1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Remove location from bank slots

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Vladamir Begemot, Feb 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

A while ago @Chris said they were leaving it in in case someone came up with a good reason to have it.

I haven't heard any yet.

Here are some great reasons to NOT have it.
    • If you are restocking a vendor from your bank, and the stack is in another town, you can't list from a partial stack.
      • You can either take it into inventory and put it back in the bank, several clicks, or click drag it within the bank (if you happen to have learned this trick) and it switches to the town you're in. Still a unneeded click in a world of too many clicks.
        • If your bank happens to be overful (it happens) and you do the non-tricky way, now you're totally screwed as you can't put the items back until you take a day off from work for bank inventory management.
        • MORE annoying is that if you didn't see it was in another town and it's a stack, you split the stack, using up a bunch of your lifetime allocation of clicks, dragged the item over to the listing window, and it pops back into the previous stack in the bank. Now do the above trick to get it to this town, punch yourself in the junk a few times, and split the stack again, cursing the idea of being a merchant with full force and energy.
    • Items from different towns don't stack, so now you're doing extra inventory management (one of our best features), to get them stacking. See above tricks to get them into the town you are in, but since they were dumped in from different places you have a bunch of individual stacks that would have normally autostacked, but are in different towns, so now you're doing it manually. Yay! More clicks!
    • It's a useless column that makes the window wider than it needs to be, in a world with giant windows already competing for real estate.

Gravidy, Morgathys and Fister Magee like this.
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Addendum to being screwed by taking it out, that doesn't just happen when you are working with stacks. Sometimes you just double click to open a container in order to get into it, which usually works without removing the item. But if you didn't notice it's in another town, guess what? That's now in your inventory!

And even if it doesn't screw you, it's super annoying that now you have to go find it in inventory to put it back in the bank.

Huzzah for inconsistency!

3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I do have one potential use for this column, despite my overall agreement with you @Vladamir Begemot in the functional awkwardness of it:
    When it shows me when items have been deposited from a lot, basement, or dungeon 'dump' it does help me quickly filter which things those were for withrdrawal/reorganization.

From a functional perspective, I don't see any need to know if I put it in my bank in one town or another, as all it does (as you've said) is make it so you have to take things out and put things in again, especially if you're using the bank from multiple locations (which I often am, doing deco projects sometimes simultaneously in 3 cities). Take out the whole box, do your thing, put it back, every time, every time, yes there's no need for it.

So, I guess for me its nice to see how some things got in there (ie, this was a dungeon I pulled up) but I think the location column should be functionally irrelevant to actual use of the bank. If I had to choose between losing the convenience of knowing where it came from, or not having to fight with the functional awkwardness, I'd be happy to give up the convenience of knowing where it came from, in a heartbeat.

Anpu and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  4. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Is there some reason to actually have that feature (showing multiple locations), seems it just causes me to accidentally bring chests into my inventory when I double click them. Supposedly it was to help organizing your inventory for those liking to organize by location, but not sure if that's valid, since you can also organize by custom chest names.

Anpu and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

It's legacy from when location based banking existed. I heard Chris say on a livestream that they left it in in case there is a use for it. @kaeshiva has stated the only use I've heard of it, but I think the negatives far outweigh the positives. It sounds like you don't do a ton of work from the bank, just enough to see the container frustration. Try stocking a vendor from it from two different towns and you'll really be hating the location column.

Tiina Onir and Anpu like this.
  6. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Good wishlist item. Doubt this would take much to work in one release if they nibble. Once I get done with my Community Guidelines update, soon after I'll start my feedback/wishlist item collection. Be nice to hear from someone who LIKES that location column though. I'd say you could just name chests by location if that's important.

Anpu likes this.
  7. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

The location is handy if you had a location default for missing taxes, you can locate all the items that were with that home. This would be precluded if we could have the VERY MUCH NEEDED QOL improvement where when your lot defaults for inactivity it goes to a magic movers slot instead of trashing all your hard work. I know 2 people who quit the game after they had a few lots go bust and couldn't face the loss of effort.

BUT - Overall I think it's probably still needless complexity to have a location next to the location and the only reason I like it is because of the failure for a lot to save when it's removed due to tax default.

Bedawyn, Lazarus Long, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  8. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Now that location banking is gone, I use the location sorting all the time.
    I go overweight in an instance, step out, find the closest bank, and bank it.
    Once I am done for the day, I recall to my home, hit up the bank and sort.
    I can then select loot from things that are just in the bank for storage.

Anpu, Elgarion and StarLord like this.
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Well then perhaps a way for location to not screw those of us who are trying to use the bank for more than sorting @Elgarion ?

Let us pull from stacks in other towns without it popping back into the bank?

I don't want the combat people to not get their way or have anything taken away because it would help us, I get that the real customers are now a 99% combat oriented game now, but it would be great if the rest of us could get thrown a bone without it hurting the target combat market.

Zero hope this will happen now that an adventurer uses the location column, oh well. Back to Civ.

10. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Just remove the restriction on containers by location, as per other items. Continue to put stuff by location for people that use it.

Add a stack all items on current screen button. So it does not stack stuff between containers. But stacks everything stackable to the current location.

Bit of extra work to click the button and wait, but not as onerous as the current implementation, while not changing the behaviour some people have used for organising their bank.

Regards
    Spung

11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah as I say, its useful to see when things have been dungeon-dumped or lot dumped, but those 'locations' don't need to affect anything functionally. I can't think of any reason to need that.

Tiina Onir and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  12. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

If you don't want to take away the location since a few people currently use it, how about adding a button on the bank interface to consolidate things, everything would be marked to whatever town you are in and stacks would be combined. I spend way too much time dragging stacks to combine in my bank. It discourages me from adventuring in different parts of the map.

13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

It would be nice if we could list from other towns as well. Unless they want me to hit "Consolidate" every time I go to a different town, so all my bank switches to that town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.