

For the last damn time, stop saying it is only outside this community. I am part of this damn place, have been for a very long time, I am a KS, I might not be well know to everyone, But I have been around. I am not doom and gloom, I am against Heritage. I was against the removal of the $5 option, I also HATE f2p.

But I am still here. I was supporting the game with subscriptions. @Chris, you have your ideas and how you plan to bring in new players etc etc, but what about all of us that feel unheard, and or that you just don't give a crap period about how it effects us. I am sorry that i do not know chris in real life and or been humping devs legs from day 1. But it seems that the people that do/did that have the devs ear all the time and the game changes quite a bit from those individuals.

If it was COMMUNITY driven, why not have polls and really care about the COMMUNITY not just the big wales that fund it and the individuals that have the devs ears?

This is not a post to Rip anyone, or cause grief. No DOOM AND GLOOM.

But a lot of people got burned by Port and they have a legitimate concern. But if you say anything negative you are the problem. I am just not okay with that. I am not talking about the people that never have or never will try the game, I am talking about people who where part of this community and they got burned.

Semi Rant Over,
    Drilikath

P.S.
    Keep up the good work,
    Direction of the game is progress.
    Can't wait for episode 2.

That deal with CICI on livestream was not cool,...

2. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

There is a big difference between not appreciating a product, communicating feedbacks to the supplier and rescind the contract and making your disdain public, communicate your negative feedback on public channels during the work activity of the supplier and build hate chains outside the context.

Let me try to explain with a real example:

Few days ago i got my gpd win 2 ordered from an online shop, after a couple of hours some keycaps feel off the keyboard and when i reached them to communicate the defect they answered me: "we suggest you to try to Stick them back,
    If you have any other questions about our products please feel free to inquire. Have a nice day.".

Now I believe that we all agree that from the online shop part this was a bad behavior, unprofessional and inappropriate. I decided to proceed through paypal, open a dispute to try to get at least a partial refund and to repair the defect through a third party.

But how would another user react?

People who had similar problems went mad, they started a libel work on all public channels, wishing the company to fail, destroying their reputation threatening them, complaining about not being heard scaring their future customers that maybe would have had a good accident-free experience instead like many others have had it.

There are effective and civil ways to illustrate your feedback and problems to the service provider, very often these are forgotten and people prefer to try to humiliate, disparage and complain in front of the largest public trying to satiate a silk of senseless revenge that will not bring anything good either for the customer or for the supplier.

I believe this is the negativity that is referred to when we talk about this topic.

If someone thinks someone else is a bad person should try to tell him directly and if this is not possible let him receive the message in other ways explaining reasons and not hanging all over the world posters with a photo of the person with the "bad person" label, because maybe that person may have looked like that to you but on the contrary could bring good instead in the life of other people.

Looks like the medieval pillory was reborn in the twenty-first century.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  3. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Name one ............would like to know who are these whales influencing Chris.

4. CICI

CICI Avatar

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  5. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

I am not going to name drop, and no one said that they influenced an individual. That was not the point of this thread.

arcdevil likes this.
  6. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

You can be another one of people that I am doing something wrong, that is fine, You have your One Sided Opinion and that is cool. But because you want to defend the actions of the company by telling me I am wrong, GOOD DAY SIR.

arcdevil likes this.
  7. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

arcdevil likes this.
  8. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

All i did was voice my concerns in a PUBLIC FORUM, and I am a bad guy low life POS, I am so sick of this toxic BULL CRAP. Why is it everytime someone tells the truth you do the same thing and victim shame.

arcdevil likes this.
  9. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

@Drilikath To be 100% honest I was referring to the general behavior that I often see in place to explain to you what is in my opinion the negativity that is spoken of.
    I made no reference to you as a specific person or to your thread.

10. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Unfortunately, that is looked down upon here. I'm sure this thread will get deleted, locked, harassed, etc. Unless it's positive, you have to keep it to yourself.

11. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Hate to break it to ya guy... but no one else but YOU made this statement.

One politely offered a counterpoint, one asked for clarification, and the third responded with facts to a thinly-veiled attack on their person by you.

No one responded in a derogatory, defamatory or toxic fashion... except you, in this statement here.

This is not an attack, merely a statement of fact that holds a mirror up to you, illustrating how you have just acted in the exact manner you complained about.

Kara Brae, Witcheypoo, Prada and 7 others like this.
  12. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

I guess because you do not have access to other forms of communication on this topic, PM, Discord etc. You would only know what you see here. So to reply to this I will just reply with your Input is noted.

arcdevil likes this.
  13. HannahAlpenglow

HannahAlpenglow Avatar

Hey folks - I hope all is well; I miss so many of the amazing people in this community and might pop in game to say hello to some of you. But mainly have been lurking the past few weeks to figure out what is happening with the Seed Invest (and not having much luck!)...but that is another topic.

