Daily tasks and quests discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aartemis, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Mail delivery is there in air quotes as it gives gold but no xp.

Perhaps there should be trader quests that require finding a random traveling vendor. A collector looking for a randomly determined piece of art from the random sculptor, a barmaid looking for a stitch in time from the peasant clothing vendor, and possibly giving Shandy Chapman something special for a trading quest. That will encourage people to hit up the random encounters more.

Bedawyn and Alley Oop like this.
  2. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

There was an idea a while back of giving a buff to sitting in certain locations for a while. This should be linked to that. It could make use of the old adventuring xp buff that was discontinued after persistence.

3. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

On Elgarion's stream about a week back we had a talk about the upcoming Bards and how they could do more then just In-Combat buffs.
    Here is what I sent to Chris:

So hey we were talking on legion of myth stream and Bards should have combat/party buffs like you outlined

BUT also Tavern/Town Buffs that are longer term. Build the Sandbox, Inns, Taverns and towns community. Now get this...

While the bard is performing with all the wonderful ABC Music, they ALSO need to gain "interactive reactions from the crowd" to build/stack the intensity of the buff.

So requesting people to Dance, Smoke, Raise a Glass, Drink, Cheer. Then as the AOE of people in the audience perform that requested emote the BUFF power builds.

Make it be a 1-5 hour buff based on crowd reactions and power based on the same? Expand it in the future to number of bards playing... lots of Phase 2 ideas.

This is another great idea on how you take the current music system, combine it with already created emotes to build a community activity that builds multi-player actions.

4. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Oh yeah, I forgot about these. I did them once, but as @kaeshiva said they aren't worth repeating. If they are worth repeating than to me their not really daily quests. In most other games the daily quests offer a bit more xp, gold, or anything more than normal quests which are why they are only repeatable once a day.

majoria70 likes this.
  5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The thing about quests - most of them aren't worth doing at all if you're talking "reward for your time" perspective.
    Some of them have interesting storylines, if you can get past the dialogue box frustrations, journal frustrations, and such.
    Most quests (aside from the main storyline) the standard reward is like 8000 experience and <100 gold (daily or otherwise). The siege daily is 24,000 experience and 800 gold.
    It makes absolutely no sense to me to go do a quest that's going to take me 20 minutes of running around, to get back 8000 xp. Its a waste of time.
    Not when even casually banging around a Tier 5 scene picking bushes and chopping trees nets me >150k adventurer and producer in an hour, quite likely a good deal more than that depending on where.

The outskirts quests when you start out offer a pretty decent return, mostly because of the producer component. But even low level avatars can do better just killing road encounter stuff or wandering into any low tier scene. So aside from like, your first week in the game, the only quests that are really worth bothering with are the ones that give a unique deco item that there's no other way to get. The xp/cash rewards are completely negligible.

6. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I agree 100% Whatever this system would be it would have to be a time-valued experience. Chris wants to build areas of the game where XP can be gotten in such gross amounts that players have to be attenuated. Why in the hell can't we get a Kill system that doesn't rely on someone being a Fire/Death mage to burn stuff to the ground to gain daily desired experience??

In this system you are already putting in the same time someone who is attenuating by burning down 10,000 zombies, so why not reward players who choose not to take those skills but are still willing to put in the time to play the game? Maybe everyone does not want to melt zombies with fire. Lets mix things up. I see no issue with giving players large amounts of XP for completing daily kill quests instead of joining wave battle or massive mob killing groups. Its about choice, style, changing it up and offering different types of content. BUT it has to be worth it and for some reason it seems like if your not mass killing monsters you don't deserve to get mass XP. I think thats wrong.

Bedawyn and Fister Magee like this.
  7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

@Aartemis this is a great idea!

A neat way to integrate pvp into this would be to allow players to choose to be hunted and hunt bountys.

What im picturing is I would opt-in to the job board, and then select a location to teleport to with a tp scroll. After arriving in that location, if a player chooses a bounty job it would give him my location and have some sort of message like "Adam Crow has been spotted strip mining the Spectral mines, do you wish to hunt him down and claim his ransom?" If they accept, they would be teleported to the scene and if they kill me they can claim my ransom like in pvp. I would not be able to claim their ransom, but instead just a body part for killing them. I would also receive a small gathering or xp bonus while I have the bounty job open. After someone claims my ransom i would lose the bonus and have to opt back in at a job board. They could return to the job board and hand in my body part to complete the mission. They would receive the body part back as a trophy and gain a small xp bonus. Maybe after a certain number of successful hunts they could gain a title they can display as well.

