new aoe changes make magic pointless

Discussion in 'Feedback Archive' started by Mac2, Jan 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sagemettle

sagemettle Avatar

So annoyed by this ring of fire change. 33 seconds for a 6 stack Level 120 fire spec'd mage. 6 seconds to cast it. terrible nerf. How come the "balance" always ends up making the game less fun?

FrostII, Sulaene Moon, Cirsee and 2 others like this.
  2. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I still think the best way to adjust RoF and other persistent AEs would be to add a focus drain component to them. Then you could have a more reasonable cost (over time) for such a powerful effect without shortening duration or otherwise making play more tedious. That would also make it more challenging for solo mages to maintain a bunch of different AEs at the same time, as well as making focus management in general much more of a thing.

3. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

My take away from this thread is taming needs to be buffed!

Anpu, ShurTugal, Sulaene Moon and 2 others like this.
  4. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Answering your question: it is because the same person is always adjusting things. Chopping us off at the knees with 1-3 passes on balancing something they don't have an established player-level knowledge of. The discrepancy should be obvious, and maybe it is, but it is unspoken.

I wanted to add: "Ripping off a bandage" has minimal effect changing that the wound persists. Think on that.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  5. Morgathys

Morgathys Avatar

You are absolutely right by saying that RoF is the most used skill in fire tree, you never asked yourself why?
    If the spell coldown before the end of its duration, you still able to perma AoE like before with the exact same damage, nothing changed except the frequence you need to cast it.
    The real difference is now the way you use it.

The only "Extream" here is the exageration and the capacity to bring a wannabe injustice on table and threating to leave the game everytime your specific build and skills are adjusted & balanced.

6. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I don't like doing this but...

I TOLD YOU SO!

60% 'balance' (a.k.a. NERF) on ring of fire WAS NOT tested by the devs. Using MS Excel to decide how to balance things is not good.

@Chris PLAY THE GAME !

7. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Skill still works, OMG I can not just stand around and heal anymore, huge doom and gloom over nothing. Not one single person that I play with had one bad thing to say about the change. Do you actually have to play instead of stand around and heal... SURE DO... About dang time.. From day 1 I have complained about OP fire mage. Then you all just went and got way more powerful with artifacts. I was told to quit by all of you or go play another class when Polearms was nerfed into unusable state and I complained.

KARMA....

I still enjoy the game, I do not see this fire change as such a big deal as the rest of you. I hope you all do respec into the next major thing that breaks the game, so that way @Chris and the rest of the Development team can keep on making SOTA better.

Drilikath

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I see a lot of ppl missing their IWIN Button =D
    Seeing the amount of rage I get the feeling Chris did something right.
    Stuff like that is day to day business in MMOs. Better get used to it and don't waste your nerves on it. That's just unhealthy.

That aside, massive changes like that should always be connected to a free reskilling. Always.

9. oplek

oplek Avatar

10. Numa

Numa Avatar

You are a very brave man to posr that in this thread :)

11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I don't think anyone disagrees that fire needed nerfing, but as we've seen historically these sorts of changes are often huge pendulum swings.
    But, I've heard that fire mages are still soloing things just fine, but it takes a bit longer..I never jumped on the fire bandwagon so don't know for sure.
    Totally understand the frustration of working on your character for months/years to log in one day and find out you are a potato. I've been through that quite a few times over the course of the game's history. Its absolutely rage-quit inducing; at least with fire, we all knew it was coming as the level of damage output compared to anything else was just ridiculous.

Seems to me the easiest way to 'fix' fire would have been to remove the multiple stacking dots from 1 source, but let fire skills from different players stack with each other. That way it would still be useful in a group but you'd stop the rampant soloing. Shrug. I no longer even pretend to guess what the vision is or what people are thinking with some of the changes I see.

K1000, GMDavros and Numa like this.
  12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I am a terrible troll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Non the less that's how I feel.
    Yes, YES I know very well how annoying balancing is. But if we start to lose our mind every time something get's changed or nerfd or buffed this forum will become a lunatic asylum.
    The simple fact is: change won't go away. This is an MMOish game. Yes changes may be changed on feedback, sure. But going ballistic over them isn't a feedback at all.

Ninja Edit: Plus I really think a free respec is in order.

13. Numa

Numa Avatar

To be honest, I've been waiting for someone predominantly skilled in Lunar, Earth or even Water to add their voice to this thread regarding the AoE changes. But it's been mostly if not all feedback from very high level fire mages who now have difficulty soloing high level content that they could take on before.

I like your idea of having fire dots stack with each other. It will surely encourage and enhance group play specially since the majority of magic centered avatars are fire specced for dps.

14. Numa

Numa Avatar

...and we wouldn't have you otherwise :)

We've both been here from the start, and after all this time and all these changes the question I'd like to be clearly answered are:

1. Is SOTA now intended to be an MMO?
    2. Are all instances and content meant to be soloable now?
    3. Is the loot system now shifting to something more artifact (instead of crafting) based?

Have seen a lot of posts from people with a mindset that clearly harks back to the beginning when SOTA was supposed to be the single-player/multiplayer/offline hybrid. Maybe it's time to make things clear so that this and future changes make more sense to people.

15. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

As a high level fire mage here's a few things I've noticed:

1) My DPS has not changed. not even a little bit!
    2) My focus remains 100% the entire time as I continue to be able to solo tartarus poison room (and get about 4 mil per hour now)
    3) My RoF now disappears for a whole 2-3s before I replace it w/ a new six stack

Yeah, locked glyph users are going to have to spend a much more significant amount of time charging up their glyphs. However, the game already provides a mechanic to avoid this, its called dynamic stacking. I suggest you all try it out before you continue your belly aching.

16. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I never understood the problem…just because you can play a game solo does not mean you can achieve everything ingame this way. It just means the game is not forcing you to play in a group if you don’t like playing in a group but it was never said that you can survive challenges designed for groups while playing alone...this was and is just true for the offline mode.

Numa likes this.
  17. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

These changes seem pretty reasonable to me, I feel the same way Mimner does about it.

But when you take away the easy button, people are going to complain I guess. Let them have 100% return on skills, but I'll be sticking with fire for now ;)

K1000, Mimner and Numa like this.
  18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Awwwww <3

That ARE actually really good questions because to my knowledge the never have been answred so far.
    Maybe we can get @Elgarion to present them to @Chris

I can deal with 1. being a yes and I don't care about 2. but 3. is a mighty important one to me. Crafting needs a buff.
    I would like to say it needs a buff to be important, alas it never was except a few things.

Widsith [MGT] and Numa like this.
  19. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I'm Earth spec, and LOVE the new changes to my tree! :D I haven't tried my fire magic yet though, so I can't really say much about that.

This could work... but I'm already having focus management issues!

20. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

BARDS! :)

Earl Atogrim von Draken and Numa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.