Can't take quest book a second time? (student book quest)

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Kara Brae, Dec 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Has there been a change to the quest books in the past year or so? I used to be able to collect an unlimited number of quest books that respawned, but now I can't.

I did manage to collect two copies of the first book I looked for in the student of virtue book quest (Monkey and the Dolphin in Kingsport), but after collecting one copy of "A Boiled Seed Cannot Sprout" in Braemar, the book respawned, but I can no longer move a second copy to my inventory. I can only read the book. I tried quitting the game and re-starting and even leaving Braemar and re-entering, but still I cannot take a second copy of the book.

I'm not sure now that I want to bother to complete the quest, since I was hoping to get two copies of each quest book in order to get both the virtue and the chaos quest rewards. I completed this quest back in the day before the final wipe of SotA, but I haven't tried to do it in the release version of SotA yet.

Lord Aventine likes this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you can, just put one in the bank first

Witcheypoo, Anpu and Kara Brae like this.
  3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Thanks for the quick reply! That set me off to search for the banker who used to be in the inn. I finally found him outside but putting the book in the bank did not do the trick. I still can only read the book and not take a copy of it. I think I will post a bug report. :(

4. Alley Oop

that's just a time/scene reset thing, not a bug.

5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Thanks for saving me some more trouble! Waiting a few minutes worked :)

Witcheypoo likes this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Kara Brae

Another way is to bring a friend/alt.
    Then trade the stack away from the one next picking up the book. They only check inventory when you pick up the book
    Since the spawn is individual it takes just as long solo as multiple but that way you don’t need to leave the scene or find a bank.

...and yes I reported that as an exploit and got back the old “works as intended” so it is a feature not a bug hehe

Witcheypoo, Net, StarLord and 5 others like this.
  7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Thanks, Spoon! I didn't see your post until after I had already done it the hard way. The process of collecting a second book was really inconsistent. Some of the books could be collected a second time even though the first book was still in my inventory. The time it took for a book to respawn AND be available to take was inconsistent, too. Some books re-appeared after only a minute or two. Others took much longer to re-appear. Some books could be taken immediately again as soon as they had re-spawned, and others couldn't. It was very frustrating.

I spent all day fetching the books, but wasn't able to get the last one. I have to figure out how to get to the Spectral Mines without getting killed. I used to go there a lot in pre-release days, but things have changed since then. I just returned from a long break from the game and I feel like a stranger in Novia! :confused:

Witcheypoo, Numa and Anpu like this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Note with the new teleport to zone scrolls, once you visit an area, you can then go back to them anytime. Including the mines. You can’t however go to most quest areas.

Net, Numa and majoria70 like this.
  9. Alley Oop

there is a link from solania catacombs. it's quite close to the normal mine entrance, though, so it doesn't save you any running through the mine to get to the book. however, there's only mobs in the book's room in the spring, so if you get there now, you're safe to rest and heal up.

10. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

After failing to make it to the mine alive via Spectral Foothills, I tried going via the Solania Catacombs, using an old map that was very straightforward. The map said to go straight on for a while then turn left and run through a big hall full of elves. I remember doing that a lot in the old days. But when I entered the catacombs, I didn't recognize the place. A wounded guard presented me with a quest to find and kill an Ichor Witch. Luckily, it was only a tier 3 quest, so I managed it well, but I got lost several times before returning to the entrance and never did find the way to the Spectral Mine. I have to empty my inventory and then I will try it again.

Numa and Anpu like this.
  11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yup.
    The random time for respawn of objects were part of the anti-botting stuff from last year.
    This so that you couldn't bot the timing of respawn and thus became more detectable since the bot would have to 'click' the area every now and then to test if it was there. (Wouldn't work on a good bot but increased the needed threshold beyond the everyday ones).
    I think it was after some bots started farming deco equip like cups which started fetching increasing sums in the player market.

Kinda weird though.

Hmm, I did that one with level 15 recently (or whatever is the level when the alt can start trading). Don't remember having issues getting there, just having problems with the ghost gauntlet once inside.

I did the same run pattern that one did for one of the old hat quests back in the day when spectral was new. You might find one of ENVYs vids from back then to see which one I mean.
    The only thing one has to be weary of is if someone else has pulled the mobs from their starting positions.

Also a note is that there is an Ankh just outside the mine entrance so even if you die you can simply run over to the ankh - respawn and right away run into the mine. So you'd only have to die once, hehe.

I think that MAC has that one covered in one of his vids, which would show how to get through the elves.

A total sidenote is that I believe I have spares of all the books since I always pick up about 10 extra whenever I'm in the different neighborhoods (for guildies etc) so let me know if you tire of doing it the hard way and want one the easy way.
    I mean Spoon is always easily bribe-able by drinks and good company.

12. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I went back to Solania Catacombs and finally managed to find the entrance to the Spectral Mines. By the way, I have seen Envy's vids, but when he did them the Solania catacombs were different. The catacombs used to be a pretty straightforward sewer passage, but now with the new ichor witch quest, it is no longer a sewer but a labyrinth of corridors and elf rooms that all look the same to me. At the best of times I have no sense of direction, so it was only by accident that I stumbled on the entrance to the Spectral Mines.

Now comes the tragic part.

