new aoe changes make magic pointless

Discussion in 'Feedback Archive' started by Mac2, Jan 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

With these AoE changes I'm pretty glad I picked up the spellbinder's stance which reduces casting time and increases focus recovery.

Lorewise it's funny because my build and character is supposed to be a mage-killer and here i am using their techniques lol.

Arkah EMPstrike likes this.
  2. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Balance has been the biggest issue in this game. For you to say this just baffles me.

This is not the end of the world. If the change was really that bad, it might get a little love. But from what I have seen and the numbers, Nothing has changes, other then having to actually play the game now, and not just sit and heal. More effort not super easy mode.

Jayydoc3 and Anpu like this.
  3. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

No, it's not op and the current approach was to much and life is to short to deal with this **** so I am taking my exp and going home #putting them in a different tree. I am not opposed to balance and reasonable changes but these people never make reasonable changes. They move the dial ALL they way down until people ***** and them ease it back, in the mean time pissing people off who's **** they are messing with. I am vehemently opposed to that approach and always have been. There are better ways to do it. Fyi, this is not the first time they've pulled this **** and probably wont be the last...

4. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

This fire mage cared enough to spend 20 dollars to completely unlearn the tree. Fyi

5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I know. You said you put 180 mil into the fire tree to get Just ring of fire as strong as possible. Lots of people put points into the fire tree for that 1 skill.

The people in game that i play with that are actual fire mages tho, They've already adapted and pwn just as hard as they did before the change. So It's not fire magic thats suffering. Its a particular playstyle that not all fire mages are engaged in that is suffering.

My question is what is the difference between the way yall are playing a fire mage, and the way they are playing a fire mage? Why is it it hurts yall so bad, but not them? Thats what im trying to find out

Numa, Anpu and Drilikath like this.
  6. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I never dumped that all into fire "just" for ring of fire. ring of fire was simply one of several tools I used in that tree. Immulations being the second and at time fireball and the arrow skill so saying I used that 180mil ONLY to improve the ring of fire is patently false. I never said I couldn't adapt to the new way. In fact I went to tartarus and ran the wave zombie room for a bit and could clearly still do it. I choose NOT to because I disagree with the change and feel they took it to far. I have said that I am ok with proper balance. what I am NOT ok with is the extremes these folks tend to take things when they "balance" that is all..

7. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

easy, the deck system.
    I see streamer play fire and throw a 1 stack fire ring thinking its gonna own everything. All my skills are locked, i charge all to 6x, even fireball. Damage is considerable. But even if you know that, and tryed to explain it, i did many times without success in every possible way. So good luck ;p

Vero and Drilikath like this.
  8. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

The change has hit those with static glyphs. My RoF now lasts 14.6s regardless of how many stacks. It takes 7s to charge a full 6 stack of RoF with a static glyph. So those with static RoF are now spending nearly 50% of their time charging in order to keep their ring continuous. This is a huge jump because the value before R74 was closer to 10% of your time spent charging.

This change does almost nothing to those with a dynamic deck. As soon as you throw your six stack, you can stack back up to 5 RoF and then hold the stack with mind lock. The sixth glyph will come off cooldown about 1s after your current RoF disappears. As soon as it pops up you can quickly stack RoF to 6 and then throw it. The result is my RoF stays down about 2-3s.

This 'nerf' was a huge fail. My dps is still hitting upwards of 1500, and my focus remains at 100%. This is only hurting the static glyph folks. imho, stacking dynamic glyphs was already far superior to charging static glyphs, so no need for this nerf.

@Chris @Elgarion I'm still out dps'ing by more then 10 times skilled players of different builds who know how to maximize their build's potential. Can we please get back to actually balancing aoe damage in a damage per focus cost way? The fact that AoE has unlimited damage potential (just get more mobs in area) makes it impossible to balance damage with focus cost.

