1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Shroud 2020 Vision

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

So what I'm hearing is people want to mask prices on any global search tool so that players have to waste their time checking a bunch of places that are overpriced, where people will intentionally 'bait' the search with 1 silver ore priced at a million gold that will never sell but will cause people to come look at their vendor anyway, and other such abuses of said system. Honestly, full transparency on sales listing will help keep people honest and normal pricing, make it 1000 times easier for consumes to find and purchase goods they need. The only objections I have seen tend to be either from people who have prominent locations and/or who have worked to build a customer base, and I get it - if someone's spent months/years to develop a brand and advertise and get regulars adding a search function is basically negating those efforts, and it sucks. But its about what's best for the game as a whole, for new players who come into it, and so the economy can thrive. Seems to be it comes down to inconveniencing a handful of people vs. inconveniencing everyone. =/

2. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Some one mentioned a poll. Have we ever had one of those on this global market topic to see if the "majority" of players want it as opposed to the vocal minority who are probably biased against it in the first place @Chris. if not it may be a good idea. :)

Chatele, arcdevil and Cirsee like this.
  3. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

Global vendor search would destroy the meaning of trading POTS, player vendors and also the meaning of keeping several lots across Novia. Auction houses in MMORPG are lifeless, boring and less social shopping experience. Destroying the trader gamestyle would cost a lot of veretan players ... included me.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  4. oplek

oplek Avatar

Sorry, another question.

I spent $19 on Episode 2 early access:
    I'm interpreting this to mean that those who did not buy this won't get access to the Episode 2 content. Is that correct? That is, after all, why I bought this - so I had full game access, hopefully on the cheap since it was early access.

5. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Everyone can walk around the overworld of EP2 but unless you pay for it, you can't play the EP2 Content/Story or maps.

6. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Correct, I have Zero issues running to places I *know* have the item I want. I don't need to see the prices. I just want to KNOW i'm not wasting my time looking at things for hours and hours with no luck. Owner Name would be good too, I can get a compass marker from the cryer.

Bodhbh Dearg, Chatele, Elwyn and 5 others like this.
  7. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Vendor search feature has been debated alot ...can read more about it here VENDOR SEARCH

Some people are very much against this ... myself not sure ..i think its one of those features that can make or break our game . There are lots of games in development right now that are moving away from the global market concept to a more regional market ..not for the immersion it offers but for the stability it creates . I do hope such a feature wont be added until the overproduction issues are solved .

8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Sounds really great, especially a new quest system, which I hope will have a new and easier way to track progress (down with the journal!)

I will definitely be back playing regularly in Episode 2. At least until it gets too hard for me again. :eek: ;)

Chatele, Cordelayne and Numa like this.
  9. Numa

Numa Avatar

Are you still playing in offline mode? Or are you open to joining the wild & woolly side of multiplayer mode ? ;)

Cordelayne likes this.
  10. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I would also be OK with a regional search, or even a TOWN Search. Perhaps there is a new NPC, Master of the Coin or something that can be placed in each town where someone can see what is offered by the vendors of that town. Again, don't think prices are needed, just knowing the item i'm searching for is there somewhere. :) Perhaps for a small fee the Master of Coin will write down your information and send it to the regional Lord of Coin which holds the best of the best info for the region. This could be akin to "advertising".

11. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

It wouldnt actually destroy trading pots if done right. We are simply talking about better ways to get customers and sellers together and maybe inject a little competition into the market which is great for consumers and anyway the current system is a terrible shopping experience on par with ice mining in eve, gouging eyes out with rusty spoons.... most games do a terrible player driven economy so that's not a good example and eve who does it right has booming market systems so just saying..

Xandra7, Numa and Cyin like this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

A good compromise would be to allow a search for an item within the town you are in instead of globally.

Having the ability to find what i need without having to search 300 vendors vaguely named "such n such's goods" would be great. And i know some people who suck at advertising in trade chat that they have buy orders so it would help alot to be able to search for buy orders to sell to on vendors as well.

13. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I think the place Heritage Items should have been from the beginning is when Portalarium started selling expired collector's items without reskinning them and just started renaming them "vault edition". These items should have been account-bound and non-tradeable.

