RX 590 overheating?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Barugon, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

At some point, the open source AMD drovers for Linux were massively improved, so I decided to get a RX 590 card and give it a go. While playing SotA, my PC will eventually just power off. I thought perhaps that the GPU was overheating, so I opened the case. It still powered off after some time playing SotA. :(

I monitored the temperature while playing and the GPU never seemed to get above 75C but my PC still powered off. I thought that it was perhaps a bad card so I returned it for a replacement but this one causes the power off too. :(

Does anyone have any experience with the open source AMDGPU driver? Is there somewhere that I can change the temperature that it thinks is "critical"? It seems really unreasonable to me that this card would overheat with the case open (it has dual fans and they seem to be working perfectly).

BTW, this card is quite a bit faster than my GTX 1070.

2. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

critical temp are usually in bios of motherboard setting, 75 degrees is alot, betwen 55-65 is the norm

3. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

The PC powering off could be CPU (rather than GPU) overheating or the system not getting enough power overall. The GTX 1070 and the RX 590 both seem to have similar power requirements (around 150-175W), so it doesn't sound like it's because the different card is drawing down the system at least.

To be sure, consider these questions;
    How are the CPU Temps looking?
    What is the age of the power supply, and how much capacity does it have (age will lower it's top draw, and if the documented capacity is close to what your system might pull while in SotA, then as the supply ages, it may not be able to handle it and cause the power good signal to the motherboard to drop.)
    Does it occur if you switch back to the GTX?

Granted this is only a single set of circumstances and possibilities to check into. Hope you figure it out!

Sentinel2 and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  4. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Sometime the fan on card isnt just correctly placed, it could be the fan of cpu too? maybe a bad disk sector that make the computer reboot?

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If I switch back the everything is right as rain. I'll check the power supply capacity when I get home later.

Jaesun and Ravalox like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

My PS is 600W. I ordered a 1200W replacement PS.

Ravalox and Jaesun like this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Better power supply did the trick.

9. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yeah the AMD cards do get a lot warmer then de nVidia cards. And mostly also use more power.
    It is not the amdgpu drivers, btw @Barugon do not forget to enable mesa_glthread=true -force-clamped for better performance.

10. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Awesome!

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

BTW, the first power supply came DOA and I had to return it for a replacement.

13. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

The mesa_glthread is a mesa system variable yes. You can export it or use driconf to enable it.
    -force-clamped is not a windows only option. In some games it will improve performance a lot. You will just need to force your: -force-glcore45
    Just experiment with that a bit, I do not have the amd card anymore but I have done tons of tests with those options a year ago and I improved FPS by a 20%.

Anpu and Barugon like this.
  14. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on the forum or game because I've been recovering from surgery.

I have some experience with the AMD Open Source drivers. Sometimes beta driver branches will crash the system causing a hard reboot or lockup that appears like an overheat. This is due to a register overflow on the blitting unit.

The solution is to use the latest release branch drivers, and not any of the GIT builds that are out there.

It would help to know your distro and version.

As of Shroud of the Avatar, it is largely Hard Drive and System memory bottlenecked. You won't get 100% GPU utilization no matter what you do.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The problem was that my system would abruptly power off. The solution was a fatter power supply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.