1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Shroud 2020 Vision

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

re: regional products, a good example would be coconut trees which only grow well in tropical climates.

While it may be possible to grow these in greenhouses in colder climates, it shouldn't happen that a coconut grove is thriving out on the open ground.

2. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

That's a great point!! They absolutely had no issue creating THAT which is very easy to search through and find exactly what I need! guess we see where the priorities lie......

3. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

you actually CAN play now without spending a dime if you wish. Its free to play, your given a lot deed after completing main quest and can buy a house on vendor with in game gold. Most if not all furniture that is fold on the website has a craftable version you can make in game so ya, you can absolutely play without paying any real money friend. :)

Caernarvon, Cyin and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  4. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

They said they were working on UI polish for most of 2018. What that really meant was: "we're putting in a Crown Store into the game".
    But they had to go F2P in the first place because the Journal/Questing experience was subpar.

They want to be Fortnite but they don't have the bandwidth for that level of polish, so they can't compete.
    But fixing the CORE fantasy game experience (forget even saying Ultima at this point) would help them make more money.

But hey, you do you and double-down on microtransactions, analytics and mobile game monetization strategies.

Maybe Fallout 76 isn't a big enough cautionary tale yet.

ephialtes, Xandra7, Drilikath and 3 others like this.
  5. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Chris has a good plan posted ..we might not get features we want in the order we want but we know theyre coming .

Caernarvon, Astirian and Anpu like this.
  6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Gngggghhhhhh. Dont call it fallout. 76 is enough. This abhorrent thing is no fallout!

Mishikal and Astirian like this.
  7. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

I have to be honest, if you do just certain playstyle like pvp, it is fucking hard to equip and get in par with others cause you don't get any money from pvp, so you have to spend Real money if you want to maximize your char without doing pve. Remember Now we have artifacts up to legendary, new mw and enchants , 2x ring, backpack slot, belts and so on, a full maximized char gear could cost up to 10kk.
    Sure you can do those money grinding in game , but if you are not the guy who like to grind mobs and want to do pvp, you have to spend something nowdays .

8. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

For sure: spending time ;)
    If PvP means "not to work hard", because of robbing people, you are right ;)

Making a 10,000 of gold in game EASY is really NOT difficult.
    Just for logging in daily you receive 500 gold (at the Oracle - don't lie to her), after 20 days you have it without "grinding" - well,if you don't consider logging in every day as kind of "grinding" ;)

Elwyn likes this.
  9. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

You misunderstood me, i said 10kk that means 10 milions, if you have pvp build and aren't a fire mage or an archer it will take tons of time for you. If my playstyle is just pvp i should be able to progress just doing it, is not robbing, but earnimg reward for you hard work.

Just to make an example of what i said before: i had almost, but not yet, finished to upgrade my gear to new mw ench and still have my arties rare, but yesterday they added second ring slot, it means i have to grind 1kk and more to get a ring of wisdom ( trying min/Max my char for pvp and be in par with others that already did) it could take maybe 2 week for me or more playing everyday a lot considering i don't have a pve build. So best choice for me will be buying 1 milion igg from a fire mage that will take 1 2 days of grinding to do 1 milion.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

But that is every game with player trade. If you can give the best gear to somebody, theres folks who will pay real money for it. Hell, if you can trade gold to another player at all, theres people who will pay the people willing to grind so they can skip the grind. Its litterally every mmo with character progression and trade.

If you consider that pay to win, and you think there shouldnt be pay to win, then your options are make all gear non tradeable which will force you to grind out your own gear yourself, or you just want everyone to have the same gear from the get-go.

Sol Stormlin and Elwyn like this.
  11. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

I know, but if my class would be competitive as a fire mage in pve or if could do money with pvp i would be in par with others in terms of money done so i didn't feel the necessity to spend Real money. Considering certain ppl/classes can and other cannot make the game p2w for those last ones.
    Not talking about the fact that everytume that something got nerfed, every skill in the game, in my opinion, should have 100% unlearn or you have to spend 1500 cotos everytime. I am not against nerf and balancing, but i am against paying 1500 cotos for respec in a game that get constantly Balances, respec should always be Free, maybe just put a 1 day cooldown

12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

anyways, while we are talking, what do you think the Factory pvp arena is gonna be? A pvp forge/refinery?

