A plea

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ulskanine, Nov 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

That's my hope as well, the problem is, my fear is based upon their past history and track record of not doing that. We can't keep up the charade of introducing new shiny stuff to sell to players for cashflow or to appease the latest grumblings and not finishing the ones that were introduced in past releases. Personally I think the players should band together and demand a list of 10 major items that should be finished before any work on episode 2 or other things like lua etc. Episode 2 release could be a perfect opportunity for a large media blitz and fanfare to attract some new eyes to the game, but few of them will be willing to put in the time and work for such a, not-fun in ways that it should be type of game.

Don't get me wrong, sandbox with more player input and control could be awesome in the long run, but right now we need players in the short run.

The only hope for this game is to attract new players and start to build a decent to solid playerbase. That can't happen when new players come in and are so overwhelmed by the complexity, coupled with the almost complete lack or documentation or direction, that their experiences with the half finished systems, and horrible rng, endless grinding that typically doesn't even cover your consumables costs or equipment repairs, that after a couple of weeks of the newbiness wearing off, they bail for something more immediately rewarding and fun.

IMO, It's pretty sad that Devilcult can build the start of a great character information sheet within a few weeks of lua's arrival, that gives a player so much information that should have been available to players from the beginning of design. That's what people expect, that's what people want. Why in the hell has simple stuff like that so eluded the devs to the point of madness?

Even with loot, in a typical game, you go out and grind for a few hours, afterwards you look at the loot you got and feel like your time was well spent and profitable. That's how it works, time/labor spent = profit. Not so much in shroud . . . . as a matter of fact, many times it costs you quite a bit to grind depending on reagent usage, armor/weapon repair, consumable usage, deaths involved. It just doesn't even make sense from any viewpoint at all when you are expecting people to like it that way. wtf?

2. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

If we had enough people together to represent the threat of cancelling 100+ monthly subs, I think chris might finally wake up and listen . . . . just saying.

3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Immersion! It's more immersive to be totally lost all the time, didn't you get the memo?

arcdevil and Mishikal like this.
  4. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Buff taming!!!!

Sulaene Moon likes this.
  5. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

In the wise words of the Great One from a livestream of days gone past . . . . . "suck it, tamers" :p

ahhhh ……… the good ol' days

6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I actually think the Lua stuff is one of the things that could end up redeeming SOTA, especially once the ability to manipulate the UI is done. I can't play WoW w/o Lua addons at this point because of what they provide, and I don't think it's unreasonable for SOTA to end up that way either.

7. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

I agree that Lua offers great hope of player created content, which again, I feel is this game's best hope at this point, but to me, it's still just an example of another add-on that, while interesting, doesn't address the real underlying issues that for some reason they refuse to address in a meaningful way, ie. loot, crafting rng, economy, pvp, combat clunkiness, story, quests, etc. Lua can't help with much of that other than player generated content that is still subject to the underlying systems limitations.

8. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Someone needs to design a Lua to make brewing suck less.

arcdevil and Mishikal like this.
  9. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

A well written Lua mod could replace the crafting UI (Like Skillet in WoW for example)
    A well written Lua mod could replace the god awful quest journal (Like MonkeyQuest, Questguru, or a half dozen other quest journal replacements in WoW)
    A well written Lua mod could allow one to set waypoints (Like TomTom in WoW)

I.e., it can do much more (if properly implemented in SOTA) than just player generated content. I.e., Lua could be used to make up for serious dev deficiencies that improve the game for everyone.

10. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

They didn't do that though. All their old tradeable junk that everyone playing has four or five copies of already is still tradeable. They can RMT their existing investment all they want, just can't do it with new items going forwards.

arcdevil likes this.
  11. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

But SOTA killed the rarity (and thus the RMT values). I think that's the root issue being gotten at there. For example, I wanted a full set of prosperity tools. I had a friend who had some. I paid RMT for a full set of those tools. LITERALLY the next day they showed up in the Store despite Port having said they were permanently expired, at about 1/2 the cost I just paid for a full set.

I would never pay RMT for anything in the game anymore because there's virtually nothing you can believe won't have its value destroyed. The only things (CURRENTLY) that I can think of that have any value RMT wise are:

a) All Founder deeds
    b) Benefactor keep and castle deeds

arcdevil, Gageman and Cordelayne like this.
  12. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

That's true, and I look forward to the innovation and creativity brought to the game by the PLAYERS, and try hard to hold my tongue civilly when explaining that those things should have been implemented/fixed long long ago in any respectable game that had 'launched'.

However, Lua can't fix the crappy loot tables, or the crafting rng, or the lack of pvp content. I'll concede Lua to you at this point, but I'll never concede that this dev team has had a strange and fiscally harmful organization of their priorities. Not quite what I was expecting from 'Industry Veterans'.

13. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

That's why I was very specific in which things I noted Lua could fix. ;) There is definitely a lot it can't fix. :( But I think it's a good thing to have available.

Cordelayne likes this.
  14. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

;)

15. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

They never promised they'd maintain a particular real dollar value for items. Expired items often come back in the real world, like the horrific McRib. You can still rmt the old stuff, it's just never going to be worth more than you paid for it. Which most things never were anyway, due to tens of thousands of people getting the items initially, then leaving and selling up, causing there to be far more supply than demand.

arcdevil and Sulaene Moon like this.
  16. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

I disagree my friend. Hypothetically, If I bought 15 sets of Prosperity tools at their end of sale, with the intention of reselling those at a later date to players who may have missed the opportunity I am damaged by the company reneging on their promise and reissuing heritage tagged prosperity tools, am I not? The market for my items purchased at a premium cost has been shackled to a cost lower than what the heritage sets sell for and not what the supply and demand of a free market would bear. That is the issue here. Promising a free market when it was time for us to buy their digital media was an act of good faith and trust by their consumer base. There was no disclaimer like, We wont sell these for 5 years, or, We will be selling these once a year on LB's Birthday. They said, that these items will be discontinued and never resold. We took them at their word and gave them our money. Its not about still being able to physically trade the items , its about the destruction of their market value and bad faith that shakes the confidence in an already shaky and unregulated area of commerce.

17. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

While I am never usually trusting of a company to keep their word, but if what you say is true then I can see how people are upset. Especially a company that made a video game based on virtues to break a promise is kind of ironic.

18. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

Ask any of the old timers/ KS folks who are still left. It was a real tight group back then. We all felt like we were part of the same team and we believed in the vision for the project. We took them at their word like you would a close friend or family member. A mistake. to quote my grandfather ..."trust No one" He also used to say "Il sangue è tutto" which I think means something about blood, but Im not really sure.

19. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

It's not as though there wasn't precedent. They said during Kickstarter they would not be adding more housing, then created and sold more than 300 PoTs.

20. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Nor did I say that they made any such promise. But they were rather clear at the time that expired meant never coming back. Until suddenly it didn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.