Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Increase in CTD in Linux Client Over Last Few Releases

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Black Tortoise, Nov 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

1. I have frequent crash to deskop in release 72, though the last few releases have had more CTD than ever before.

2. Not easy to predict rate. Stable for many hours, then several CTD in a row. Then stable for a while, then Ill get 2-3 CTD within a few minutes.

3. Not a blocker, I am getting adequate playtime :)

4. When I engage in certain activities, like equip a new item (esp if it has light), jump, change scenes, gather a resource, the screen sometimes locks up completely. I can interact with the rest of my OS just fine. Then SOTA crashes after about 1 minute of the lockup. This sometimes happens many times in a row within a few minutes, though often I play for hours with no crashes. Historically, crashes have been rare for me (Ive played since 2014).

5. Play game. Equip something fancy like a glowing mug. Screen lock. Curse. Crash.

6. Ubuntu Linux 18.04, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, intel i5 3.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM, SSD, via Steam.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What version of the driver are you using? Personally, if I were using Ubuntu then I'd be on 19.10 with the 440 driver.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  3. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Thanks for the tip. I just checked, and Im on 415. Ill swap to 440 and pray I dont have a black screen :)

Barugon likes this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you may not even need to go that far. i'm on 440 now and it's fine, but the 435 branch was very stable for me too.

Black Tortoise, Anpu and Barugon like this.
  5. Gussak

Gussak Avatar

On my ubuntu 18.04 I can play the whole day w/o a single crash/freeze,
    I have nothing fancy like "a glowing mug" only a halberd with some effects but no problem.
    Have you tried to play in windowed mode? I dont use full screen.
    Also, I put everything in the minimum quality (potato PC).
    If changing drivers dont work, try these 2 things just as a test, if it works you can prevent crashes until next update :)

6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

im on 440 now and my system is perfectly stable, i havent played SoTA much yet though. i plan to in the next few days and will report back.

i also have a weird quirk with Gnome 3 and nVidia drivers where my login screen gets unresponsive for like 25 seconds, so i hope this new driver solves that too!

the crashes occur with all sorts of actions, though I do think they happen more often when im around lots of dynamic light sources (like my town)

i full screen. i could give windowed mode a try, i do like the extra pixels in full screen though :)

i use max video settings :)

i dont intend to drop the video quality, as i havent had lots of CTD historically, so im disinclined to revert to lesser quality settings. the CTD problems used ot happen with occasional zoning, but 2 releases ago it got much more frequent, and this last release it was very frequent.

im totally willing to drop the settings if it solves CTD problems for a while. i hope the new driver works out for me, ill have lots of time to test it out this holiday weekend :)

thx for help :)

Barugon likes this.
  7. Alley Oop

how's your entropy?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Haveged

8. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

9. Gussak

Gussak Avatar

I my case it was related to too many startup apps: See http://askubuntu.com/a/227472/46437
    To just check how many are slowing your login, use this cmd:
    grep --color "^NoDisplay=true" /etc/xdg/autostart/*.desktop​
    (of course I guess we have the same paths and use the startupapps feature)

Thats why I use a very nice background and keep only the game window (other windows are minimized, and I even `nautilus -q` to vanish desktop icons xD)

10. Alley Oop

ah, that's fine. there's more reading here if you're curious, but not the key this time.

11. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Ive been playing for 2 days with no CTD since I switched to the 440 driver.

In fact, there are times when it would predictably CTD, that the SoTA client now recovers instead. Previously, when I would pan the camera real fast in a town, the screen would lock up for a few seconds, and then the client would crash. Now it fixes itself and I keep playing :)

Anpu likes this.
  12. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Do yourself a favor with nvidia drivers and use -force-vulkan in the launcher.

13. Alley Oop

That's not an improvement for everyone. In particular, for some it causes a lot of CTDs, the thing he's trying to stop. Please stop recommending it without any warning.

14. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

And you are stating this because? It is an improvement over opengl. And can you show me the exact info where you are getting the vulkan is causing CTD's?

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

For me, vulkan performs worse on my GTX 1070 and my RX 590. Unity was simply not designed around vulkan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.