As a low/mid level player - this game is fine lol

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jekyll, Oct 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

I think most of the problems happen at the extreme end-

I'm around adventurer level 85 and everything is neat and tidy and balanced and fun.

Mind you I also mostly play solo, in open multiplayer.

There is still lots of upper tier areas to grow into and crafted gear, although not exceptionally mastercrafted - provides ample tooling and growth, etc -

There is a large variety of monsters to hunt and fight, and some require cunning and tactics.
    There are still numerous areas I haven't explored because frankly they are too difficult.

I think there is a huge traffic jam at the end of the road where all the established high level players are, and they are mostly the ones voicing here on the forum. On the opposite end, as a beginner its a little too confusing about where to go, or rather "how to play" this particular rpg ---

But just so you know, the mid-game is excellent :p

2. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

Good points. I'm where you are game wise. Still finding many new things to enjoy.

3. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

From what I've seen a good portion of the forum warriors are high level but don't really understand the game, and thus they complain. An issue with open development is that everybody seems to feel that they have a better idea than the devs, in some cases some do, in a lot of cases they don't.

4. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

I used to be very indignant and critical myself, embarrassing as that realization is. Then somewhere along the line I miraculously saw the light of humility.

5. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I speak my mind regular on the forums... I am a white knight they say.... but reality I just simply love everything about the game even with a few bugs. I can be very critical of some response, but I still see value in others ideas. It never hurts to voice your thoughts and I agree that the game from start to middle ground is pretty good. the high end is where there is some road blocks do to lack of content which is slowly coming, but I gotta give the devs a big hug for having to deal with all the maxers who managed to surpass the time to level that the devs expected things to happen which puts them in a bit of a crunch. I look forward to what you have in store for the future and hope that all the people in the higher end have patience. like all games of past some outlevel the content too fast and end up sitting on thumbs or dancing or jumping around the markets bored... all in good time things will progress.

6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

With how easy it is to jump into Upper Tears, become a high level player, but actually have no idea how to play the game, these kinds of players are somewhat not surprising. I mean in my guild we have a few players who can Solo either UT or Tartarus to get attenuated in less than an hour, which boosts players level without actually raising their skill at all. The fact that most veterans are that nice causes an issue later.

And I agree with Xee, I really like the game, I can be critical of the devs, (I mean #JustBzusThings...) but the actual game in itself is great from my perspective, It allows a lot of freedom that most games don't, and this is the one "MMO-ish" game that I've played for so long. Get us new skills and spells and an actual combo system that works (The current system is close, but it lacks efficiency) and I will be more than satisfied!

7. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I think it's a very good point well made by the OP and then others. I'm just over AL100 and always solo, right now at least. I'm wide open to groups but just never felt the urge in SOTA.

Anyway, my point is as a solo player, SOTA offers a more than adequate challenge for me. There are still plenty of areas I can't go to alone but as I slowly progress I find I can start to have a little sneak into maps I couldn't visit before and survive for a short while, learn how to play that map and then gradually progress from there.

There is absolutely no 'brick wall' or shortage of combat and adventuring challenges for me in SOTA and tbere won't be for a long time to come, especially with Chris and tbe team bringing out more higher level dungeons at a faster rate than I can access them right now.

8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I have no problems with White or Black knight types as Dark Starr coined them. I appreciate discussion and honesty no matter what your opinions.

I truly believe forums discussion have improved this game and yes people can make the legitimate argument in some cases they have hurt the game.

We just talk about the stuff it’s up to the devs to decide what helps and what hurts thier vision of what the game looks like. So many game improvements have come from these discussions I think it out weights the negatives.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  9. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

The overall approach they took in fixing the new player starting, giving some direction, the revamp of zones, and what is currently available, can keep someone busy for quite some time. I find myself adventure level 110+ going back into tier 2-3 zones just checking out what is in them and what I might have missed.

Pawz, Witcheypoo and Curse2 like this.
  10. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

I would disagree with you. I feel that those of us who have been here and playing actively for 5+ years, DO understand the game , and we complain. Is it possible that you don't know more about what is going on here than everyone else? From a new person's / casual player's perspective, I can see how you might get that impression. There is certainly a lot of negativity spread all over the map, some really hair brained ideas , bickering about platitudes and irrelevancies mixed in with some seriously angry people. Its like the Democratic party debates up in here sometimes. That being said, there are some very serious grievances that are allowed to fester due to a giant disconnect between customer and supplier. They provide no framework or continuity to anything. Its all done in a very "Ham and Egg" sort of way . Try running any other kind of business that way where you are constantly and purposefully antagonizing your customer base and see whats happens.

11. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

Thus I said a good portion, I know far more veteran players that have no idea what's going on after 5 years than I do know that have a firm grasp of the games mechanics. And are you implying I'm a new person / casual player?

Curse2 likes this.
  12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

it’s ok don’t be ashamed of being a new player... welcome to sota! There is a great twitch streamer out there that can help ya learn the ropes her name is Taikee.

(name dropped because it makes it look like I know cool people.)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  13. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Good opening post! I agree.

Witcheypoo and Curse2 like this.
  14. Curse2

Curse2 Avatar

LOL!

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  15. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

LMAO.

Curse2 and Brass Knuckles like this.
  16. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

I'll ask her

Jaesun, Curse2 and Brass Knuckles like this.
  17. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I think its a good point and one that gets overlooked too often - if you play the game in moderation and/or casually or are just getting started, it works out pretty okay.
    Most of the issues with balance, insulting loot, etc. happen when you've been here a while and are moving on to the next step.
    I'm a reasonably high level player, but I got there the 'slow' way. I think I hit adventure level 100 without doing anything other than mining/harvesting, before the double exp, making maybe 50k adventure Xp an hour for like...a year. Sure, I might have gone with a group once or twice for an hour somewhere but mostly played by myself, did my own thing, made gear for myself and friends, and just progressed that way. Those were much happier times, if I am honest. When they started adding "double xp weekends" it felt like we had to take advantage of them, so splurged a bit, and then when they made double the new normal we could relax but...then adding scenes like UT where a player could achieve in a weekend what it took me a year to do 'the old way' created a new kind of player: the high level player who hasn't done any of the existing content but is clamoring for new! more! faster! And you run into someone who is adventure level 120 and can't find Ardoris on a map and its a bit of a headscratcher.

18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Is that the new control point they keep talking about?

19. Azareilia

Azareilia Avatar

Good to hear! I am just coming back to it tonight :) Happy Halloween

20. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Great Post. And of course, it is these 'high achievers' (nothing wrong with that BTW), that are more inclined and more in need of posting requests on the Forums for new high level content, better ballanced combat, better loot, improved crafting economics, and so amplify, away from the average, a sense of dissatisfaction with the current state of the game that perhaps doesn't relate to your average Jo.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.