WHY PVP IS IMPORTANT TO ME.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brink1123, Dec 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

I would honestly like to hear from the Dev team on this topic. is fixing Pvp a priority to them or are we going to get more "furniture and weapon skin patches"........(in my opinion if people are not playing now with all the cool items they have created, making more items and places is not going to help).

2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

She was referring to the PvPer that called non-pvpers lured into pvp sheep above, and probly the fact that wolf-sheep pvp is a thing folks in general use to describe that type of PvP (where non-pvp are lured by goods into pvp zones where PvPers kill them). PvPers and non-pvpers both do in fact use the term sheep to describe the non-pvper side of that scenario. It's not just a shroud thing.

The PvP Queing they talked about recently would be nice as you could que up for battles then join the battles as they begin. That was something recently talked about i think, as i heard Fzol mention discussing it with chris. But that being a step in the right direction, i still think its important to have something to fight over.

Adam Crow and CatherineRose like this.
  3. oplek

oplek Avatar

I concur. "Sheep" is the term used after a reasonable analysis of what PVPers keep describing - PVEers as an untapped resource. They can't help but frame it that way. They're not satisfied with stealing from NPCs. It must be a person. An NPC just wouldn't get upset in the same way.

Arradin likes this.
  4. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

yes something to fight for would be wonderful,...... but as soon as arenas or dueling is mentioned they have already missed the point.

5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think Queing for arenas was mentioned.

It'd be nice if they got it in and tested it with the obsidian trial, as it was intended to be the ginuea pig for this kinda stuff. Then @Mangar was mentioning soemthing like having the shardfalls be the vvarious battlegrounds you could Que up for. @Mangar If you have like a clip or soemthing where this was talked about or can confirm it?

majoria70 and CatherineRose like this.
  6. Brink1123

Brink1123 Avatar

Honestly i would be happy if the only reward to pvp would be that the player dropped the money that was on them. they can keep all the gear just give me the money. that they farmed.

Arkah EMPstrike likes this.
  7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

This was one of thier opriginal ideas i had wished they had gone thru with. Having jsut the loot you accumulated for that farming session be subject to looting by PKs upon your death. Or even loote dby monsters and added to their loot table

Brink1123 likes this.
  8. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Not to mention I think death decay of gear should be brought back. Yeah I know. I hated it. But after playing ESO for the last month+, I'm starting to rethink my position. There needs to be a penalty for dying.

And yes, I had gone through one of the ESO quests and wrecked my gear badly once. If I wanted to beat the quest, I had to push harder and harder. Eventually I was successful. It took a bit of pain and trashing of my gear before I did.

Bring Back Death Penalties!

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The durability hit on gear is still there, never changed, you just don't get it if you use an ankh or are resurrected. It has always been this way.

Numa and Anpu like this.
  10. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Ok. I thought it was totally out. Still, even using an Anhk I think there should be something against durability.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The problem with that is it's punitive and just makes people not want to play.

12. Restless

Restless Avatar

The problem is everyone wants all gain. This is efficient but ruins all excitement.

13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

How so ? @Restless
    Enlighten us ...

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Dont think it ruins ALL excitment but where restless is comming from is legit. If dying is something you really want to avoid, then it's more satisfying to avoid it. In contrast, no death penalty means you can just throw your corpse at something till it's dead, which would not be as exciting.

ATM there is a death penalty of a small ammount of downtime and having a fight end and restart. And i think the satisfaction of NOT dying is greater the harsher the death penalty, and the larger the adrenaline rush is when you get close to death. Adrenaline = fun. Thats why being scared is fun.

15. Restless

Restless Avatar

Thank you. It is the same reason I now sit in the fall afk watching Netflix or anything else. So what if someone finds me unbuffed and on another screen, there is no penalty.

16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Interesting you use ESO as a comparison, the game in which your gear is never fully destroyed. Its apples and oranges, I'm afraid.
    The problem with the durability loss in Shroud is that its permanent. I'd be all for cranking dura loss rates if there was a way to simply pay gold to restore the max every time I went into town, but people seem to think this will cause other economic issues since there's no consumption of gear, and good gear is still very onerous to make and highly dependent on RNG. ESO does not have these problems because all gear is fully customizable and binds to your account on equip. We're kinda in a holding pattern with this until crafting gets a major rethink which at this point, I don't think it will.

Some sort of cash sink on death I think nobody would have a problem with - which is all the ESO system is.

FrostII likes this.
  17. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Losing gold you've earned since you entered the scene, or better, a pvp currency only obtainable in pvp scenes to the person who killed you, would be fine. The main issue with the ransom system, for me anyway, was the inventory management debacle it created, and less about the "loss of coin." Although being killed repeatedly and losing hours/days worth of grind income was a deterrent to PvP participation for those who knew they'd be unlikely to earn a penny of it back but mighta had fun PvPing anyway.

Enter a PvP scene, complete a set of daily objectives within that scene, or farm currency in that scene, and when you die, you lose half of what you had and the victor gets it. This way even if you lose, your setback is capped at where you started when you came in, meaning even the "sheep" to use the term that others have, can scramble away with a bit of coin if they don't get caught and stomped but the wolves get rewarded for catching/stomping. I think you'll see people grouping up to participate and earn the things, particularly if you added camps with decent mob density to the corner of these scenes to allow decent progression / farming when the zone is quieter giving folks something to do while they are in there.

Make said currency freely exchangeable and you remove objections from the vehement anti-pvp crowd as they'd still be able to obtain the stuff and PvPers get a valuable commodity to market.

This will bring us closer to people who prefer different playstyles getting to spend their time doing what they like and having it be lucrative, instead of forcing PvPers to PvE and vice versa. You should be able to net the same amount of 'gain' per hour (xp, gold, etc.) in a PvP scene doing the things there vs. a non PvP scene. Then add the extra gain from killing players and extra currency on top of that, and those extra bits are the things you're risking.

18. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

As I've been playing it for just over a month, I've had to replace my gear many times.

AND, there is gear decay. It's different.

But then again, having zero decay in SOTA isn't an improvement.

19. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Death should be punitive. Otherwise, what's the negative for dying?

Is there any negative?

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I thought decay was a good thing but most people hated it.

Arkah EMPstrike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.