1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Shroud 2020 Vision

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Allright, here is my point in a nutshell. I hate being overly dramatic but who cares:
    SotA is a niche game. SotA has to stay a niche game or it will die.
    If SotA get's streamlined too much it will have to compete against a dozen of AAA titles that perfected streamlining and catering to the instant reward, constant reward mob.
    Improve the core systems, improve the RPG aspect, hell, improve tradeing because there is still a lot to improve. But if SotA switches away from it's exotic systems for streamlining it will be game over. More UO, more Ultima, more EvE! and less WoW and Swtor.

2. Numa

Numa Avatar

One of the things I really liked about the Mandalorean series was that jedi were so rare that they were basically just rumors and tales. The creators fleshed the mini-universe out with good Star Wars lore that wasn't jedi oriented. As a result, the show ended up much better than a lot of Star Wars movies because it was nuanced and balanced in just the right way.

SOTA economy has balance problems just as basic as the lack of a global/regional goods & pricing search. Vendors are hard to maintain ( as @Vladamir Begemot has repeatedly pointed out). Recipes don't make sense (ie. rings require more ingots to make than swords), and raw materials aren't specific or more easily found in a region as they should be.

Maybe Catnip should just roll the dice and try to fix all the basic problems at once while we still have the player population to do it. I agree with Vlad that we still have a year to turn it around for the better.

3. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

Well, you must be one of the Land owning elites that benefit from your early opportunity to grab the best spot. I understand why you would hold on so tightly to a system that forces the majority of the players not living out their shopkeeper fantasy to deal with a terribly inconvenient and time consuming method to simply procure the goods that they are interested in buying to further the real reasons they are playing. I also understand if you are afraid to embrace a realistic economy . It is not an easy task to be successful and if you don't posses the ability, you may fail. I honestly dont care about how you have fun in this game. I care about how I have fun. Spending hours on end looking for silver ore is nuts, when what I want to do is kill mobs. That said, I will continue to vocally advocate for a global marketplace. It seems from Chris's comments, that its happening and once he decides its going to happen, you only have a year or three before its possibly a reality.

ShurTugal and Fister Magee like this.
  4. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

You are advocating for "fun" for the select few at the cost of unfun for the majority who make it our mission in life to buy from vendors as infrequent as possible. The other thing people dont get is if you change the system to make it "easier" and more efficient, less time consuming all you traders will probably gain business from people like me who avoid the vendor system like the plague. But go ahead, resist change and make less than could potentially be earned if the market is opened to more...

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Oh I am all for a revamp of the vendor system. But I am not for removing it. Which is basically what you want.
    So, yes, I resist the change you want.

6. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

This is all fine and dandy but I resist this person telling me what the game should be to me. This is what the game may be for him/her and others but for many of us, vendors are just a means to and end even if the gear will eventually break. Creating a horrendous system where I have to develop "connections " in the market just to get a deal break the game for me....

7. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

No body is advocating removing it friend. I am confident there is a way to tweak things to satisfy all of us to some degree if we are open to it

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Well, I do hope so. We will see.

9. Oracle Watcher

Oracle Watcher Avatar

Bzzt! Cleanup initiated. Please avoid attacks and keep feedback constructive!

Mishikal, ShurTugal, Anpu and 6 others like this.
  10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

It's very hard to take you seriously after you said that. Just look at CICI, who has had a prime location (and then thrown it away) in every single town, owned a town and sold it, and moves around so much it makes my head spin. If you want a good spot go get it, the only thing standing in the way is you.

If you need a hint, I can help you avoid the going CICI's route by saying "Just ask at the market towns". Send out a message to half a dozen governors and you'll have a prime spot, then you'll be the "Landed Elite". Lol.

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I sell ten times more in one vendor town than I do in Brit alleys. And that's that.

12. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Separate thread to say AMEN to that. Omg our character builder needs a complete redesign. We all look the same. Also, hats are tragic. Just... tragic.
    I have a spot right by my main gate that has a vendor in it that says "available for active vendors" for 6 months and not a single person has taken it. There are even four empty spots on my dock area which people see even before they come into my town and those are empty too. If people aren't selling it's because either they're not advertising or their pricing is way too expensive. And yes this game was designed so that people would have to make an effort for their shops to do well. Same as Ultima Online and same as Star Wars Galaxies.

My Town, even though it's nested gets a lot of traffic because I advertise and I'm in Broadcasting so Immortal city is in the spotlight a lot.

People arguing for This Global price listings have absolutely no idea what they're asking for. They think they've got no business now? Wait until they have to list all their stuff at a loss or almost free because nothing will sell unless they do so.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I am guessing that a lot of places have prime lot locations now. It's hard to vend for a long period of time! It requires more time than it should, and as such convincing merchants to come in is hard.

Fix the UI and you'll fix all sorts of side effects, and not have to waste a bunch of time halfway building something new, devs.

(I know we're just arguing with ourselves now, devs don't read this far, but it beats reloading my merchants in game.)

14. CICI

CICI Avatar

if we would like a bigger player base we need a vendor overhaul...
    • Run a sale setting
    • Global Search like Star Wars Galaxies
    an no it will not be a race to the bottom.. supply and demand!

POT or NPC's Towns: Still need to spam trade chat/forums/discord
    in the end it seems to be mostly the same customers..

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Wilfred, Xandra7 and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Another reminder -- please stay on topic and tone down the aggressiveness of the discussion. Present your constructive ideas / feedback, respond to other's ideas / feedback with constructive feedback. I had to moderate quite a few inflammatory remarks that simply didn't belong on the forums. I do like that we're all passionate about this game... but let's not let that passion lead anger towards one another. Also, that took 30 minutes to muddle through the acceptable / unacceptable. Imagine I could have been processing bug reports instead of that? Behave more? I get more time to do things that are more constructive to the game.

Many thanks ;)

16. Alleine Dragonfyre

Yeah I'm pretty much writing this appeal to the devs at this point.

17. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Sometimes we read this far but yeah, you guys would rather have me implementing some of this stuff rather than reading 400+ messages. :)

Chatele, Astirian, Anpu and 8 others like this.
  18. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Thanks, @Cordelayne, excellent article! Lots to think about.

19. Alleine Dragonfyre

THANK YOU OMG. I could not find this article in on his site no matter what keywords I used.

Main takeaway:

"SWG eventually did put in a serverwide auction house, responding to WoW. It made life easier for the buyers. But it created a perfect information economy, and all that complexity and variation that was present in the market earlier fell away. Small shopkeepers were shut out of markets.

If that happens to you in a game, you don’t find another line of work. You quit."

@Chris

But you know, what do veteran players and developers know? Right? ;)

20. CICI

CICI Avatar

lol bigger player base supply and demand!

Cyin and Xandra7 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.