Chris the economic impact of artifacts like Vex Wand

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Jan 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alphonse alFahn

Alphonse alFahn Avatar

Truth... they are artifacts... from a time long lost, made with techniques no longer attainable, by masters of the craft that were divinely inspired. As such, they should not be able to be improved upon.

Tirrag and arcdevil like this.
  2. Numa

Numa Avatar

I think it should be possible that lesser copies can be made and that it is these copies that should be enchantable or masterworkable.

This way the "lesser" artifacts would be similar but different from the originals.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  3. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

It perfectly reasonable that modern crafters could improve an ancient item. Just because the original methods of crafting are lost to time doesn't mean that modern crafters couldn't use their techniques to improve an item and they of course would do that so yes, artifacts should be enchant able and masterworkable

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  4. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I would argue that a crafters worth and power lie in the improvement of an item NOT the creation of an item which falls nicely in line with the artifact story and how crafters make them better so I would make the case that if a crafter is not making money than they are attaching their worth to the wrong thing (the creation of an item). They need to change their mindset and attach their worth to what matters, the improvements

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

MY position on this comes purely from a balance standpoint. BTW, get ready for another round of skill nerfs in R74.

6. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I'm always ready and I will survive and thrive since I have quite the diversity of what I can do. :) hit me with a nerf in one area, fine, no problem, I'll just start using this other build I have. :) :)

Numa likes this.
  7. Numa

Numa Avatar

I was about to get my archery specialization but am holding off now :confused:

Back on topic, I do hope the artifact conundrum gets resolved soon so both crafters and non-crafters are happy.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I believe the nerfs that will be happening for sure are: AOEs will have shorter durations and magic skill focus cost will scale with attunement (more attunement, more focus). Also, Piercing Shot and Puncture will probably receive a nerf too.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Numa likes this.
  9. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Well, as far as the aoe speculation goes, if what you say is true, that doesn't really sound like a power output nerf to me which seems to be what people are complaining about. It sounds like a cost to use increase which is perfectly fine with me. If that turns out to be their "nerf" fine with me. Power output would still be there. :)

10. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

I´m not against artifacts but i think the best system is rare components like Torc´s head and handles... it starts as a PVE drop, than you need to salvage and assemble with the base crafting skills, next step is masterwoks and enchantments, this is a good item design.
    They can solve the inbalance with a new tier of refined components, making full crafted gear more appeling

11. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

How about lowering your prices Elrond :p:p:p:p:p:p

Personally, Get rid of artifacts in game, and focus on crafted armor/weapons etc.. or better yet break down artifacts and imbued them in to your personal armor.

12. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

I think artifacts being more powerful than crafted gear is fine, adds some purpose to the grinding in the game. But I think you should only be able to equip a single artifact so that crafted remains the best option for all the other slots. Though there should still be drops that are nearly as good as crafted gear to put some reward into the loot cycle.

Numa likes this.
  13. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

While I agree with this 1000%, there have been many threads by new people that don't want to buy crafted gear and would rather farm mobs for it.
    I personally don't think crafted gear is worth the pricing I see. I craft and sell much cheaper than what I see others sell for. I can do this because I farm my own resources.

The contrast is prolific in this game, you get the players (mostly early adopters) that want an economy driven game. Old school heads for the most part. Younger generation just want to quest. I fall in the middle. I want to quest AND craft but not as a in-game profession. So the prices I see, to me are crazy, because:

1) I don't got out of my way to sell resources etc, to earn to spend on gear.
    2) I'd rather spend my time out adventuring or socializing than shopping.

Mass producing to sell, needs to be driven by a good reason. You need the gear to acoomplish X. However, in contrast you do have a need to buy reagents and stuff. A lot of people don't buy the high-end gear, because they need their coin. People want gold sinks etc, but that also takes away from people buying expensive gear. So do they buy your gear, or save it for stuff like questing. If they aren't actively trying to be a trader, this is a problem.

Vendors who want to make money selling gear, really need PR people who actively go out and buy resources in hot spots, beginner areas, etc. Not just post stuff on a vendor that may never get visited.

14. Morgathys

Morgathys Avatar

instead having arty drop from mobs directly, ite can drops as recipe copies (1 time useable) and rarely the original (being able to make copies).

This way the crafters will be required to craft the Arty. (idea from eve online)

Producer trees can also have a specialization to get crafters more focused and pushing them to interact with other professions (unless they multi-accounts) :D

15. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I would not get rid of them but rather let you use their essence to enhance crafted gear. R/Boris

16. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I will strongly disagree with you and I am not a crafter. The promise from the beginning was that the best gear would be crafted. You have two intertwined economies at work here, crafting and gatherers affected by two examples.

Example one: Xen and Envy bows severely affected bowyers. Vex severely affects wand makers.

Example two: Bandit Leather Armor severely affected leather armor in all types.

So your crafters that spent countless hours honing their skills have just been kicked to the curb. Gatherers that sold them mats for gold which they use to buy those crafted goods got hosed as the demand for their mats dropped off the charts.

Think about it for a minute and how that mentality will make new players walk away, keep potential new ones from coming on board and further increase the probability of this game ending on the scrap heap.

R/Boris/El Pirata

17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

You should just sell the resources, you'd make more gold. Since you aren't, your buyers need to thank you for subsidizing the difference for them.

In other words, you're selling them transmuted tin for 50g when the market price is 140+. You're selling them transmuted wood for 20g, when the market price is 100+.

18. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

I think Chris is right to change things up and experiment with some new pieces. The game needs to evolve. Great idea, Chris!

Anpu likes this.
  19. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Understood, but you are missing my point. Players like myself could care less about market value. I make my own gear. I make it for guildies and friends. I sell what I deem less than optimal for these (mine, friends and guildies) builds. Even so the prices I see for gear because people are trading resources at extremely prices is insane. A lot of people can't afford it except those doing the active trading. Players like me don't LIKE trading... so the prices are insane.

I mean for every thread I see about people letting gear sit, I once in awhile will do a shopping day and find these problems.

1) Overpriced
    2) Doesn't have the stats I want
    3) Missing enchantments for skills I want

I've bought expensive custom orders, but most of the vendors are filled with stuff I wouldn't make for myself based on my playstyle. People not actively trying to sell resources, see the same thing. This is not conjecture. This is from testimonials. Don't get me wrong, if you built me a gear to spec I would pay for it, but mass producing items to sell you think people want, then saying the stuff doesn't move... well that's a risk you take. Not every is going to agree with what you THINK they want.

Sulaene Moon likes this.
  20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I get your point. The gear economy is broken and always has been.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.