No Trade....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jayfire, Nov 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayfire

Jayfire Avatar

Just curious but is this No Trade revolution going to become retroactive.... I already dislike this business model but I would be really upset if they added it to old items already gained. Does anyone know if this is likely or in the plan.

Mishikal likes this.
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

This should not be the plan, they have drawn a clear line right now, and know very well the the current outrage from most players will become far worse if they go and apply it to items that are in our inventories without the heritage tag, it would probably kill the game past the point of recovery, and it is already close to life support at some points

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

No.

4. oplek

oplek Avatar

Not for the moment. But they also have a history of changing their minds on such things. All it takes is for them to think it'll help the bottom line.

arcdevil, Mishikal and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Am I the only one that likes the idea that PortaNip has finally decided to make money on their own stuff so they can stay solvent and in business?

Sean Silverfoot, .dao. and Anpu like this.
  6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

No you aren't, but they need to actually work on the many things that were supposed to come with these changes : unitary purchases through the crown store, **** 3 packs... cheaper prices on heritage items are the two I think about.

And to make even more money the could add a coto tax to allow a 1x trade for heritage items, payable EVERY time it is traded.

.dao., Anpu and Cordelayne like this.
  7. Alleine Dragonfyre

The five stages of grief are:

• denial
    • anger
    • bargaining <- you are here
    • depression
    • acceptance

8. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Just an FYI, Im not upset about heritage at all, I don't even "invest" in this game, and if RMT was gone I wouldnt care, so I mean the bargaining bit is simply me trying to find a compromise for the RMTers, and wanting to give my money to Port but can't be assed due to my low budget and their high prices, so I guess what you are saying is low spenders like me aren't worth the time nor should be allowed a voice? Thanks I guess.

arcdevil, .dao., Anpu and 3 others like this.
  9. Alleine Dragonfyre

Oh my goodness, not at all! I just think that it's a process and we need to keep an eye out for changes. I figure this is incremental. If it's still the same in a few releases, then yeah, its time to remind @Chris that we need more pricing for inclusivity. Especially with deeds :)

Violet Ronso likes this.
  10. CICI

CICI Avatar

Heritage items (no trade) is the worst idea.. What we need is more new players!
    more players = more sales (Only can sell so much to the same people..)

Nortagems, Datendrache and FrostII like this.
  11. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

if everything currently in crown store sale atm was heritage, I could possibly consider buying at 50% what the price is now except for that worthless wood and plaster home; that one should not even be on there its just taking up space for other items to be on sale!

12. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Has anyone compared the prices of in store items of other free to play games and Shroud? Path of Exile is the one I am most familiar with. A full outfit costs about $55 USD and it is bound to account.

The challenge the dev team had was their original model was to have a large player base that paid for the box. It just didn't happen so they find themselves in a situation of needing to do things to keep the lights on.

Right now that is happening because of the limited people still giving to the project and a handful of developers who work lots of hours with a few who do not get paid.

arcdevil likes this.
  13. oplek

oplek Avatar

Does it matter? $55 is enough to buy a brand new game. Therefore, it should get you everything in the game, as an upper limit. I'm sure one could find other games/companies that successfully psychologically manipulate their players to part ways with more of their money. They're wrong for doing so. All of them.

arcdevil, Xandra7 and Gregg247 like this.
  14. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Have you done the actual math on this? Sure $55 might be enough if you sell a 1,000,000 copies of the game. But what if you only sell 100,000 and still want the quality found in SOTA? Your model works for single player games of mass appeal that are released with no support costs after. SOTA has a niche following with significant operationing costs to maintain development salaries and online presence. We can see that even highly successful MMOs have continued to charge a monthly fee after selling a box for this reason. Niche MMO developers cannot charge a $55 one time fee and remain in business. Business reality 101.

15. Alleine Dragonfyre

Sadly, that's not how MMOs work.

Sean Silverfoot and Anpu like this.
  16. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

17. eli

eli Avatar

I don't think heritage makes sense from an economic perspective.

I, and many others presumably, made purchases regularly directly from portalarium under the assumption that goods would retain a certain % of their value on the secondary market. I may have even deluded myself into believing a higher % than reality, and was not alone.

By selling heritage versions of items, they are adding a price floor, and also a frictionless marketplace with which my sales would need to compete. That obliterates not only the % of value my non-heritage purchases would retain, but also my delusion that the % could be higher.

The inflation on gold and the friction of the vendor system spell out that any kind of value retention is nearly impossible for me. So I don't buy anything anymore.

The golden goose may have been my (and others) delusions about value retention, and it is shot.

18. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

I would think the non-heritage items would sell for more, since they can be traded to others over and over and used across alts. I assume your items would still be worth more than heritage items, right?

19. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

The problem is they've mostly stopped making non-heritage items. If they would:

a) reasonably price things (still hasn't happened after years)

and

b) Make two forms (a cheap heritage version and a slightly more expensive normal item)

I'd be fine with things. But as they are? Nope. Just means I don't buy stuff anymore.

Cyin and Cordelayne like this.
  20. Alleine Dragonfyre

a) yes, things absolutely need to be priced more in-line with other games. that's why they're called MICRO-transactions.

b) no, the lesser ornate versions are for in-game crafting as they always have been. we cannot forget that there always has to be rewards just for playing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.