1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Disable keypad enter key

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Elwyn, Nov 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

When I'm trying to use the keypad to do stuff, it's too easy to slip and hit the keypad enter key, which starts chat mode, then whatever you were in the thick of suddenly STOPS. Also it's one of the easiest keys to bump by accident when you hand goes near the right edge of the keyboard.

I'm all fine with the main enter key starting chat mode, but I can't think why I'd ever want to use keypad enter to start chat, it only causes problems. It's a true mis-feature. Please provide an option to disable it!

2. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

*blink* So THAT'S what's been causing me problems! I'm happily keypadding away, and then suddenly instead of setting off my combat glyphs I'm typing numbers in the stupid chat box instead. Mind you, it happens far too often and not just in combat, but when I nearly die because of it.....

Elwyn likes this.
  3. venospro

venospro Avatar

Just pop the key off your keyboard? If you dont use the key anyway you wont miss it. Besides most keyboards let you take keys off and on.

4. Justyn

Justyn Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Can't you just disable that as a hotkey in your settings?

5. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Yes, but disabling enter disables both enter keys I suppose ;)

6. Moussaka

Moussaka Avatar

Here's a quick workaround (for Windows users):

1. Download and install AutoHotKey
    2. Create a new script
    3. Insert this:
    NumpadEnter::
    return

4. Run the script

You can stop the script by right-clicking the "H" icon in task-tray and select "Exit"

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Paladin Michael likes this.
  7. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

I just wish I could separate that from the normal enter key... so the normal enter key starts chat... while the numeric-keypad enter key lets me do things like "confirm yes - I really do want to craft 20 items that I just typed out so I don't have to move my hand to my mouse, move the mouse to the OK button and click it". Seems so much simpler and one of those "quality of life" improvements that was missed.

Elwyn likes this.
  8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I knew there would be a wise guy in here. Not all keyboards can have a key popped off, mechanical keyboards have a still very active stub, and I use it for entering numbers in vendor prices... oh wait no I don't, because the vendor price windows don't take tab or enter (another ancient gripe on my list). I still use it in other games, though.

And I do have a keyboard on another computer with F1 and the Windows/Menu keys popped off. A particular era of Dell keyboards makes it very easy. I even did it on a keyboard at work years ago, including the stupid INS key.

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

How does that help people running Linux or Mac?

10. Moussaka

Moussaka Avatar

Sorry, did not think about that ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.