It would be open to as many players that accept it, so after a while there might be multiple bounty hunters in the instance competing to try and kill me. If the ransom is claimed or i log out or flee, it could give the bounty hunters that were still in the zone a pop up asking if they would like to search for a new bounty, and if one is available it would teleport them to that scene. (Like the way the follow option works when you're party leader leaves a scene. )

Since i would be gaining a bonus for gathering/xp and to avoid the possibilty of gaming the system maybe the ransom would be a flat rate of gold. So i would lose 5000 gold and the bounty hunter would gain 2500. The other 2500 gold would just be lost and be a small gold sink. Something along those lines might be fun. Im not sure how many players would opt into something like this but i would probably do it constantly. You could have it gated by adventure levels, so low level players don't get sent to try and kill high level players and vice versa.

Bedawyn and majoria70 like this.
  8. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

For the PvP side of it, Richard always wanted this. Danger off the paths, less danger on the paths. Missions to take things to other towns down dangerous roads and then counter missions to try and stop the deliveries! While this varies in a few ways the core remains the same. Allowing someone to take a job that they KNOW will be dangerous while at the same time countering the Mission from the opposite direction.

With all the quick travel, deliveries wont work but other types of jobs could!

Adam Crow likes this.
  9. Aldornia

Aldornia Avatar

I've been playing for a year, but still feel like a new player. In regards to the above quests, I had no idea about them. Need a better way to find out about stuff.

Jaesun likes this.
  10. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Perhaps you cannot fast travel when on such a delivery? Good convo so far! Keep it up!

11. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Yeah you know, maybe its just that simple. No scrolls or teleport with an active delivery job.
    Since there are a few methods, including the old group leader teleports and you follow, a pass would have to be made to ensure the loopholes are closed.

I do like the thought of great reward for the danger because you will have people trying to do it off hours, using underground maps (aha, again no party only zones on deliver jobs!) to get it done. Probably would need to be timed too nothing major, but maybe needs to be done in a couple hours or its forfeit?

12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

These, when they are added, are in the Release Notes. So be sure to read them.

Alley Oop likes this.
  13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

That's actually not true. Here are actual numbers I have recorded (JUST for the rune bag). This is however a small sample size.

10/01/2019 10:12
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 16303
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU RAM: 8079
    SotA.Win.64.1046.Date.09.30.19
    Area: Novia_R9_Forest01_01
    Area Display Name: South Boundless Forest
    Loc: (299.3, 40.0, 355.2)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjlfRm9yZXN0MDFfMDF8fCgyOTkuMjc4LCA0MC4wMjQsIDM1NS4xNTgpfCgwLCAwLjg5NiwgMCwgLTAuNDQ1KXwyMzIuOTQwMXwxOC44Njc1OHw5LjM2NDUxOQ==

Time to find bag: 8:38

10/01/2019 20:58
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    SotA.Win.64.1046.Date.09.30.19
    Loc: (300.9, 40.0, 354.7)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjlfRm9yZXN0MDFfMDF8fCgzMDAuOTQzLCA0MC4wMzQsIDM1NC43MTYpfCgwLCAwLjg5NSwgMCwgLTAuNDQ3KXwyMzMuMTl8MjUuMzY2ODh8OS4zNjQ1MTk=

Time to find Bag: 8:23

10/02/2019 19:22
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    SotA.Win.64.1047.Date.10.01.19
    Loc: (306.0, 40.3, 359.1)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjlfRm9yZXN0MDFfMDF8fCgzMDUuOTc1LCA0MC4yNTMsIDM1OS4xMjQpfCgwLCAwLjkxNywgMCwgLTAuMzk5KXwyMjcuMTkwM3wyMy44NzY2MXw5LjM2NDUxOQ==

Time to find bag: 4:15

10/03/2019 20:07
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    Loc: (312.2, 40.5, 365.5)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjlfRm9yZXN0MDFfMDF8fCgzMTIuMTU0LCA0MC41MzMsIDM2NS40NTQpfCgwLCAwLjkxNCwgMCwgLTAuNDA2KXwyMjcuOTQwM3wxMHw5Ljg0NDUwOA==

Time: 2:03

10/04/2019 20:16
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    Loc: (305.9, 40.2, 359.2)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjlfRm9yZXN0MDFfMDF8fCgzMDUuODU1LCA0MC4yNDgsIDM1OS4yNDIpfCgwLCAwLjkwOCwgMCwgLTAuNDE5KXwyMjkuNjkwM3wyNy40ODUwMXwxMS4wNTQwMw==

Time to find bag: 1:49

10/05/2019 21:13
    Title:
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker?
    Details:
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    SotA.Win.64.1048.Date.10.04.19
    Loc: (302.0, 40.1, 356.6)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjlfRm9yZXN0MDFfMDF8fCgzMDIuMDE1LCA0MC4xNDIsIDM1Ni42MTYpfCgwLCAwLjkwNSwgMCwgLTAuNDI1KXwyMzAuNDQwNnwxNy4zMjY5OHwxMS4wNTQwMw==

