Issues with Obsidian Boars

Discussion in 'Feedback Archive' started by Anpu, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I was going through the public API and was noticing some odd things.

The first thing I noticed, there doesn't seem to even be that many Obsidian Boars even in the game. Even with the extremely low rate of finding them, they are not killed anywhere near in the numbers of the other 2 Obsidian Creatures:

Code:
    Creature           Killed    Carcasses    Drop
    Obsidian Boar    1714         363         21.18%
    Obsidian Wolf    3017        1475        48.89%
    Obsidian Bear    2678        1395        52.09%

This is from the last 30 days. just from Ulfheim alone. 965 were killed in Ravensmoor.

Additional even with the very small amount of them in the game, the drop rate for a carcass is extremely low, at 21% (in comparison to 52% Bear and 48% Wolf). Note this number is only based off of kills, we can't see number of skinning attempts.

Please note, this is NOT a 100% accurate drop rate. I can't see number of skinned Obsidian Boars vs Number of Carcasses found.

The last time I spoke to Atos, you did not have a number of skinned metric available to you to give an actual accurate drop rate of number of Obsidian Boar Carcass found / Number of skinned Obsidian Boars (I can only guess by number of kills). I don't know if you have that metric now available to you yet.

Suggestion:

Could you at least look at the drop rate of Obsidian Boar Carcasses? That just seems extremely low.

Could you possibly increase slightly, the number of Obsidian Boars (globally)? Or perhaps designate a specific scene and put a larger number of them there in that scene (a scene that would make sense in them being there)?

You could also alter the overland Boar encounter to spawn multiple waves of obsidian boars? I believe that scene barely gets used and would possibly make it more interesting to visit.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Dawgs of War likes this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What are the food buffs?

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i fight a lot in ulfheim. i don't fight the boars. if i want to get up to the wyvern spawn point near them, i stealth. they're annoying to fight, for melee.

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What on earth does that have to do with the OP, Alley ?

5. Alley Oop

boars are just as prevalent in that initial ulfheim area as bears and wolves, so if fewer are being killed there, it's because people are CHOOSING not to.

Aldo and Anpu like this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

The OP's point is that per numbers killed - the ratio of boars killed to carcasses - vs bears and wolves - appears to be much lower than the other 2.
    Nothing to do with whether you or anyone else avoids them. For those who do kill them I seriously doubt that they are avoiding skinning them....
    I recommend you re-read the OP.

7. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

what could i do with the carcass if i bothered to skin them?

Alley Oop likes this.
  8. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I do EXACTLY this. Only skin bears and wolves, as i only skin for XP and bears and wolves give skinning XP, butchery XP AND you can make headdresses that don't lose gold to the vendor. The last one does not exist for boars. I will only skin razorbacks, as I still haven't got a pristine head for them, once I have a few of them (if ever) I will not even skin them. So for producer XP im better off spending the time killing and skinning more bear/wolves than skinning the boars.

Regards
    Spung

Alley Oop likes this.
  9. Charon

Charon Avatar

Make Boar Surprise. Exact same stats as Bear Surprise.

Even without the data @Anpu posted it was pretty obvious that the drop rate for carcasses was quite a bit lower than wolves/bears and more in line with stags. Also, they are a pita for melee. Yes bears have a knock back attack as well but it seems like boars do it much more frequently and are generally just annoying.

Alley Oop and Numa like this.
  10. Alley Oop

also obsidian boar ribs, but i don't think either recipe was really announced. that at least some people think there's nothing to do with the meat could be having a significant effect on carcass drop rates.

GMDavros likes this.
  11. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

Ah. I had no idea these recipes exist. Don't think it will spur me on to hunt them given the prevalence of bears.

Fenris

Alley Oop likes this.
  12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Barugon and Numa like this.
  13. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I understand the OP point, but it is moot for me too. I avoid the boars, but when I do kill them I never skin them. As far as experience is concerned, killing and skinning bears and wolves keeps my experience advancement at max even when all boars are ignored. Boars have nothing to offer that I cannot get anywhere else. Am not in game right now, so cannot double check the following, but I remember that when I mounted a pristine razorback, was disappointed that it looks just like a regular boar on the wall.

Anpu and Numa like this.
  14. Alley Oop

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Aldo, Anpu and Numa like this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I always harvest for the producer experience and then I sell the carcass and head.

Aldo and Anpu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.