Heritage Item - idea

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Echondas, Dec 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Been seeing the various debates about this in and out of game -- had an idea.

What if Heritage items were tradeable - but only on "Public" Vendors - .. with the difference that if not sold, they would go back to the seller?

or ..

instead of public vendors - a new type of public vendor that went where the old in-game COTO vendors were -- with the same idea -- heritage items could be sold ONLY on them but had a % tax in COTOs (instead of gold, like on public vendors). Also maybe let players sell them outright to the NPC for a % reduced price such as crown shop sale price - good for buyer’s remorse too for COTO store

This way SOTA would get some money from the trades, and people could trade stuff, and everyone would be happy ?

TLDR; make heritage items tradeable somehow, but tax the trade in COTOs or gold.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Cyin likes this.
  2. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

What if they made coto discontinued, created a new kind of currency, which is then bound to you.
    Then you get ride of heritage and vault item title, make all item currently in addon store both buyable with old currency and new one, and all furter item getting there is only buyable with the new currency.

No more legs cut cause of coto, everyone gift items if they want or share it.

3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I thought the simplest way to fix this and allow gifting would be when you buy it from the shop, whatever it is, it comes in a sealed bag that is tradeable. Once its been opened, it is bound to your account. Would solve the gifting issue or splitting packs of things that come in 3 or 6 with people issue, which are two of the main gripes and it seems a pretty simple solution since a lot of things do already come in bags/bundles...

K1000, Numa, Pifester and 8 others like this.
  4. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Why is everyone trying to come up with ways to trade things that aren't meant to be tradable?

5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Because people who don't want to spend a dime on this game can no longer buy store items at a discount because someone got tired of the item.

Because some people have multiple accounts, and can no longer receive bundles and put it all on one character (thus forces them to relog multiple times when doing deco).

Because people do not necessarily want 3 or 6 of an item, so buy buying the available options for some items, are stuck with leftovers that they can't get rid of.

Because some people like to buy items now, but when they don't need it anymore like to get something back.

For all these reasons, and many more, people don't want heritage items to exist, but are ready to compromise, with solutions like adding a coto trade tax, or making the items tradeable until used/opened where it then becomes untradeable. These seem like reasonable ideas that do not hurt anyone, and one even allows Port to make extra revenue, what is not to like?

6. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Catnip don't want a secondary market going forwards, all these compromises are an effort to keep a secondary market. Anything other than perhaps making it easier to jointly decorate with them goes against squashing a secondary market and just isn't going to happen. If they weren't getting sales from this, you can guarantee they'd have backtracked by now.

7. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

People need to understand that the secondary market was making more than Portalarium and that if they want a game at all they have to accept the fact that money should go to the developer.

Echondas, Xee, Tirrag and 1 other person like this.
  8. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Lol, the trade board here is only one of several different web sites dedicated to the secondary market. Not to mention the fact that most large trades like player-owned towns and such are done privately without ever being posted at all. Like mine!

Sulaene Moon likes this.
  9. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

All I know, is I've (a) Cancelled 2 subs, and likely will cancel my last two, (b) I no longer buy anything from Port, and (c) they've essentially destroyed what little was left of interest to my wife or I by creating heritage.. and no, we didn't resell stuff on RMT or in game. Although we did buy things that were no longer available (thus not affecting port).

So the "effect" of heritage I've seen from numerous people is that Port cut off a major source of revenue. Doesn't seem wise to me.

Cyin likes this.
  10. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

They just said in last stream ..heritage items are going away and items currently stamped as heritage will be tradable again.

K1000, Sentinel2, Numa and 6 others like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Maybe.

12. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

MAYBE. They definitely did NOT say that this was going to happen. They said they were reconsidering the Heritage program, and the tones of voice and wording implied (to me and I'm sure to some others) that it was going away. But there was absolutely no definitive statement of what would happen or when it would happen. Suggesting otherwise just causes more potential problems -- the last thing this game needs is more rumors getting people's hopes up only for them to be dashed again.