Arkah EMPstrike and Numa like this.
  9. Numa

Numa Avatar

@Mimner , thank you for that excellent detailed explanation. Will try your technique with ice field and add feedback to this thread.

Mimner likes this.
  10. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

The Death/Air Mage says....hold my beer. :)

Mac, thanks for coming back and acknowledging what you did. The game is out of whack, even for a player like you. And any changes are going to hurt people like you the most. But if it's good for the longevity of the game I just want to say "thanks for taking one for the team."

This is the challenge of any game like SotA that has an open skill system. People quickly respec to counter the nerf bat in these types of games. In a WoW-type game you are screwed and have to re-roll a new character. While I agree people shouldn't be master of all (you are probably one of the few exceptions), true balance in SotA will be when a player can spec at least 4 of the magic/combat trees and be viable (meaning you should be able to at least GM 4 skills in total that do direct damage and have a good build - I'm not considering the passives or armor skills). There's wiggle room in what I am saying, allowing for builds to switch out to meet the situation. But when people have to respec, it hurts.

@Elgarion I'm not sure if it's possible, but in the past when things affected a tree in a detrimental way the team was quick to give a free respec that release (not sure if it was a full respec or for that tree). :)

Anpu and Numa like this.
  11. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

So, like, are you saying the Deck System is a lie? :D I have 2 skills locked, and now you got me thinking I'm playing wrong - which I know I am. LOL.

Mechanically, it makes me think we should get rid of charges and allow people to use a dynamic deck most of the time and just make the skills do equal damage (no charge). Otherwise, make it so you can charge dynamic decks. I am NOT talking about most efficient. You have figured that out. I am saying that why have a deck system if a mostly static deck rules?

There is no balance. There is no spoon.

Rat2, Boris Mondragon and Numa like this.
  12. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Sure do that, one more reason to play something else.

Vero likes this.
  13. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Well, you can still max stack all your glyphs with a dynamic deck. It's just a lot more work. The trade off is that stacking is nearly instant and you only have a cast time on the actual cast instead of a big charge up that blocks other things. I'm sure there are probably some decent players that have all but 1 glyph of some skills drawn to the same slot with stacking hotkeys to pull them out and lock as they go. It's way too much effort for my taste though.

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

If Ring of Fire being fully charged is the most important thing for the damage you put out, Im thinking the dynamic deck is what folks will mvoe to, because you can stack the glyphs up while you are doing other things so you arent wasting 7 seconds charging it up.

I also wonder if using cast time buffs makes it charge faster when its static

Magnus Zarwaddim and Numa like this.
  15. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Unless it's been changed recently, only the base cast time affects charge speed, and bonuses from stuff like chaotic feedback and spell binders stance don't do anything other than on the actual cast. It probably has to be that way, because the bonus on feedback is massive at high level/attunement.

Numa and Arkah EMPstrike like this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Do you think reducing the base cast time so that it doesn’t take very long to charge at all would be a substantial help?

17. Vero

Vero Avatar

Arkah, join me next time? ;)

Arkah EMPstrike likes this.
  18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

^ this is the guy

Numa likes this.
  19. Numa

Numa Avatar

So we gathered :) Take a vid please when you two do take the dragon on. We'd like to see how it's done.

Vero likes this.
  20. Vero

Vero Avatar

The power we can get from Fire Magic is still very very high against allot of mob-types. The clockwork dragon fight is an example of where fire just gets crazy versus 'high tier dragon'. A dual Vex/fire ring, high INT, high Attu, 120 spec fire-mage will push an insane amount of dps on a clockwork dragon. So much that the lower duration of the RoF is not that harsh, because the bugger dies fast anyway. (and yes, sometimes in 40-50sec when lucky) Ofcourse when a dragon flys up and away that changes a bit. But alllllll those firedots still ticking addup to a crazy dps against that specific dragon :).

Now take that same build/deck to the Orange pit dragon and it's squeezing out single digit dmg again. Which is good! There is some good balance right there imho!

Anpu and Numa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.