But @Chris , this part of your update post just has me shaking my head, and nodding in agreement with @Drilikath -

That false negative image the game has outside our community is the biggest dragon we have to slay to expand our user base. I'm working on lots of promotion options to get us in front of more users but I'm always open to ideas on ways to promote things and get word out on the game.

A story with a title that suggests some project is screwing its users, near collapse, or that there is some nefarious and intentionally treacherous activity going on is always going to get clicks, comments, and attention. It's sadly just human nature that everyone loves watching a train wreck. I totally get that so our challenge is how to get people excited about a game that has released for 70 months in a row, hasn't had any significant down time, never lost anyone's data or done a rollback, never had a dupe, has a freakin' amazing community, and just keeps on getting a bit better each month. It is a great story but a tough sell to get a website to write about in a positive way. Negative speculation or explosive success? Sure, they'll print that all day long but month after month moderate success and perseverance, meh, no one will click on that.

If anyone has any ideas on ways to get the media to print that second story instead of the first, LET ME KNOW. :p Also, if you are associated with any website and want an exclusive interview, scoops on stuff coming up, call me, I'm all yours!!

Blaming the press, reddit posters and steam reviews, or portraying those as "false", is not something I expect the company head to do. It may not be fun to see that perception, you may not agree with it, but perception is reality.

Occam's Razor time - Is some coordinated bogeyman effort out there that includes members of the press, hundreds of steam reviewers, and non-SotA forum posters really preventing the game from being successful? Or is the game, maybe, just maybe, not actually that great (all the quest, polish, and unfinished systems that new players get hit over the head with, I am looking at you) for what a more mainstream gaming audience wants these days?

Blaming the current state of success on a conspiracy is always easier than that hard look in the mirror - that the game still needs work, and that yes, while you are doing monthly updates, those aren't the updates that are going to move the needle for most gamers to come try SotA.

I see some of my old friends still here and I want to come back and give it another shot, and then I see an echo chamber and a blame game statement like this and have to pause. Focus on making core game improvements and players will come; slow down on the thread cleansing/locking/deleting/banning (because it does feel like a one sided conversation in the forum from my recent perusal), answer press questions and don't expect they are just going to write fluff pieces for you (even if they have tough questions to answer) and that might help a bit too. But focus on the game if you have to choose one.

Respectfully,

Hannah

Azhai, Astirian, Kirthag and 16 others like this.
  14. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I do have access to other forms/forums for communication, but I'll Roger your Roger.

If, however, you are getting hate for posting things like this in direct message form, I'm all for outing these individuals' accounts so their true colors can be seen.

Edit: actually, the better method would be reporting them directly to Port, but I can see where that might be seen as unproductive at best.

arcdevil and HoustonDragon like this.
  15. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Thank you, Someone else Gets it...

arcdevil likes this.
  16. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Right it also is not worth it. There is plenty of negative. I want good to come of this, Not bad/negative.

arcdevil, Cordelayne and Sentinel2 like this.
  17. HannahAlpenglow

HannahAlpenglow Avatar

One last thought - if you really want to kill two birds with one stone (more potential players, more "positive" exposure potential), please reconsider the current method of rolling things out. It is, like, super un-friendly from a press and new player perspective.

Instead of plopping in a half finished dungeon one month, the new lands (but with no content other than POTS!) another month, one new skill the next, one new monster after that, etc., just go dark for six months or so and build out Episode 2 properly on a dev server. Then, once it is built out a bit, bam, offer the press sites a preview on that server - that no one else has seen yet. Remember when previews happened for games and expansions? They still can generate excitement, but stuff needs to be built out first behind closed doors.

It is darn near impossible for a new player or the press to comprehend improvements when they come out 1) piecemeal over months and years and 2) usually get implemented super buggy or incomplete. When the features are finally feature complete (a rarity, unfortunately) everyone is used to the buggy, incomplete stuff you already rolled out. Zero wizz-bang factor for anyone outside looking in.

But a press preview six months from now - with more fully formed Ep 2 lands, the new quest system, items attunement, treasure hunting, etc. all seen together in a functional complete package, all at once? That would get me excited, and I bet I am not alone. Dribble it out in a buggy mess month-to-month? Not so much. Just food for thought.

18. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

I totally agree. Could not play at all the other night because of a patch that was supposed to fix one thing broke fizzle, and then I could not play for 24 hours. That sucks majorly.

19. HannahAlpenglow

HannahAlpenglow Avatar

I get why the method of rolling things out to let existing players preview it or show you attacked a bug quickly is appealing...to existing players.

But if the goal is to get new players and better press coverage, surely the powers that be can see that this method is sub-optimal for anyone beyond players deep into the weeds of the game. I doubt that they can change from that method given the expectations built up (here's a new stream to show off half baked piece of content for you special viewers!), but if the goal is to expand the game - save it until it's all almost ready gang.

Okay, over and out - hope to say hi to some old friends soon.

20. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I enjoy playing this game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.