Bodhbh Dearg, Elwyn, arcdevil and 7 others like this.
  14. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Prices are needed because one needs to see which town to go to for the item in question. I understand that those saying they are ok with no pricing are just trying to reach a compromise but the reality is prices are needed for numerous reasons and if this type of system was designed properly and thoughtfully than showing the prices and maybe some other info ( like stats or else how would one know which long sword is right for them and if the price matches the stats) wont kill the game folks. Dont give in to the fear mongering by a select few that have a vested interest in this going a certain way. :) :)

15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'm curious why you think a search function would destroy anything.
    We're not talking about a central auction house where you can go buy stuff and have it delivered to your mail, on which I agree with your assessment.
    I think there's absolutely value in creating an attractive storefront, working with other vendors in the same town/community to create a clear "shopping district" and/or path, and in building a customer base who knows that 'this shop' stocks 'that item' and is fairly priced and usually up to date.

I don't see how a search function diminishes that in any way, it only increases awareness of item availability, helps keep prices fair and keeps players from being ripped off due to ignorance of pricing trends. You'd still have to travel to wherever the item is, and in fact, a search function would give merchants the ability to list loss leaders for advertising purposes to get people to their shop, and, once there, would probably peruse other things nearby.

I honestly don't understand the perceived downside of this - its good for sellers, since if they are stocked up and their prices are fair, then this will be effectively a passive advertising tool to get people to come buy your stuff. And its extremely good for buyers, since the current system makes it absolutely impossible to find what you want, and if you do find it, you have no idea if the price is fair or outrageous unless you're going to individually click through hundreds of vendors across dozens of towns after sitting through as many load screens.

Why is people being able to find goods they want, with less hassle, a bad thing? Honestly the only real objection I can see is if you're trying to use prominent visibility as leverage to overprice stuff and don't want people to realize it and go elsewhere then I can see not wanting this. Normal economic functions such as competition are stifled by the current mechanics and the limits on the vendors themselves. So, objecting to this because you don't want more competition I can understand, and I understand how the current system benefits particular individuals but I don't think it benefits the game as a whole, and that's the bigger picture.

If you are a fairly priced consistent supplier of a particular commodity, you'll be at the top of the search every time. If competition drives these prices down, then less people sell that commodity because it has become less profitable. Prices then creep back up until more people invest in selling the commodity again. None of this can happen if people can't access the information about who is selling what, and that's what is sorely missing. Not to mention what a search system could do for buy orders!

Wilfred, Chatele, Xandra7 and 8 others like this.
  16. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I guess with the current purchase mechanic you will have to add to that list at least “number of items” as you cannot purchase parts of a stack and this way it wouldn’t help if you visit the first 50 listed vendors with stacks of 5000 of something if you just need or would like to sell 10. ;)

17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

yes stack size will have to be shown. I often want to sell stacks of things i find but some buy orders are jsut too large

Bodhbh Dearg, Chatele, Elwyn and 2 others like this.
  18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It could be a function of the town banker \o/

Then banks in towns will have peoples around them

EDIT: and i heard Epstein didnt kill himself.

19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

As a person with good or exceptional location I can see where the advantage I have over people who do not have good locations is massive, I do think trade chat balances this quite a bit. Global vendors isn’t a good solution but we need some way where people can compete vrs the established at this point there arnt new market towns popping up anyone new will find it hard to get premium spots.

everyone needs a means to be competitive or they won’t play. This needs to be done with out destroying the market towns.

20. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

1) No need to keep more than 1 vendor location;
    2) Several occuped spots will be empty; why should i bother having more than 1 spot if eevryone will use a global search mechanic ?
    3) Premium spots will mean nothing because everyone will only for the lower price.
    4) Less social interaction. Why care about trade chat channel ?
    5) All this will end like the retail UO is.. search for an item... create a teleport scroll for the location ... buy it.... 5 minutes after you even remember from who you bought.

Lifeless, boring and the exaclty system that all other MMORPGs current have. This is a game breaker for my playing style as a trader

Elwyn and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.