A plea

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ulskanine, Nov 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulskanine

Ulskanine Avatar

Before i get into this, i would like to say that i am a big fan of Shroud.. Even though
    i am still a relatively new player having registered my first account in Aug of 2017,
    i have easily put a few thousand dollars into this game without regret even now while
    i write this.

My first real money purchase came with the start up of a second account in Jan of 2018, which
    would turn out to be my primary account. The Bundle i purchased was the
    "Shogun 2-story row Tax free bundle", followed by a few smaller purchases. in Feb of 2018 i purchased a
    "Viking 2-story Row Tax free bundle" for my original account. At this point I'm now throwing at the
    very least enough money to qualify for the telethon rewards for both my accounts.

At this point i am now throwing money at Shroud like a crazy pigeon lady throws bread in the park,
    buying everything from Cotos to dye packs,to armor, and even grandfather clocks.
    In July of 2018 i open a 3rd account with a Obsidian starter bundle originally to play around with the virtue
    system. I begin putting more than enough money to qualify all 3 account for the telethon rewards.

In 2019 i made easily my biggest purchase. A Player owned town. a Holdfast that would become
    "Isle of Jala's song". Which i wanted because i now have 3 Town lots and 4 village lots used for farming
    that i kept having a hard to finding home for.

The reason i am opening with this is to show that i am very invested into Shroud, i am not just a hater.
    But i am having problems with a few choices being made...

One currently most of all.

Heritage items.

I understand there is a lot of money that floats around from 3rd parties who buy rare items and then sells
    them to people later who either missed the original selling or what not, and you want more money. that's
    fine.. i get it. But surely you could have come up with a better idea than this.

You originally claimed the Heritage tag would let you sell items cheaper,and we get $45 Heritage teleporters and
    $130 Heritage homes, you give us a $15 Heritage tree compared to a $15 non-heritage tree, and a $20
    heritage blood splatter pack.

You then claim heritage is to give the items legs, and we get a $2 Heritage wreath. and a lot of other small
    cheap deco items.

I argue this is not going to give you the legs you are looking for. And i am about to argue it in the only way
    i can. With my pocket book. Not because i hate Shroud, but because i love my money. i love my investment.
    I love Shroud. I thought it was a great idea, when Heritage was introduced for Vault items, it ensured
    that people who got the original items still had more than the people who got them from the vault.

But then you got greedy.
    You started making everything new Heritage. even the $130 house, the $45 teleporters. and the $2 Wreaths.
    I love Shroud, and i love my money, i consider Shroud an investment in my entertainment. and i aint happy
    with the direction of my investment. And so i am not going to be investing as much into it.

So starting next month, of my 5 accounts i will end the subscriptions on all but 2 of them. I have already
    openly refused to purchase Heritage items. And now since nothing new is being added that isn't Heritage,
    I am drastically cutting back my coto purchases all together.

My plea is simply that the direction of the Heritage items be seriously reconsidered.

Maybe i am the only one who feels this way, but i doubt it.

Uls-

2. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

I think heritage items are a great idea. I think $130 for a heritage house is a terrible idea. Heritage items should be aimed at selling more and killing off the secondary market. $20-$30 for a house should be what they're looking at. $2 for a wreath seems fine though.

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

When I saw the heritage Items, I thought, "Finally, something for my budget". On good months I am willing to put 100$ into Shroud, and you know what, with the prices of the heritage Items, I am still giving my money to other players, not to shroud, because I still cant afford, or find it a terrible move, to give them my money for what I am getting back.

The new crown store was supposed to offer the possibility of buying items in unities instead of packs, apart from the potions, it isn't true.
    The heritage Items were supposed to be cheaper, yet 45$ for a dungeon teleporter isnt cheap, and most decos are still at around 5-10$ for a 3 pack... why cant we have dollar store decos like cici said? Have heritage versions of the current decos, sell them by the unit, for small decos 1$, and go up from there, somewhat slowly. And do it in units, because If I have to pay for a 3 pack, that I cant resell, but need only 1, then I am screwed out of money, so I wont buy it...

K1000, Mishikal, Anpu and 3 others like this.
  4. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Well, not an easy situation ...

There are really both understandable sides.

I think it is right to grant "old" backers the exclusive state of their items.
    So if Vault Items come in to help others who couldn't participate earlier, because they didn't knew about, the Heritage idea is good.

But besides, which items should have the state of Heritage?

--> Monthly login reward: for sure. Everybody can get them by entering.
    --> Monthly rewards from the reward program? Well, that's one thing to receive frequently money. And also something, people choose, because they want to sell items to others ...

If we are talking about "market", we should have a view on two markets:
    - IN GAME (trading items, selling for gold or Cotos))

- REAL LIFE (selling for real money)

So, question is: what's the intention of Heritage items?

I think, every item, which a player BOUGHT IN game should be tradable IN game.
    (No, exclusive items, bought from Vault, should not, to keep the promise!)

But, items from the rewards program? No-Vault-Items bought in shop?

If someone wants to get some money back, because (s)he is in need, (s)he can't sell Heritage items, so (s)he has to sell the whole account?
    I think, this is the problem for people who spend alot of money.

Maybe there could be a clear border, for example: All items over $100, which are not vault items(!), can't be Heritage.
    So the most bought items, the game has, "micro transactions" would have no copmpetition ... [The question is: Should Crowns -received in game- be Heritage? ;)]

However, it's not easy ...

5. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Additionally, Heritage/No-Trade items that can only be stored in banks (not in regular containers) should NOT take up bank space (as the new Bookshelf containers currently do).

Caree Death and Nicholas Dark like this.
  6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Why not have 2 versions of the same item in srore? The heritage version, for a relatively cheap price, and a regular version, with a somewhat higher price?

