Tired of all the talk of how the negative is only from outside the community

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drilikath, Oct 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Could do Stream on QA, and have the new version up all month before roll out. That way things get well tested and checked. Could spruce up the Bug Rewards/Program and explain it better for new players. Just some input.

Join Livestream on QA, Everyone Insta Leveled to Content on login so they can spend the xp where needed to try it etc. Get rewards for the task at hand....

Witcheypoo likes this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Me too.

3. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

So do I, That us why I made this post, because there is this really crappy Stigma between the way the game is, and the way the game seems.

Cordelayne likes this.
  4. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

To be fair to @Drilikath, Chris has stated in stream on several occasions that he runs things by a "few people" as he works on stuff. We know that some people are given items to test for Chris (some spawner as also mentioned in the live streams). It is a fair statement to say that he does in fact listen to a select few. I don't think he doesn't hear the rest of us though, but I do think those select few (whoever they are) do have a much larger influence. I think it is also fair to say that there has been a push to keep negative things said about the game off the forums. I think we can understand that, but I think it is also fair to say that every new player is not going to scour our forums before they play the game. They will go out look at some play videos and see if they want to give it a shot. The game mechanics and the community in the game will then keep them or loose them.

I think people have a right to have their grievances aired, but maybe we can have a spot for that and Chris can take a real good long 4 hour QA/AMA were he really addresses those or can at least direct people to others that will respond, in a reasonable time frame, to the answers they seek. Just shutting people down will cause them to try and get your attention on other forums.. that spreads the bad newsworthy soundbites for the publications. If you want something for the press to pay attention to, try a big live GM Dev run event. Have it take a few weeks to complete so the press has a reason to talk about it. The fact that it is DEV run, showcases the game is still very much alive and the creators are actively involved. We, in the game, already know this, but this helps squash some outside negativity. Have two separate events, one for the PVP folks and one for the PVE folks; make sure you have some small side things that solo players can help contribute and you have yourself a full coverage draw. You did a little something like this when the comet first appeared.

I have yet had a friend, that I got to try this game, say they left it because the forums or Reditt showed it in a bad light. It was always due to the expense of the items, the quest system, not knowing what to do next, and the impression that the game was not casual playstyle friendly. One of these people even felt bad they were not able to take part in the Kickstarter. So believe it or not; new players or even the ones who tried and came back, don't all know the bad things that have happened.

5. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Honestly, I've posted plenty on the forums that is critical and plenty that's positive. I've not had issues from the community or the developers about the critical posts.

6. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

I would also like to add as a person with disability issues, the proposed possible change to loot would be a HUGE quality of life improvement.

7. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

There are many words you can uae in a post and not mean it in a harsh way, and it will immediately be removed. This is not about negative though. Glad you have had good experiences with everyone.

arcdevil likes this.
  8. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

I have had too many people come and leave. I paid for a lot of accounts to watch them sit bare, back when you had to pay $40 to get them in. Since that time I got 2 or 3 to retry it and still they just can not stand it. I cant force people to enjoy the game and see it for what it is the way I do and what It will be.

But thank you for pointing out that when Chris by name mentions what he did with player XYZ, Everyone gets to see/hear this forever. I am not saying it is wrong or it should not be done, by all means for the better of development. But there is also always a perceived view of favoritism.

9. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

The eternal problem is that given the amount you've spent on the game, you'd have have to be a blooming idiot if the game wasn't enjoyable and you aren't a blooming idiot.

That's the dilemma with these forum, folks have way too much invested in SOTA for it to be a trash fire unless this forum is filled with rejects from McNamara's 100,000.

I know folks like to stay positive, but anyone that has any interest in SOTA either already owns or has tried it, you don't get a second bite of that apple. Nobody is going to get excited about an expansion for a game that looks like it is from 2012 and has mechanics that were outdated by then.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi @Drilikath . I wanted to like your point in the OP but one thing stood out so badly to me and that was the moment you called other players Wales. That word is very derogatory a 'them' against 'you' attitude imo. The so-called whales you mention who would this be? Is it someone who spent a particular amount on the game or someone who has a higher pledged level?

But beyond that thought as someone who has been here consistently since 2013 playing the game except for 2 months a year when I have to travel I do have a higher pledge level, not the highest by any means. Am I a whale by your estimations? I am not negative speaking of the game as I believe it is a great game with tons of potential. Do I always like the directions it has taken well no? Do I voice this, well yes. The difference is how is it voiced? I try to voice it constructively and respectfully with lots of examples but one time I did get a little over-zealous and my wording was not that so I apologized and asked for forgiveness and it was granted.