Sol Stormlin likes this.
  13. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I could return you that. So you and yours want more sale because you cant promote items for yourself and need a program to do it for you. So you can sell item super low and break economy, the customer wont have to go anywhere and will be forced to do business with you, thus entraving the game economy and people feeling in general about the game (just like any other mmo with auction house i saw, which i had in my comment btw, if you readed my arguments and not only thought something out of your butt about how i do business).

Btw i didnt sell an item since at least a month. And logued in once in 3 week. Oh and my vendor was sitting last time i saw him. Im totally doing what you said.

But anyway, seeing the bunch of impulsive people asking for this that cant think further than their reasoning all i say is this:
    Have fun with your new vendor search! Hope you like buying your own items

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  14. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I know I know, they work really hard. Which is why it's so frustrating for me to watch them continuously underestimate the importance of the story presentation. Like, almost to the point where it looks like they... kinda don't care about it... really. But it's so important in getting people hooked. Get them hooked, they form an attachment to the game, they stick around for the sandbox gameplay, they spend all the monies.

And the other thing is, it's not something you'll see in number crunching analytics, what you will see... is poor early player retention.

(I mean there are other factors at play for poor early player retention but this is such a huge one, along with polish I would argue)

On polish actually, I've worked with so many talented and intelligent fellas that make a functional thing. And it's impressive and great and everything - but it doesn't look all that good and it's not polished and maybe kinda janky around the edges, so, maybe other programmers really appreciate the great thing - but the guy on the street doesn't care.

Steve Jobs focused on polish and presentation and look where that got him.

15. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Nope. I am not a seller, I am a buyer fed up with you elite people with your vendors in prime locations screwing me out of my hard earned money because our current system doesn't promote competition which would force people to price more competitively. Meaning if I don't like your price, I have an option which is really not realistically there right now.

16. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

here is a prime example of why our current vendor system is so terrible. I spend 3 days grinding gold on path to buy granite to build a specific dungeon room. I finally get the gold and run to purchase the granite which I just so happened to know where some was at (on a side note there may well have been someone out there selling granite much cheaper than this person but because of our current system and me with a life and no time to vendor hop, I am forced to spend what I did on the granite) I run gleefully to a smelting table to make said room and realize I don't have the blueprint which I forgot I needed. I spend a significant amount of time searching vendors for someone selling one and find none. I am confident there is probably someone with said blueprint out there trying to sell it considering how many vendors are placed in game but because our system is such crap and discourages getting buyers and sellers together, I give up pissed because I like I said I have a life and can't spend all year searching ALL the vendors one at a time. This is one more nail in the "quitting the game" coffin and while I am not there buy a long shot, its the little things like this that drive people like me away and ultimately discourage new players from joining. Its the little things @Chris

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree it is the little things. All the missing basics that were not thought out. Imagine many players come into this game not even knowing anything about the game and they do leave because of it. Too many frustrations and lack of shown information that makes all the difference to plan their play time and game goals.

Mishikal, Dhanas and Drilikath like this.
  18. oplek

oplek Avatar

I got a little further than that. I got so far as building an encounter room. For some reason it wasn't spawning encounters. Come to find out, I needed a totem. So I got a totem. Then I couldn't place it. Come to find out, I needed to spend COTO to turn my "encounter room" into a REAL encounter room. I haven't revisited dungeon building since.

19. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Seems to me you guys didn't do any homework on what it takes to make dungeons. The information is out there. *shrugs*

20. oplek

oplek Avatar

It is a failure of game design that game mechanics need "homework".

It is a failure of game design that there's no in-game instructions or hints on how to use a complex system.

It is a failure of game design that components misrepresent what they are.

It is a failure of game design that those misrepresented components need essentially microtransactions to convert them into what they were supposed to be in the first place.

Only in Shroud of the Avatar would the failure of the game to be good be the player's fault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.