Time to find bag: 4:20

14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Thanks for posting this Jaesun - its a good illustration and I know you caveat that the sample size is small.
    But if you assume that you must:

• Travel to town to get the quest from wherever you live, (at least one load screen, unless you live in Yew, I guess)
    • Navigate to the npc, and back out of town
    • Leave town (load screen),
    • Go to forest (load screen),
    • Spend lets say, an average of 5 minutes finding the bag based on your times, leave forest (load screen)
    • Walk back to town (load screen)
    • and back to NPC
    my estimate of 20 minutes doesn't seem that far off.
    Call it 10 minutes because you load really fast and have done the quest so many times that you have become very efficient at it - it doesn't change the outcome.

If you used teleport scrolls for any of the above steps you've essentially negated the gold component of the reward.
    I'm not saying its bad, or wrong, or that people can't enjoy doing the same quest every day as an activity or alternative to just killing stuff.
    It is just not remotely comparable to the experience/gold you'd make doing just about anything else in the same amount of time.
    The other consideration is, that if you're doing something else, you can keep doing it instead of doing a: 'zone-talk-zone-walk-zone-getbag-zone-walk-zone-talk-done'.
    I'm not even benchmarking this against grinding scenes like UT.
    Unless you're very very new to the game, just about anything else is more exp in that amount of time.

Honestly what I'd -rather- see instead of just a "lets beef up the quest xp" is for the quest to serve another purpose, i.e. you retrieve 10 runebags you unlock something else, and do that so many times you unlock something else. Maybe get a decorative runebag container to put in your house every 10th time or something. With different symbols on them, so you see somene with THAT runebag, its special, it took a lot of effort to get. Its not something you could just throw money at, its a reflection of ingame achievement. That would incentivize me to do it. The current xp gold/rewards are not incentive.

A daily quest should be special. Its a limited, once per day only thing that you have the option of doing. It should either give a better, or unique, reward for choosing to do it rather than your normal activities. Otherwise ...what's the point? "One off quests" sure, you do for the story, but a daily repeatable, not so much.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

That’s actually a good point. Just leaving my home, running to the scene, enter scene, kill till item drops. Leave scene, head to Yew. Enter Yew, go to Pendro, give bag, leave Yew.

That entire process probably takes around 20-30 15 minutes. For 8,000 xp. From an efficiency standpoint it is literally a waste of time.

But what the hell, I still do it anyways.

EDIT: In one sample run total time needed to do one Rune Bag quest was 12:47 minutes.
    That is from start to finish (From my home, to exiting Yew after giving the bag).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Sulaene Moon and kaeshiva like this.
  16. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

You could just use instances to group people together too. Some players would join as messengers delivering goods and others would be bandits. A bandit (someone flagged pvp) could opt in to receive messages when a delivery is taking place and could choose to leave what they're doing to go try and stop the delivery. Then both the messenger and the bandit would be placed into an instance to battle it out. The messenger could try and fight them head on, or maybe take a stealthy approach and try and sneak by. Dark Souls has pvp sections of the game that worked pretty well with this type of combat. I bet it wouldn't be too difficult to implement something similar in Sota. Usually the point of pvp is to fight each other, so the easier it is to find an opponent the better.

I think with the way Sota is set up with the overworld map and instances there are tons of great possibilities for daily quests for pve and pvp.

Fister Magee likes this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ransom system interferes with so much. It needs to go away so players will do neat things like mentioned in this thread. Pvp quests with good rewards and rewards could be tokens for buying things, titles with buffs, and different things. We wouldn't need ransom if we had nice pvp incentives and rewards. Well imo it needs to be scrapped for more incentive to pvp.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    kaeshiva likes this.
  18. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Not really sure how it would. With teleport scrolls I would just teleport to the instance with the quest and bypass the overworld map. It just adds extra unwanted loading times. Now if you mean the random instances like the bandits, skellies, wolfs, trolls, etc then perhaps. In the end, the daily quests would have to be worth their time. Currently, they are not and I don't think this will be addressed anytime soon or future.

19. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That wouldn't work. Im saying there should be a separate encounter both parties are pulled into for the combat and delivery. There would be no way to circumvent it. If you went for the delivery and there were no human bandits available at your level, they could just spawn some npc mobs to fill in. But the whole point of this would be to encourage pvp engagement.

One side is trying to deliver a package and the other is trying to steal it. Whichever side wins could have a place to turn it in for a reward - for example the delivery destination for the good guys, or a pawn shop type place for the bandits.

Sulaene Moon likes this.
  20. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Ahhh got ya! That makes sense. you're are right it would encourage it. Like it!

Adam Crow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.