new aoe changes make magic pointless

Discussion in 'Feedback Archive' started by Mac2, Jan 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

380 fire attunement, 45 seconds from a 6 stacked level 150 rof, last 45 seconds and half of that time deal basically no damage, hit things for 6. To be using that skill means I pretty much have to constantly just stack it cast it cast a couple heals, stack it cast it , use a couple heals. I will be WAY better off just unlearning and spending that exp into other things. If this is going to stay like this we should be getting 100% return on our skills, dont feel like wasting my cotos on unlearning scrolls for sever changes like this.

2. Alder Bosardt

Alder Bosardt Avatar

So far I feel the same. I have spent the last 18 months raising the mage skills to high levels to be able to kill high level creatures in game. This change has just killed the mage class. No reason to be a caster guess just go back to mele and keep the tribe happy since it looks as if there is a war against mages.

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I feel aoe was OP and game breaking, but I don’t think it should be nerfed into uselessness.

It needs to have a place in builds but not the this is what everyone has to play to achieve competitive xp gains. An easy fix might be to greatly increase xp rewards in low mob density areas and leave aoe as it was.

I’m not apposed to a free greater unlearning book! I think better balance though is the best choice.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Cordelayne, Mhtic and Mac2 like this.
  4. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Why is it that changes so often go to the Extreme ? It just gets every users out there upset and so often just ends up back peddling to the way it should be but after month and month of users being upset for nothing.
    HOW about doing little changes to the AOE and then checking the math or see how it goes first instead of freaking everybody out that uses the skill in question?

5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What if multiple people cast the same AOE?

Mac2 likes this.
  6. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

This is the reason why testers complain that notes on changes should be given in ample time to test. This should have been on the test server and tested to see how bad the swing was prior to release.
    Oh well, we've seen it before and will see it again.

7. Restless

Restless Avatar

8. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

That is meaningless for ring of fire because only one will effect the creature, I believe the last one cast???? Or strongest???? One of those two which is why "never cross the beams!" Aka never overlap ring of fires

9. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Maybe I will be untraining my fire tree and dump all into polearms. We will see when I get home from Work and have a chance to test it but if this is hosing mac they way it is, I will probably be respeccing. No reason for a mere mortal like myself to continue down the fire tree if this is how its effective a God like mac.. lol

10. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

There is everything wrong with it when they take it to far to where people like me throw up my hands and untrain everything and move on to another tree. Might as well remove fire completely from the game.

11. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ok, I gotta give this another go as well, I had a side grumpyness factor from having to go out and shovel snow, but now that is done, I can play, feel a lot better.
    Ya, I was not opposed to a nerf on the fire, or the aoes. I know it is a good way to kill many mobs fast, thats why right now I am fire and moon spec for lots of aoe damage. But to lose that much duration and the ring of fire and meteor shower, where a person who is speced in those and has them at the levels that I do, it was about 45 seconds on each 6 stacked rof and MS, 5 stack ice field. Then the factor of I still have dual fire rings and vex wands as well and still only 45 seconds. is that going to go down to 35 seconds when dual artifact wield goes away? How long does ring of fire last for a new player? I would say, about 75 seconds from a 6 stack at my level, 45 seconds for a level 80 fire tree with spec, that kind of ratio I think would be doable, a lot tougher then it is now still though, you know pushing your limits of an aoe build.

But, I did not get to test something that maybe I am speaking too soon, but I had to go shovel snow so I was all grumpy LOL. If I try dynamic stacking the rof and MS, maybe I can pull that off and it would not be so bad.

Or what if I just should bring a moon mage and an ice mage, they done even necessarily have to be speced. Would this promote partying? Now that attenuation is lifted, I feel this discourages parting cuz you can get more now if you can solo big areas of mobs at once, and that is what the aoe build does. But then thats get me thinking.

