Would you pony up more cash to hire some DM devs to run events?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bankchick, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bankchick

Bankchick Avatar

I am curious, for those left in the game currently. What do you think about a stretch goal that would allow @Chris to pay 2 or 3 full/part time DM types to actually host in game events . Possibly add some lore leading up to events. Some could be large planned occurrences others just off the cuff invasions, etc. I think it might be a good actually workable solution to the vast swaths of area we have on the map that no one visits and is essentially unused. There would of course be opportunities to have both PVE and PVP events. I also think that this would not require a hugely unattainable reworking of the core gameplay dynamics, which as we know are NOT going to be changing, ever. Obviously with the companies financial woes, this would all fall on the community to pay for, so there would have to be a new stretch goal to raise the 1st years salary.

Thoughts?

Daigoji Gai likes this.
  2. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

Honestly, no. I'd much rather more people were put on creating regular content than having people run live events that I may not even be around for.

Mishikal, Olthadir, Kaffien and 10 others like this.
  3. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Actually there is a new project in the works where certain players who have shown ability to lead events will be given limited GM powers using time-limited potions to run player events. The subset of GM powers will be limited to summoning players, monsters, going invisible, and other tools not very dangerous to to exploit.

This is actually coming pretty soon (tm) from what I understand.

4. Bankchick

Bankchick Avatar

Hrmm, I feel like that is sort of a half measure that will cause strife on the server base. You raise one of the crabs out of the bucket and the other crabs get jealous.
    I think that the DMs should have zero vested interest in the game outside of their roles. Ah well, it was just a thought and would probably never be implemented anyway.

5. Nick

Nick Avatar

How about DM from other devs from other projects? There were talks about cross promotions.
    Or pay high profile streamers (from other games) to DM events?

Perhaps even invite old friends like Raph Koster for an hour session to tell a story or two. :p

.dao. likes this.
  6. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Was gonna say.. why pay to do that when it's being done for FREE as noted above.

You can BANK on it. Already Grumbles from the Crabs.

Olthadir and Sentinel2 like this.
  7. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'd rather the funds went towards improving the core game, that could be enjoyed in offline mode too.

Mishikal, ephialtes, arcdevil and 3 others like this.
  8. Trinity

Trinity Avatar

If you are unaware, there have been several "Black Sails" events totally hosted by game members.
    The forum role playing thread is here:

Black Sails, The New Dawn

The current event will be in Blood Bay
    (probably during the No Loot period so no one is fearful of 'loosing their stuff')

This event is OPEN to anyone interested in joining.
    The last events were crazy fun.

@CatherineRose for more information or just jump in and post something on the current thread.

BTW: it is FREE and done because we LOVE SOTA​

9. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I agree, I think the players can make pretty good content if given enough tools. I can see a CS person maybe to coordinate with the player GMs. EQ had a pretty successful "guide" program where players had some special monster spawning powers and also served as a first line for customer support questions and general game direction questions. Granted those people used to not be able to perform there duties on the server they normally played on and had to file an application. We don't have that multiple servers here and a million players. Will we all be jealous of the chosen few, probably. :) Of course I would love to host an event, but there are a few who just do such a great job that I feel I wouldn't do it justice. We have some very talented people in game with a decent amount of time to devote to these creative endeavors. I think it is great that Chris recognizes them.

10. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

11. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

My gods man, with all the truly amazing single player games out there, why on earth would you chose this game to play completely alone? Just want to know.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  12. oplek

oplek Avatar

Well for one, I'm slowly realizing that the existence other players are the antithetical to my ability to enjoy a game. You jerks.

Second, part of my point is that I'd like it to become one of those amazing single player games, that'll be available long after the online servers go offline. We're not quite there yet.

Olthadir, ephialtes, arcdevil and 2 others like this.
  13. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

I am sure that will be amazing and everyone will come rushing back. I cant wait!

14. necronut

necronut Avatar

I honestly think the term "stretch goal" needs be kept as far away from Shroud as possible.

moko, Elwyn, Hazard and 6 others like this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I would not put up more cash for DM's but perhaps for more Devs. I do already have the subscription to help support the game. Yes stretchgoals did not work out for this game. I don't agree though that we should keep all cash transactions out. Returning episode 2 mount bundles, pirate bundles, etc is a shame to miss out on for players. Just having the Lord of the Isle bundles does the game a dis-service to not offer lower priced bundles for those who would buy them. It should not be an all or nothing type of situation and some players should not dictate that we don't have some cash draws in a free to play game that depends on cash to keep it alive. So sad.

16. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

I think everyone would love for this game to have single player repeatability forever and be amazing and have tame unicorns to fart rainbows on my sugar cookies...lol.
    Seriously, has there been any work on the single player game? I have never logged in on single player and honestly feel like this game is a vast wasteland on multiplayer with 200 some odd players out there. Is it fundamentally different in single player? Who is there to tell you you are stupid and kill you when you are farming in the shardfalls? Who clears out the rounds in UT while you stand in the corner checking the soccer scores? I guess some upsides are super short guild meetings and being able to keep your vendors stocked .

Have you ever played Kingdom Come Deliverance? That game is like watching a movie. I was so immersed after 8 hours that i found myself speaking Hungarian. now THAT is a single player game my friend.

arcdevil and Bankchick like this.
  17. Bankchick

Bankchick Avatar

KCD was pretty amazing. Warhorse knows how to make a game. Maybe its just that Eastern Europeans are better at this stuff then we lazy greedy Americans. I am going to tweeter the Donald about making American game developers great again!

Greyfox and Cordelayne like this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

From what I understand, anyone can do it. You just need to create a new (free) account to get it flagged and the GM part comes in the form of a time-limited consumable.

Olthadir and Anpu like this.
  19. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I would not donate more for DMed events. Then again I am not the OPed target audience as I have been always here and never left. I still give $9 a month on a subscription. BUT...

IN the past five years I have DMed the Welcome Quest, D&D themed "Dark Tower in Dara Brae" events, various "Dara Brae" events, Irish Ceilli events, etc. If I had more tools, I would come up with more and more content.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Honestly regardless of their status.. paid or not.. it's all about finding the right people to do the job. Players will be too busy caring about the quality of the events to care about the DM's status as either a player or employee. :) Yeah if you let the wrong player do it and they abuse the position ie promoting their own agenda and friends.. they will quickly become unpopular among the masses.

Believe it or not it's a lot of work and the role won't attract that many qualified people, but there are good people out there who can take the job on. Whether they'll perform the role the way players want is another question entirely. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.