So in trying to speak up for the game I ask that speaking up for our great community of players who stand by this game is part of it. Another is the great fortitude of this team of devs. They are amazingly passionate and dedicated to this game. None are whales who support and play this game by any means that they do it. We are all just people with our passion for this game to be the best it can be. The difference is some of us have different ideas on how that should go but it does not mean we have less passion for the game. As always constructive feedback and ideas should prevail and if that is not the case then build a case for it over and over and even over again. I have strong ideas about things I think the game needs and I will continue to make the case for them but it does not mean I'm a game hater since this game does have a lot to love about it.

So this is not a put-down but the thoughts that occurred to me when reading the OP. We are all stronger together and weaker apart. Onward to Victory.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Tailz, Witcheypoo and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  11. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

The term Whale was used to describe the players who KS Donated HUGE Amounts of money and or the people that currently still invest Large sums of money into the game every month that may or may not have had the devs ears over the years and used that to steer the game in a direction they felt was in the best interest of the game. Port has publicly stated this was going on and that they where steering away from it. Also as I said this was not an attack on anyone or even supposed to be negative. It is about the real issue of the problems the game faces and why we have them.

12. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Sadly @majoria70 "Whales" is the industry standard term, unless you prefer "High roller" instead. The literature on F2P near universally use the term as "the 1% of players that pay exorbitant amounts to be the cock of the walk in a free game" is a tad wordy.

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I still feel it is a negative in the way it was used here, but perhaps just my opinion. I don't feel it was necessary to get your point accross. Why them against us anyway? And what is your point other than you feel some are being listened to more than others. As mentioned how much we are listened to is the what to do opportunity. Those being listened to are there to be heard. There are other ways to be listened to. Send a proposal to the devs, ask for a survey, attend the streams and ask questions there, post a thread with pictures, examples, data etc. If none of those work try try try again as I have since 2013. If no success ever with trying then I don't know what to say. I just have never given up even when some don't agree. I don't say I'm all right in my directions especially to some but I do vote for more task related issues like in game achievements system, a timed battleground system, more cooking enhancements, more scene work to include dailies to tell a story and that are progressive. Things to make each scene interesting and have more reasons to visit and do everything in this game. Also all crafting merchants give a daily and we have a pvp daily as well as them being progressive quests for the days we do them. Also we need a journal that has tabs that tell of the features of the game for example: a main quest tab, a daily tab, housing, crafting, music system, pvp, etc.

Imo this will fill in the unfinished status of the game. Too many basics missing. Anyway that is opportunity not negativity. If there is a confusion in what people say being all negative and not constructive then maybe someone is new and thinks this game is done. This game was always created on devs and players feedback and that is not changing anytime soon. We are just not done with no date in the near future for that happening. The game is still very playable with tons too do but if players want an embedded activity such as battlegrounds we have none. We have wave battles which lack of capture areas and the timed story telling of a battleground imo. Ok don't let me take you away anymore from your topic. *cheers*

14. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

It is not them against us, I was just stating how the people who Do pay more, or Have, did get special treatment. It can be just the fact that they have the dev ear more then others. Heck if you pay $$ you get dev time its a paid thing.. So do they matter here, sure. That is why they are here/used it was not about us vs them.

MrBlight likes this.
  15. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I do have to also address and defend the notion that this is an expensive game. I will also state why I can agree with Chris on RMT issues. This will be a long post and I will use me and some of my SOTA expenditures as an example.

I started this game around 2015 and backed at a Lord level, but only benefactor. My husband introduced me to it. I had no notion of Lord British and had gone the EQ route over UO due to who wants open pvp and full loot! So looking at the earlier pledges, I wished I had gotten in earlier and higher. I loved what I was doing and the community interaction was great. People were playing instruments and role playing. It gave me what I missed in SWG cantina socializing. At any rate, my husband was very generous and let me purchase another players pledge, that I transferred and then melted my existing Lord to bounce the Baron up to a Duke. I then purchased a nested town while they were still available, but overland had expired. Yes I was a deco but so I got the flexible housing pack and the elves pack and lots of stuff. I upgraded my town twice. Shortly after my husband stopped playing. He was outraged at the cost of things I wanted and was very disappointed in the depth of the story in quests. He expected more from Richard Garriott after playing the Ultimate games. He felt the game lacked clear direction and that it was more profitable to just always be in development instead of releasing. So after being on my own and having a guild that was just waiting for release to play or didn’t enjoy bugs or the myriad of complaints. In essence I was down to solo. The game became daunting at that point while facing negative reaction from my other half. So I then sold the content of my inventory and my town to another player at a heavy loss. I missed the game and regretted my decision. I looked in later and found my guild had gotten some new regular members. So I decided to play more. However that pledge and the things I had were mostly unavailable. So I purchased deeds and older items and another town. For the most part I overpaid when re-acquiring some items. It was nice to see retired stuff return in the vault, it again at more than original price. Out of all those transaction the game only saw the original pledge, town purchase, telethons and pre-crown store revenue. So Port got roughly $6,000 originally and none of my re-purchase or the old backer pledge, nor the re-squire of an overland town. They got new purchases and town upgrades, but that is as at least $7,000 that they got none of. That is a significant number to not get some of. While I do buy things from port in town upgrades and some crowns, I can’t keep that heavy outlay. It was meant as a start up with much smaller purchases. I also maintain my rewards program.

