Daily XP Pool - Get more people playing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aetrion, Nov 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

About 10 million XP a week is a reasonable rate of advancement in this game. That's about a year to get enough XP to GM all skills, and then about another year to take 2-3 trees to 120. Taking a 4x innate to 150 will take about a year as well. You'd still have to play for over 30 years to take a single 1x skill to 200 on those gains. Getting people to play a game consistently for several years is more useful to a game than to get them to grind like crazy for a few months, or simply quit when they realize grinding is the only real way to raise the XP they need.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  2. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

This is a good summary.

But also certain things of just being a Governor in your own town, Decorating, Placing Lots, Stocking Vendors. Farming(gives little xp, compared to gathering in wild), Fishing. And everything Listed By Vladamir Begemot. Just great examples of Hours upon hours of being Social/Market/Helping others that has nothing to do with Adventuring and Or Crafting that you gain in reality nothing for doing any of it.

3. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

You might not gain anything "in reality" as you say - but the general idea is that these activities provide an intrinsic value despite not being tallied or recorded in any statistical way.

4. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

That might be, But me spending 30 days decorating my POT, and then hosting an event, planning etc. Giving out Millions in prizes. I do this for the fun of it, Not to get anything out of it. All i was suggesting as the OP stated, is it would be nice to get something just for being here, for a couple hours a day 1m/hour for 2 hours just because. It would just be something nice, as an added bonus for being logged into this game for the 8+ hours I generally am here.

Cordelayne and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  5. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Also to add, we are trying to attract more players, and get more active players, and retain the ones we do have. People like "FREE". Shroud is F2P after all...

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't know about you all but I get 15k experience every day for just logging in.

Jaesun likes this.
  7. oplek

oplek Avatar

I bought the game, and it went free. I should have waited.
    I bought a tax free property deed, and then the property taxes halved. I should have waited.
    I did a bunch of grinding for xp, then the xp-doubling went permanent. I should have waited.

And now we're discussing essentially eliminating the point of having a pool or earning XP in the first place. I should wait.

What this game does is trains me to not play. Just wait around for wonderful things to be delivered to my front doorstep for showing up, if I'm just a little patient.

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Same here (4 characters).

That is only Adventure XP....

Barugon likes this.
  9. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

For me the biggest problem with grinding in SOTA was the weird double grind.

Grind once to get an XP pool and then grind again to use it up and (hopefully) raise a skill or two. Double the pain ! Why not simply grind and gain skill as you go along like UO and every other game I have ever played.

Bizarre.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Hmm... I usually just set the skill to Learning and it raises as I use it... while I'm getting experience.

11. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

Yea, I infinitely prefer the UO system where your skills can go up no matter what you do. With SOTA you often do the bulk of the work for actually raising something by doing something completely different, like if you want to raise Charm Animal to 100 chances are you'll spend ten times as much time fighting liches as you will charming animals to get it up there.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, UO's system was totally perfect... moving square by square in a boat, performing the same action over and over.

Pifester and Witcheypoo like this.
  13. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

You're misrepresenting what the UO system was about. 8x8 was a cheesy powergaming tactic that exploited the system, not the point of it. A better check on what skill uses are eligible for gains can easily eliminate such problems, like simply having to actually hit an enemy with an attack for it to count toward gains.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  14. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

You become a Govenor to be able to build a town to your own vision. It shouldn't require rewards from the game in doing so. Folks moving in, I would think is one's reward.

Sorry but I totally disagree with that statement. You choose to run a town and all the work that comes with it. Same with being a Hospitaller with helping folks. The rewards are in your doing it.

15. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Sure, it will help to solve largest SOTA problem - population.
    Casual players should explore the world not grinding.
    1-2 kk per day will be ok. Hit 120 level - 100-200k per day.
    XP in SOTA should stop be the holy grail.
    @Chris Lets start from 500k per day ;)

16. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Really so you build up your xp pool at the same time as using it up ?

17. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I don't think it would help. The only thing this game really need IMHO is a better questing system.

Fun quests with different ones every 7 days, repeatable monthly. (so if you miss it, they can be done later)
    Quarterly unique rewards, that go away and can only be bought from vault after the fact.

I mean there is only so much socializing I can do in the game before I'm like... give me a raid! Give me dragon scales to make unique armor (again quarterly). Examples of stuff that will make me want to play every day. Outside of socializing there is no reason to return everyday, there is no MISS OUT factor to the game.

18. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Alright, So using that same logic, I will just stop all of it. Drop the town let it just sit empty like the rest. I wont participate in any events, bring in/help new players. I will go back to only caring about myself. So that means See ya shroud because nothing to do in this game if you remove the social aspect, minus grinding xp. But Thats cool I guess.

Meanwhile, Login to the game STREAM it and get rewarded. But they get stuff just because they have better bandwidth and can do it, whatever .

Same goes for the QA, My net sucks sorry 1.5mb so downloading QA and testing with the updates cant download another big client SO also leaves me out with no chance of getting those rewards or even a chance at them.

Twich/Livestream rewards. First they are RANDOm from chris so hard to get in, then the Scheduled ones, i cant play and watch so Its pick on or the other, or watch it way later after the fact and still miss out.

Account sellers just multi client and raise alts and sell a level 100 char to a new player for $50-100, because the reward is just playing the game right?

$30-40USD/Million is just playing the game right?

Also to your comment, show me a new player(s) dropping 4k+ for POT(s)

Sum it up with, My reward for helping the game you say is nothing or just knowing I helped someone else. Why the hell do we give out Coto's and Streamer etc etc etc Contest all that then If playing the game is supposed to be the reward.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  19. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Quests fix the game for some people, but even then its still just a DAILY grind thing.... So you might be happy with that. But Daily grind quest are just the same rinse and repeat band-aid that a lot of us are trying to avoid.

20. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

It wouldn't hurt.

I think its a pretty cool idea that @Aetrion has in the OP.

Any argument against this seems kind of silly to me. It would help everyone and hurt nobody.

Yah otherwise your wasting time

Silently, Barugon, Witcheypoo and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.