This could allow low spenders to buy for cheap, knowing they are stuck with the item for eved, and higher spenders can buy higher because they will get some return if they want?

7. oplek

oplek Avatar

I mean, I'd say more like $1. $30 is enough to buy an entire other game.

arcdevil, Elwyn, eli and 3 others like this.
  8. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

My question is, what do you think is wrong with heritage items? That they are too expensive?

9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

if that's still on 1078, report, please. (also, list was looking at the putting them in containers thing, though i don't know how that's going)

10. Paladin Michael

Also a good idea, like all others.
    I assume it is not solving the whole situation, why Heritage items were creeated ...

I am really not for or against anything.

Lesni likes this.
  11. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

I just can't bring myself to buy pricey Heritage Items, that I'm not sure I will still want or need in a few months. As in the past, I could just sell or trade an item for something else I may or may not like! :) Honestly, I would have never been involved in this game if everything I owned could only be store bought and non-transferable.

I have bought cheap Heritage Items that are sub 1000 COTO, I think any Heritage Item market should strive for items that can't ever cost more than 1000 COTO. When a person pays in excess of that, they should be able to do whatever they'd like to do with it.

What was the reason for Heritage Items again?

12. Paladin Michael

13. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

To make sure revenue from those sales went to port, and could not be recycled.

Vault aitems were supposed to be a resale of exclusive items, at a hefty price, while heritage was supposed to be a counter to "investors" while providing a cheaper alternative.

Right now, only the vault does its job, Heritage is still too pricy for what it is.

14. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

The main problem here is that simply too much stuff is in the store instead of craftable in game. A selection of premium items should be available as no trade purchases, but the lions share of houses, deco, etc., should be craftable instead of purchasable. Having far more of any particular item being available in a store compared to being able to be made is the wrong way around for a game.

15. Ulskanine

Ulskanine Avatar

My main view of what is wrong with Heritage is that, if i am putting real life money into these items i should be freely able to trade them off in game as i see fit. Sell them off for in-game gold give them away. it should be my choice.

FrostII, Adam Crow and majoria70 like this.
  16. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Here is the problem with the Heritage items:
    Heritage = 1. property that is or may be inherited;
    2. Valued objects ... that have been passed down from previous generations.
    (oxford dictionary)

These items can not be given to your heirs or anyone else: DUH !

I do not want to be part of a SOTA bashing contest.
    I love the game.
    (I have about 10 accounts from the highest levels to the lowest)
    I also have subscriptions for each that I own.
    (at this time)

However, I purchased the other accounts to get the benefits of them on my MAIN avatar and to be able to share the items with my friends.

If this heritage stuff continues I will soon discontinue most of my subscriptions because they can not share their purchases.

I have never sold anything on any of my accounts, but I love to GIVE things to others and especially to new avatars.
    These Heritage items are soon to be the only things I can get and give.
    BUT I can't give them so I won't buy them.
    I would love to be able to support the game in the ways that I have in the past but having Heritage items will not allow that.

@Chris Please come up with a different way to accomplish your goals without penalizing others for sharing their items with others.

17. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

While I was at University getting my teaching certificate I was told a story by a professor. He taught high school math and told all his students they would receive a C regardless of performance. Rather than spend all the time worrying about failing they could relax and learn the material, which was the whole point of the class. However many parents came in to argue the policy wasn't fair. Their reasoning: my child's A means nothing if everyone passes. They were more concerned with the perception of the value of the grade rather than how many students learned the material.

In other words, the fact that everyone passed actually lowered the value of their child's grade. If this were a medical class they'd have a point. Who wants a doctor who didn't earn high grades? But this class was basic math and the teacher was on a mission to teach more kids math, a subject notoriously hard for some people. These parents were not concerned with everyone learning math, only that their child's grade counted more.

I'm concerned that people are more interested in the exclusivity of the award rather than the financial stability of the game. I know some items were meant to be very exclusive but that ends the moment the game goes bust.

I stream and need things I can give away. I feel that pain for sure. Lets keep coming up with good ideas and push for adoption. Constructive discussion will always win out.

18. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

I don't think anyone here stated that it's about "cxclusivity of the award". We are talking about purchasing items from a shop that cannot be transferred and in some cases charging well over $100.00 for that pleasure. I like to think that I have the "pulse" of the common man when it comes to this particular subject. It's telling me that there is no way I will ever pay $100.o0 for an item that can't be transferred. If many do have that same thought, then how much of these items are they really selling? Has their revenue massively increased since the implementation? I bet you the sub-1000 COTO item purchases would show an increase in revenue activity, but I'm not so sure about those 10,000+ COTO items.

Nicholas Dark and Ulskanine like this.
  19. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

Honestly, a LOT of people dropped A LOT of money in this game early, because of the promise of an unimpeded free market. The Dev's came out early in support of the RMT and the players invested because of it. They used the fact that some of these items would be available until this date and then they would be unavailable going forward. That certain items would be of finite quantity. People invested in this game as not only a game but a business and the devs were at the VERY least , complicit if not actively encouraging it. So long story short, that money has been collected and spent and now they need to come up with new ways to generate income. Hence the Heritage tag. It is really a very dishonest and in bad faith move on the part of the company to encourage investors and then to pull the "lawyer me, bro" by saying things like, "Well the actual language states something different than what we promised you". Its very shady . I think unethical and this move to remove RMT is nothing more than a way to avoid responsibility for past broken promises and if the new company thought they could make one more dollar by supporting RMT, they would be.

20. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

I had this really long statement wrote out and decided to just +1 the OP. No matter what I say here it is irrelevant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.