Daily XP Pool - Get more people playing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aetrion, Nov 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

To get more people into the game I think there should a daily XP pool that people can earn doing basically whatever they want in the game for about an hour or two.

Basically there would be a pool of XP, maybe around 2 million adventure XP that refills every 24 hours. XP in that pool is earned from basically performing any activity in the game. Any minute that you actively spend engaging with the game's systems pays out a portion of that XP, allowing you to earn the whole pool in about an hour or two. The pool wouldn't count against your attenuation. There might be a pool of crafting XP too, though it would likely have to be lower, since gaining crafting XP is much more difficult even by grinding.

This would be a significant reward for playing consistently over a long period of time, rather than setting up a system where people see an endless grind that you can spend every waking hour on, and being immediately turned off, or burning out. It doesn't stop people from farming UT all day if they want to, but it also allows a reasonable pace of advancement for people who don't do that.

Of course some people would find ways to get that XP with minimal effort and without interaction, but that's alright, it doesn't hurt anyone if someone is building up their character by just logging in and jumping around in circles for an hour. But someone who does that every day might eventually figure that they will do even better if they go chop some wood in that hour, or fight some monsters, or even just chat with people. The important thing is getting people into the game consistently and for a meaningful length of time. Having to actually use skills to raise them also makes it so it's not entirely passive advancement.

People should always feel like they are making progress, and that they get to play the game the way they want to. Offering a daily XP pool will have everyone moving along at a good rate without the need to spend their free time grinding for XP. You'll see a lot more casual players, roleplayers, explorers, and just generally people who are turned off by the grind spend a lot more time in the game, and more importantly, play the game consistently over time.

Witcheypoo, buz, Bow Vale and 6 others like this.
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Heck yeah, I might even stock my vendors again!

I'd suggest scaling by adventure level though. A brand new player that suddenly gets 2 million XP is immidiately leveled out of the low level content.

Witcheypoo and Alley Oop like this.
  3. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

I think we get 15,000 xp for logging in daily

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  4. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I wish this would have been done when the Inn's first came out with an interface to rent a room like a property. Rent a room for 100g a day.
    Log off in a building or room you own and you get the XP Bonus Pool to pull from the next day. Sadly with Row lots at 250g a day I doubt Inns will ever find a need to be used. I digress... Great Idea regardless of the logout thing. :D

Spoon, Gravidy and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Yes we do. Not crafting though, so not worth the time as a log in incentive unless I'm coming in anyway.

For combat XP, 15k is roughly 22 seconds in UT, so that's not very enticing.

6. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I don't see that as that big a problem, new players choking up on XP and realizing they need to grind is probably one of the biggest reasons they don't continue with the game. This way they build up a nice big cushion of XP before they ever get skills high enough that they don't rise as fast as you can use them. Of course it would make all quest rewards feel meaningless.

So on the other hand, they could use a formula like Adventure Level * 20,000 to determine the daily pool. That would rise quickly, but then level off about where it needs to be. to keep things rolling for people who play for the long haul but don't want to grind themselves stupid. Might be the best way to go.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Witcheypoo and Gravidy like this.
  7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I disagree with part of what you are saying, and would say yes to a 20k early bonus.

Otherwise, in the first day you would have a million XP. Say goodbye to any challenge in adventure level 1 - 2 zones and all that content, literally before you finish the Outskirts. Day 2 you have just skipped Tier 3 zones, and now you're stuck in the 4 - 5 doldrums. But probably have only just now discovered Soltown Sewers, which would seem ridiculously easy.

For anyone interested in more than grinding in UT, the lower tier zones are actually some of the best zones that exist. We already progress out of their difficulty level before one could conceivably do them all.

Witcheypoo and Aetrion like this.
  8. VesperMadeMeChangeIt

VesperMadeMeChangeIt Avatar

*puts on a dance emote and goes AFK for xp* I'd be all for it.

9. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Nothing stops those same new players from hitting Alt-F and joining a UT group for 5 hours and getting 10m xp either. Have seen many. As a veteran player I do not typically run a 100+ UT group. Over a weekend of semi casual play 4 hours per day so 8 hours on a weekend those same new players get 8m xp. People that want to powerlevel/game will do so reguardless. Players dont have to leave those low level zones, it is always a choice. Biggest issue I seen so far was player complaining the quest lead them to a tier 3-4 and they got killed, over and over.

Sticking with the OP, I think it would be a decent idea to have some kind of system that rewards for staying logged in for an hour. I also thought that they should add an obsidian potion of accelerated xp gain for a week. gain 20% more per task/kill. Anyone who subscribes gets this perk for the entire month. This way anyone who F2p/gold can buy 4 potions per month for just 400 crowns.

It still suffers from the attenuation issues, But for casual people who dont want to grind UT or places like that but want to kill lower end stuff can still do it but get better xp for the same tasks for a price.

Could even have the potion effect deactivate once attenuated so that way it does not work overtime for those who can beat the timer with Control Points and things like that.

Also makes the subscription look that much better.

@Chris
    If this sounds interesting....

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

:eek: there are sewers in Soltown?! Man I never knew that! Granted the only side quests I have done are related to cabalists, so it makes sense!

Back OT, this idea sounds fine, just needs to be levelled to be a % of exp towards next level to a certain degree. A player usually starts off adventurer level 10, so here is the impsct on their adventurer level depending on the chosen option of Free Exp per Day :

2m exp / Day

A new adventurer logs on as a lvl 10, before he has done anything meaningful, he is now level 58. Granted he doesn't know how to see his level so he won't see the impact, but Chris Mentioned on stream that they will add more info like Adv.Lvl to the character sheet.

20k exp / level / day

A new adventurer starts off level 10, and before he does anything meaningful, he is now adv.lvl. 34.

I think as a somewhat solution to this, a good formula revolving around giving the right amount of exp/level/day could simply be be the new reward from the Oracle, so a new player wont jump a few levels without knowing why, and would actually see an explanation of why it happened by speaking with the oracle.

11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I get 10k. @Chris can you please credit to my xp pool the years of getting shorted 5k a day which should equal billions of lost xp? Thanks.

12. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

the extra there is from extra character slots.

13. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

How many Avatars do you have on your account? I think there's a bonus of 5k per extra avatar!

FrostII likes this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Both above are correct.

15. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

Aw, come on everybody .. ~10/20k is plenty! With that much we can.. er..

Hang on I'll think of something

Witcheypoo likes this.
  16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I think the biggest benefit here is the gamifcation of housing/events/ and kind of even crafting.

With this addition, someone deciding to host an event isn't just putting up a bunch of time (and usually prizes), they're also getting an XP reward.

So suddenly hosting and attending the Swap Meet, or Tavern Night, etc, is gaining the player something in actual game terms, not just social time.

17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I did not know that. Cool. I have 1 avatar on my account.

18. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

Ah, so really we're looking at including a social-xp bar in addition to adventuring and crafting.
    With enough social-xp we can unlock dance moves and maybe even unlock slots on our friends list.

:D Specializing in dance parties unlocks VIP tables and dance glyphs for your hotbar.
    Before that, though, we should make sure there are multi-emote dances requiring syncopated emotes via "dance-bar" and the music system. I like where this is going
    This is a great way to distract the dev team away from less important work. I can see the line-dances now...

Remember in UO when everyone would get in a line and just spam the "bow" emote? Psh. Archaic. Just wait until SOTA unveils their premium danceparty tech.

Here's a question - Which generates more Adventuring xp? Huntin monsters with a weapon all day? Or attending a swap meet?

"Hey Galahad, how did you become such a brave hero?"
    "Dancing."
    "Of course!"

:D:D:D

19. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

we already have that:

"Hey Galahad, how did you become such a skilled tailor?"
    "Mining."
    "Of course!"

20. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

Good, then it is harmonious with the other systems and implementation will be a breeze!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.