1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Shroud 2020 Vision

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

@Chris can you put some words about your vendor and trade system vision?
    Based on experience inside our guild, new players pretty much disappointed that they should put few hours to find what they need on fair price. It's just not fun for most of them.
    IMHO we need some kind of global search system for vendors.

Witcheypoo, Chatele, Xandra7 and 5 others like this.
  2. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Believe it when I see it. Indeed a very ambitious list.

arcdevil and Tailz like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I know some want it but some are also very much against it. My plan for this was to make this something people could do if they wanted through Lua. Adding access to vendor data through Lua should happen in Q1.

4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Are new players diving into lua? @Chris Id love to hear more about player dungeon expansions in eps 2. Surely more than just a few more rooms are coming? How about artifacts that only drop in player dungeons, currently there is zero reason to do player dungeons. Leaderboard support for player dungeons ?

CatherineRose, Cirsee, Mhtic and 2 others like this.
  5. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Hey @Chris,

Can we get a deep dive on this for one of the upcoming streams? This way we can understand the thought process of where you guys are heading with it.
    We have heard "better loot" term thrown around for quiet some time but understanding what that means exactly from your perspective should give us all
    an expectation level of what we might be getting.

Major loot and reward overhaul. Currently one of the top concerns for existing players and will be a large part of our focus for Q1 and into Q2.

6. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Also, with the player crafted items and MC/Enchanting/Salvaging/NPC Sales and the fear of breaking economy by raising pay outs or salvage, how about something like this:

In order to prevent the increased sale price of crafted item to NPC from being worked, create a LOOT flag on every crafted item. Once the item is sold to an NPC, the LOOT flag is set and it cannot be resold for premium cost to an NPC once it enters the "loot system".

However, once the LOOT flag has been set, the SALVAGE amount of the item is increased with the option to have Gold/Silver scraps drop from the salvage based on the enchantments/MW. (Or whatever increase to salvage you think is great)

So what we did is create a system that rewards the crafter for selling the item to an NPC over salvage INITIALLY thus increasing the LOOT dropped for players, and then making that loot desirable as loot by letting the gold/silver/metal scrap increase ONLY after its been dropped by a mob.

Increase the desire to sell to NPC after crafted over salvage BUT then increase the desire to SALVAGE over sell once its been dropped thus removing it from the world.

Thoughts?

Cirsee and Boris Mondragon like this.
  7. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I hope your planning to Rachet up the difficulty of some the the content something fierce than because setting aside the massive pvp battles senerio (which makes a lot of sense and would be very cool) there is nothing in this game that needs 10 man teams let alone 24 man teams. I vote for a few insane hardcore actual "Raid" content myself with some very profitable rewards to lure the daring adventurer to their demise....... or victory!!!

8. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I agree with most of what you say yet imagine these scenarios possible with the 24 player Raid party option:

1) Someone given a scheduled “GM” power for 8 hours can set up either a PVE event like those set up by Travian games “Cerus” at either a POT or Site and a raid party can form for its City/POT defense.

2) A large PVP battle can also have its main prior problem of friendly fire reduced with party maximum size of 24 vice the current 8.

This along with future factions is the end game that has been missing.

9. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@Chris ; I have 2 questions, one on the future vision and the other on a current issue.

Future Vision: Future armor sets. Are these going to be drops via yellow/blue supply bags and or mob drops. The sooner the better to counter the effect of the “bandit set” on crafting and PVP.

Current Issue: Any possibility to either “up” the imbued elven strings or add another material to counter or surpass the Envy/Zen bows. This affects those that craft bows as well as those that gather the mats. Maybe adding elven essences as the extra mat.

This is an option to throw the leather workers and bowyers a badly needed bone now.

R/Boris

Cirsee likes this.
  10. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

A new mining scene could trade high mob count CPU cost for an ability to place an object into the world? xD Lugging ore piles and needing to teleport and come back hoping its still there is fear I could wouldnt get used to but if it could be done would be fun. Some placeable Ingots and Ore would be cool too.