I strongly suggest that anyone who cares about this topic watch the stream itself and draw your own conclusions. For me, what I read between the lines was that they had realized the Heritage program was hurting their sales more than helping them, but you might interpret things differently. Stream here, Heritage discussion starting at 00:27 in: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/517987540 (It may be important to note that the discussion was brief and entirely before the Official Stream began, only part of the unofficial pre-stream. )

For what it's worth, though... the implications did cheer me up considerably, and re-sparked my motivation to play. Of course, forced multiplayer still kept me from doing so, and that remains my biggest complaint, but I do at least see some light at the end of the Heritage tunnel. I don't think Elrond is wrong in what he heard, just that we need to be careful and wait till it actually happens or an official commitment is made -- not base our choices on something that may or may not end up happening.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  13. Ulskanine

Ulskanine Avatar

The fact that they are listening gave me hope, when i posted https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-plea.160401/ i was really at my wit's end and didn't really expect anything at all to happen. I randomly caught the stream not even thinking Heritage would be mentioned and while it did give me hope, i agree with you that they did not give any definitive answers. I think the worse we as players can do is become complacent on this issue, by not continuing to bring it up. We need to continue to discuss it and ensure it is addressed in a meaningful way.

I personally would be fine with them keeping the Heritage tag for "Vault items" , vault items would continue to be a ever growing list of items. as they retire current year holiday/seasonal items, the Heritage tag for Vault items would allow CN to make money on the older items, all the while still providing those of us who are collectors in the game who purchased the originals the freedom to do with our collections as we will .

Adam Crow, Numa, Anpu and 1 other person like this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And if there is no secondary market there is no market. So finally the devs see this and announced heritage is going away. We are not other games. We need our selleable snd tradeable items. We need our interesting bundles again to buy back.

As much as some don't want the store to play a part or a bigger part it needs to for this game. Can't or don't want to buy then don't and buy with in game gold then. Making our stuff worthless and un-tradeable was a mistake. Focus needed to go into the game systems, not tearing apart the trade and sellability of this game. Let's get back to what's important which is improving this game with the funds we can raise.

Let's sell those bundles again. Get the mount system in and sell some unique mounts on the store too. Work toward boating and get a pirates bundle to sell along with that mount bundle.

We were doing so much better until someone's great idea to stop selling and add stupid heritage. So let's Have great episode 2 bundles to get players excited that are not as pricey as the lord of the isle bundles and have great sales and give-aways. Let's get back funds enough to make it so we can add those basics now.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Vladamir Begemot, Elrond and Numa like this.
  15. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

How about just remove heritage items all together, and make crafting great again. Actually build a "Supply and Demand" for a crafting market and remove the Coto repair on crafted items.

Make Crafting Great Again.

16. Numa

Numa Avatar

I like your idea, make heritage items just tradable once. Maybe a bag isn't necessary, a simple flag (Yes/No) could keep track if the item has already been traded once.

Will be keeping my distance from the current heritage items for the meantime. Too much hassle.

17. Numa

Numa Avatar

Been waiting for true boats to make their appearance for a looong time. Ditto for mounts. People will happily grind or spend money to accessorize both as long as these have the potential for expanding gameplay.

18. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I suggest you read back through the thread about why it's the very fact they're not tradeable that's killing the store (and it has zero to do with RMT). I put together a very succinct list.

19. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I recently decided that there were a few heritage deco items, that I wanted for myself, to decorate my own property, so I went ahead and picked them up.

It was all fine until someone wanted to come deco with me, and we had the usual I had to stop what I was doing and pick something up that was in the way because there was nowhere to easily 'move' it and they couldn't just put it in their inventory for a moment.

And then when I was finished decorating, and had to fill my bank with a bunch of random leftover bits because I can't store them in my usual deco boxes. Random length segments of different colored lights and such. Every time I open my bank now, I have to scroll past all this crap and I just cringe.

I have NO problem with Port wanting to get rid of the secondary market, I'd rather they get my money. I'm 100% aligned to this, no hesitation.
    However, the frustrations and inconvenienced by not being able to store heritage items, or decorate collaboratively, or being able to gift someone something, need to be addressed before this system is going to be viable. There have been many suggestions on how to address each of these issues (reclaiming heritage items, sealed bag giftables, heritage storage boxes or simply a change allowing you to store heritage items in boxes on your own property but other folks can't take them out of the box).

Last night we wanted to put the sparkler helmet on a mannequin ..guess what, CANT, mannquein is a container. Argh!!! Guess I'll throw that in the bank with everything else, yea? My poor bank.

Anpu, Numa, Mishikal and 1 other person like this.
  20. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.