Now let’s look at other games, the next closest cash outlay is Project Gorgon at $520. That $500 is there top level at this time. Legends of Aria I think I gave $100. $14,000 plus is an expensive game. $20 for a manaquin is a lot. I can buy a top of the line fully furnished scene in ESO for $140. That same money might get me a village tax free deed here. While I am not required to buy any of it, the purchase comparison to other games, even indie games, is way too high.

@majoria70 I agree with you on the whale term. It is very derogatory and I think both players and Chris should not use it. I can assure you, having spent what I have Chris has never listened to a thing I say. So saying he listens to high backers isn’t quite true.

I also want to add I am in a new guild now and happily enjoying the game. The above sentiments shared by friends and my spouse are not all ones I share. I enjoy the game. It is older school and unique. Does it need things; yes, but it’s a good small game.

Sorry that’s my book and done on cell phone no less.

16. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I think that number is not valid, as they got the money for the town you bought when whomever bought that town bought it from port, and it would need to be subtracted. What Port is trying to do is what the MPAA, RIAA, and video game companies in general, have always wanted to do -- Kill secondary markets. This is like a music company or a game company wanting to be able to charge consumers every time a CD, video game, DVD, etc, is sold, whether it is a new one or not. It's frankly, despicable. And their prices are really overkill. There's lots of knowledge about supply and demand... It's better to charge $50 and sell 5000 of something then to charge $500 and sell 100 of an item. By having exorbitant prices across the board, they're in many ways ensuring they get limited sales.

And as far as RMT goes, I've bought plenty directly from Port and plenty on the resale market as well to get things that were no longer available. And I've never resold *anything* I've bought (I.e., I'm not in the buy & resell business, it's all been for decorating etc). But the things I bought on the resale market? Port *already* made their money off those items. And at least $150 for a Founder PA Deed was a hell of lot more reasonable price than what Port tries to sell deeds for. And they still got the (obscenely priced) upgrades I bought to make it a larger size.

Spoon likes this.
  17. CICI

CICI Avatar

Well if you Buy a used car that does not help the auto company revenue (same thing buying used SOTA Assets) always will be secondary market for almost everything
    @Cirsee
    Best thing for everyone to do is maintain the rewards program wish I can just prepay for 1 yer =) for say $99

SOTA is the best game ever! =)

also I think no trade deco needs to be 100 cotos ea (one light 100 cotos ect)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Witcheypoo and Violette Dyonisys like this.
  18. marthos

marthos Avatar

I'm an early KS of this game and have put in hundreds, maybe thousands of hours into the game. I see the great things that this game has, and I see its flaws. I've loved some changes that the devs made, and have been grumpy about others (not getting a physical replacement item instead of the signed book).

This game is a very narrow niche game. It does a great job at housing and decorations, and the game has attracted enough people who will pay enough money every month to keep the game moving in its current direction and at it's current pace. It will keep several folks employed, and keep a few thousand people entertained, and that's perfectly fine.

Where I am disappointed is that the game has the potential to be so much more if the focus was shifted away from that above niche. It's a big risk though, if they lose the folks paying the bills, the game will fail. But without taking that risk, the game will never grow. The problem isn't that the outside community has a false negative perception, it's that the outside community wants better PvP, better PvE, better crafting, and better economy. They are playing other games not because SotA doesn't have the right perception, they are playing other games because they don't like what SotA does really well - filling the housing/town/deco niche. The outside community's perception is spot on, and they don't like SotA. They aren't going to come here unless the game changes drastically. And maybe the players and devs don't really want that - maybe filling this niche is what SotA should stay doing.

I'd love for the drastic changes to happen and the population grow, but that will take a lot of money. The backers who originally footed the bill are mostly long gone and feel betrayed (at least 95% of my guild), so I don't see where the money is going to come from. So...let's enjoy what we have and be realistic about this game's future. It's going to be what it is today - filling in the RP/Deco niche that a lot of games lack.

Spoon, Bankchick, Geaux and 4 others like this.
  19. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Except they decided to kill that market too with their heritage junk. :)

20. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

I see people say that this is a niche game. Can someone explain to me how this game is niche? I heard some say this game does certain things better then a lot of MMOS and I hear Chris saying that he brought the store in game like pretty much like all other games, but I don't see it's niche. I know I'm missing something bc I haven't played long, so I can't see it yet.

Please explain to me, and thanks!

arcdevil likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.