Good read good luck!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Aartemis likes this.
  11. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

An ambitious vision to say the least… We are looking forward in seeing how all of this plays out.

Something that many have said and I agree with completely, when building a good home one must first lay down a solid foundation to build upon. Moreover, when expanding this good home one must also be sure that the solid foundation initially laid is solid enough to endure this expansion.

Based on what we do know now about the game and all of the “unknowns” about the game, I sincerely hope this new vision does not become a “more of the same” situation as many of use fear it very well may.

There are enough fundamental issues with the game currently that it is truly difficult for us to see a future that does not look any different than how things look and feel now.

We will admit that yes, there have been improvements over the last 3 years… sure, and it is something that everyone should expect in a developing game such as this.

One item that we and I would love to see happen is this: A verbal discussion about (list of items here) town owners and community/guild leaders in some sort of a forum like Discord. Where we can have moderated discussion to say what and how we are feeling and seeing about the game.

It is very important that people not only hear but listen to what will be discussed and said, so it is vital that excellent notes be kept. This will be valuable for future development and perhaps a guide on how to proceed and what is really important to most-all of us who play this game.

All groups must be represented to get a proper and more accurate data statistic of how most-all of your players are doing, not just the ones who play 24/7 and/or have the attention and “ears of the devs”.

We have asked for this long ago of Richard and he did say it was possible, we just never got any further with it.

At the very least this will provide insight into some people’s ideas/views on the game that have previously never been heard from ever.

12. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Yes please on the Ore and Ingots Decos!

13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Huh. Good stuff, good stuff. Nice!

14. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

UPDATE: Made some minor grammatical, readability and formatting changes.

15. smack

smack Avatar

Yes! Please, no player housing in any new NPC town for Ep2+. Besides the obvious reasons stated above, there are still many thousands of empty lots in existing cities already and POTs need more residents to build thriving communities. And ghost towns need to be dealt with in some way too...

16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Reading this you made me realize that the only times I grinded for a drop in Shroud were when I knew exactly who was dropping a specific thing I wanted. Creepy Dolly, BMC Ring for Viola, and to a lesser degree Krampus Switch (because others got it and I didn't, I thought I'd stick around and try.) Creepy Dolly 1 I got on the first child zombie. So we needed on for Viola. Worked on that for a few weeks of one hour sessions and finally just bought one. BMC Ring we knew it dropped on the Troll Twins. Worked on it until the other guy standing there sold me his. Krampus, didn't really care so gave up on that after about half an hour.

17. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

I would like to see resists fleshed out. There should be a rock-paper-scissors aspect to the game, even in the PVE arena. While I enjoy making millions of XP running zombies in circles, or in UT, or in some of the other areas..., there should be something that doesn't just melt away in a 300 attunement circle of fire.

18. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I was very pleased to read that Episode 2, quests and the story are taking a priority in 2020. These are the things that will get me playing (and spending money) again in the game. Thanks for the update @Chris, and Happy New Year.

19. Restless

Restless Avatar

I've lost count after 50 tasks incompleted on that list. I would guess 95% of the task list is incomplete with 30% of time (using your 8 year estimate) already passed.

What can we expect to be your success rate at accomplishing these goals in 2020? Reading your responses to Hannah, I am leaning toward 90% successful completion. Is this too much to expect?

I also agree with Hannah about dropping episode 2 all at once. Why not complete episode 2, release it for 3 months exclusively to those who prepaid then release to the public?

Chatele likes this.
  20. mystarr

mystarr Avatar

@Chris Looks like some great stuff on that list.

Will the new quest system do anything about the quest journal? One of the biggest problems with episode 1 is the horrible implementation of the quest journal.

How will episode 2 work with the quest journal? Please don't let it be the same confusing mess.

Chatele, Cirsee, majoria70 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.