This is really funny cuz I was wondering the same thing, not just the fire tree, but the moon tree as well. That is almost 2 billion I could stick into a polearms build beyond what I already have there. Could I kill large groups of mobs the way I can now faster with a weapon then I can with my fire and moon? If so, that will be the way to go as it also does not have weaknesses like fire and moon do like fire resistant or immune mobs and some mobs a highly moon resistance like lich mages, but not as limited as fire for resistant mobs. This is why I would like to see 100% return on some of the trees that are effected by this IF this is going to stay.

Yes, but Chris can change it as well, I think 75 seconds would be doable but definitely a lot harder then before, can go ahead and keep the damage wearing down maybe as well then. But at 45 seconds at my level WITH dual vex fire ring and then the damage doing down on it as well, trying to keep you buffs active and heal over times not even including the soothing rain as I dont bother with it with dual vex wands, BUT maybe I'm to hasty and should try dynamic stacking. Time to try.

12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I dont recall mention of the damage being afffected at all.

The folks i knew testing it on QA reported it still did the same damage, was just a shorter duration and cost more to use.

In tararus, specifically, the Zombies had thier resistance to fire and banish undead increased i heard. Are you trying this on zombies?

Numa and Anpu like this.
  13. oplek

oplek Avatar

*whispers* always free total respec
    *whispers more* instant xp application so people stop being pissed when something is balanced because their time is wasted

14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

got a cpl fire mages in the guild there still soloing tarturus says they are working more but getting more xp per hour.... so no nerf according to them

Cordelayne, Numa, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  15. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

yeah same here although bummed attunement will take a hit with the dual wield thing but hey what can ya do but adjust. Maybe those +20 att fish will Someday have more than a minuscule chance at dropping.

Cordelayne, Numa, Tailz and 1 other person like this.
  16. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

Ultimately we are leveling/grinding for hours/days/months/years just to be cut in half or so... what tis the end game with this? level/grind another 2 years to close to 200 skill just to be cut in half again? LMAO... that's the best balance that can be done?

Questions @Chris - Please explain the point of leveling/grinding then? What is the point of improving our characters? When do we get real balance; separate pvp and pve & increase mob AI/skills so that we can actually put to use the skills we grind for? Who is to say that this kind of cut will not happen again? Is this the ultimate plan for the long term of this game/project?

The community should be informed if this the case and not be kept guessing or in the dark about your real intentions or lack there of.

I see no point in continuing to grind for ever/at all, just to be cut in half because balance is not applied properly nor do we have "real" new content to conquer, enjoy, and aspire to. Makes no sense at all.

17. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I’d love a long term vision from the devs on this subject but I’m not sure any really exist.

18. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Rings of fire is the most used skill in the fire tree ( By Far ) the other skills are mediocre at best.. so they would have to raise the other skills big time to compensate for the Extream nerf they did to ROF. WHICH ( I dont know if you around then ) they actually raise ROF and Meteor shower about a year ago because it was too weak LOL .. They keep on bouncing back forth because they go from one extreme to another unbalancing everything else in the process which is why they keep going around in circles every 6 to 12 months or so and its very frustrating to the users ( especially the ones that have been in the game a long time as it feels like your an apartment that under goes under renovations every 6 months or so forcing us to move everything around once again..)

perhaps longer testing is needed to to properly adjust stuff before releasing a 240 volts of shock to the users ..

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  19. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

It s the last one that casted it over another ( however you can cast another one from another person as long as it does not touch or overlap the other ones )

20. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Perhaps a longer test period is needed for this kind of change.. I mean look at how many people are upset!!! I mean its been years now that I have been hearing about major balancing changes and people getting upset!! Is this normal ? I really dont play that many online games so I don't really know but its seems to be an uproar every few months or so on some kind of change that really seems like it could be better tested before throwing it out making so many mad and upset, then after toning the change back down midway through the release. ( by that time you already got ill-will in those people minds ) . Anyways I guess I will be crafting for a while and see what happens and if it gets modified/adjusted a bit. ( As it usually does ) :)

Boris Mondragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.