Once in the mines, I couldn't find the fortress place where you cross the bridge and enter the cave with the ghosts that leads to the book (and the terrible bunny in springtime). I used to go there a lot. I remember there used to be a chest with a throne of bones to the right of the cave entrance. I stumbled around the mine (which remined me of how the Graff Gem Mine used to look) and came across the entrance to the Spectral Foothills, which I avoided. Instead I gave up and teleported back home. I tried to remember how I used to get to the fortress, and remembered that there was a mine entrance from somewhere that had a hard-to-see gap that led to the place where you drop through the floor to the fortress. I then found a video by Lace Delamorte that showed where the gap was. It was at the mine exit to Spectral Foothills which I had just ran past. So I was there and didn't realize it! ARGGGGHHHH!!!!

So..... I have to go back to the Solania Catacombs (thankfully an easy scene) and try to find the mine entrance again. Once in the mine I have to stumble about and try to find the entrance to the Spectral Foothills before I get killed. Alternatively, I could try my luck in the Spectral Foothills again.

If you have many copies of The Fearful Rabbit, I would love to have one, but only if you're sure that it wouldn't be taking it away from someone in greater need.:oops:

Witcheypoo likes this.
  13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant the spectral foothills overland map. That is the one I used to get through to the mine entrance.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map//?map_id=1&poi_id=389&openPopup=true&z=5
    The catacombs have been changed a lot but not the foothills. Just some small changes in spawns.
    Running through the foothills with a low level char is kinda easy as long as you don't run into the wolves since they are the fast ones.
    First a left, then keep running on the path. Spam sprint and protections if you got em. Right side of the path at first then switch to left hand side depending on the boulders blocking mob attacks. If necessary jump on top of said boulder to escape attacks.

It is still there.
    :)
    My normal modus operandi is to run from the skeles, then remember the throne and make a detour, take the throne - get overweight, get caught up by a horde of skeletons, die horribly and have to start over...
    :eek:

No need to get lost, just hug the left hand wall. It is behind the boards right after the main entrance.
    This map is still valid.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/?map_id=658
    If you come through the solania breakwall then follow the rail tracks to the left to get to the main entrance and then check behind the boards to get to the passage.

No worries. What greater need could there be than someone who spent a week to get it?
    Glad to help.
    I will pop in tonight (central european time) and check this post. If you haven't posted that you've got it on your own I will send one through the postal service.
    Although, Spoon will charge you dearly in beers at a novian tavern of your choice.
    ;)

Alley Oop, Kara Brae and Numa like this.
  14. Numa

Numa Avatar

This thread reminds me that this quest is still active in my journal and needs to be ticked off. Just another thing to get done before New Year :)

Cordelayne, Anpu and Spoon like this.
  15. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I got it! I got it! With your instructions on running through the foothills I made it to the mine entrance. I even got the throne of bones and killed all the ghosts. My main problem is getting lost and not knowing which way to turn. Anyway, I am not afraid to return to get a second book now that I know the way to go! Thank you so much for your help!

Anpu, Alley Oop, Spoon and 1 other person like this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Woot!

Uhm, is this the time when I should remember that I've forgotten to tell you the most important part?
    If you want both the virtue statue and the chaos statue then you must
    A)
    have two of each book
    B)
    first hand over the book sets to the students - get the three statue parts, love truth courage - !!DO NOT TALK TO THE LEADER/TEACHER, DO NOT !!
    C)
    Go to Savrenoc Stronghold
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map//?map_id=1&poi_id=387&openPopup=true&z=5
    in the scene run straight along the path, past the elven camp, follow the slight turn to the right until you find Gina (if you run into the Treant you followed the wrong path and need to go back).
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map//?map_id=277&poi_id=6134&openPopup=true&z=4
    talk to Gina hand over the second book set for her to burn - collect chaos statue
    D)
    back to Ardoris and now talk to the student leader/teacher and hand in the three statue parts for the complete virtue statue.

(again reported, again not a bug but a feature)

:confused::eek:
    I tip my hat to you. That is a feat I have yet too accomplish. Ghosts are the bane of my existence.

Anpu and Kara Brae like this.
  17. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

@Spoon Thanks so much for the additional information on how to get to Gina and how to turn in the fragments to Martin in order to get both statues. I am now the proud owner of the Statue of Virtue and the Statue of Chaos!

I am disappointed in the in-game maps, though. Many are missing completely and the map of Ardoris is very simplified. The maps in-game used to be the same as the maps on https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map. Whatever happened?

Spoon likes this.
  18. Alley Oop

port kept getting pushback from unity every time they reported a problem: unity used the excuse of the third-party plugin they were using for the map system to blow off, well, anything. so port redid the map system entirely within the game, no plugins. each map has to be transferred over to the new system. they did a big push to do all town maps and the 50 biggest adventure scenes, but now they have to go back and fill in the rest.

Kara Brae and Anpu like this.
  19. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Thanks for the explanation! Gee, I really am behind the times. I feel like a newbie :oops:

20. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Sweet!
    :)
    Glad that my mistake of not remembering to give that advice before handing them in didn't foil it.

Is this where I post an early 80s madonna reference? Hmm, better not lest I get into trouble again. ;)

Anpu and Kara Brae like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.