1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

I Wish I Could Focus Magic Where I Want and Not Have to Rely on Other Schools

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Magnus Zarwaddim, Oct 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Latest end game contents (New Tartarus Floors with Satyr type mobs/boss) are very suitable for a pure death build. One of these is even a PVP area, I think it might interest you ;)

2. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I don't think that's any more odd than making it so every fighter has to know earth magic and every archer has to know air magic.

Gorthyn likes this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I suppose. I think the bigger problem is that those spells exist at all. Too late to get rid of them, now.

Gravidy likes this.
  4. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

They are the only thing that's not gear that presents multiple mutually exclusive choices about what attributes your character has, so I think they have a place, even if they have a tough time filling their role well.

Gravidy likes this.
  5. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Death is still very much viable for many bosses. there is only around 3x% of the game that is dead. That said you are right that you need to pair death with another school can't be just one.

6. OxNull

OxNull Avatar

I wouldnt doubt that there are ways to make death effective currently, but I think the point is death is one of the only trees that cannot use (If you want to play full death mage) is the life tree with the added hadicap of resistances. I see all these awesome builds, but the root of all of them is the life tree. From my experience any of the places to get exp higher level, not bosses for loot, death is very ineffective. Unless you hit that threshold of 300+ death attument and you are over the curve and can make it work.

Want to do Krul with death? Cant
    Want to do Elf mages in Rise with death? Nope
    The fall? Nope
    Also even high end fleshy mobs have high resistances to magic which includes death.
    Pets are pretty useless now that you cant heal them with life tree (which makes sense, but adds to the point of the disadvantage the death mechanic has, yea water tree and sun work for heals...... weaker hills for movement because of AOE distance.)

To bring it back the OP, I think how SotA is dealing with roles and magic resists while on paper sounds cool, "Yeah why should magic work on rocks, why should death damage hurt undead, why should fire burn a dragon?" Because you break peoples preferred playstyles, because it is not fun for some to have 3 different back up builds of second and third choice playstyles. This is what a MMO is for is to play your prefered playstyle and augment it with others players. If you force everyone to use what "works" for that encounter you force people to not need other playstyles because you can just do it. I get that death will not be as effective to undead, but at least tickle them a little bit, let me do some damage to them that they do to me and I can bring friends if I need to do more damage, but I would be happy with tickling than doing absolutely nothing.

I guarantee there are people that just use physical damage because it just does everything, even though magic might be appealing. If you choose to use a magic school you will hit a brick walls to where you have to now choose other paths that might not be ideal. And again, point of OP some magic schools have it harder. Death I would argue has it the hardest. Which isn't bad, but you cannot ignore the facts that it kills probably one of the coolest, and unique playstyles, low health for maximum damge. Every other magic is augmented with the life tree, which on its own is REALLY STRONG. Now you have Death which can be really strong, but you do not get to augment it with the biggest support tree. Anyone who has honestly played death, not just for the encounters that death works, knows that it a difficult build to use while adventuring as a fulltime build.

It was stated the around 30%-40% of Novia is undead. I ask what percent is resitance to water? earth? fire? sun? moon? air? chaos?

I would says 30-40% is a pretty big chunk of the game for a specific playstyle to have an awesome skills tree like death. I guess Death is too powerful and needs to be maintained, we cannot have everyone being Death Mages. The world would be too perfect. Heres to hoping Ep2 has less undead and liches. We have enough encounters with them on the main land.

7. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

People keep saying they have to use this skill or they have to use that spell, this is incorrect. You choose to use those skills/spells. If a person wants to be be a water mage and nothing but a water mage, they in fact can do that.

People want to be powerful and so they take skills/spells that will make them powerful, but you don't have to, you're never forced to use any skills/spells you don't want to use. As an example, Sara doesn't use any healing spells and he's one of the highest players in the game! Most people would say you have to use healing spells, but you don't have to do anything you don't want to do.

You can choose to play exactly as you wish...you may be less powerful for it but you can most certainly do it.

8. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

My friends babysit me well :D. Captain Abearica was even helping me out by taking aggro the other day :).

Pawz, Jaesun, Adam Crow and 1 other person like this.
  9. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I agree and to take that to another level there are ways to use certain shields, tactics or spells to really help any build. Life is not completely necessary to make all builds work. It makes it insanely easier for sure, but there are still ways around life magic. The 3 day healing buff will negate a lot of negatives on death builds for instance. And using that with potions can be very powerful. Throw in Fiona fitzowens lute and you might want to check the healing numbers again.

High water attunement with soothing rain buffs on your weapons can be fun as well. Lots of options out there. Its a numbers game.

Jaesun and Sara Dreygon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.