[Suggestion] Let us combine crafted gear

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scoffer, Feb 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

We all know the woes of crafting and with the trend of artifacts getting more and more powerful as new ones are added and combining them became a thing and crafted gear has become second rate. Essentially just something to equip until you can afford to buy / farm your own artifacts.

Allowing crafters to combine crafted gear would give players much more choice and would reduce the gap between "best in slot" artifacts vs crafted gear.

How it would work:
    Essentially there would be a linear progression added to crafting mastery skills. This should be set at 0.005 per level and this would become the mastery multiplier. Essentially it would mean that at level 100 Blacksmith Mastery you would get 0.5 (50%), at 120 mastery you would get 0.6 (60%), 140 would be 0.7 etc. I know these sound low but bear with me here....

Now, combining crafted gear. This would be specific to the type so no combining plate chest with cloth etc but what it would allow you to do would be to take 4 items, take the total stats for all those items and multiply them by your mastery. For example if you were 100 mastery level and you had 4 +10 Strength chest pieces the total would be 40 multiplied by your mastery (0.5) so the final combine would have +20 strength. If you combined the same items at level 120 you would end up with 24 strength etc etc.

This would apply across all stats and include durability.
    To look at a real work example of this, here is relatively good sword.
    [​IMG]

If I had 4 of these to combine the end results would look something like:
    [​IMG]
    That would assume you were using 4 identical items but it would also work with non-identical stuff.
    Taking 4 swords that had +19 str, +10 str, +13 str and +12 str would give you 27 strength at level 100 mastery.

Obviously this would take millions in materials because as well as trying to get the exceptionals, masterworks and enchants you would need to make 4 of them to end up with something like this.

What this would do overall:
    It would mean that your non-exceptional crafts are no longer junk - You can take your 4 non-exceptionals and combine them just for the durability
    Junk gear would have a purpose - ended up getting int instead of str on the enchants? Combine it with others that did get you ones you wanted and split the difference.
    Can't decide between bronze or meteoric for your armor? - do two of each and have some of both
    Lower level crafters can't compete? - sure they can. Just make 4 of everything and combine them to boost you items to the same power of the "top tier crafters"
    It would allow gear progression - Many players settle for what they can afford at the time but they can be working towards getting 3 more of the same items and then combine them for better gear.
    Why the linear progression for mastery? - You already have RNG for exceptional chance, masterworks and enchants. There doesn't need to be any more RNG in crafting. It would however mean there is a reason to continue leveling crafting rather than hitting the point where the curve of skill increase effectively caps your skill.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  2. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Like it, couple of things.

Presumably I can only combine 4 items not more.

Presumably there is some type of flag to stop me combining the combined crafts. Else this has no upper limit.

I think it could still do with something for using up low gear with rubbish stats. People would still min max this and only use best 4 items. Maybe it should be 6 crafted items and 2 of them it does not matter the stats. So they are just consumed like a fuel. Let's say it has to have minimum 2 MWs and 2 ENCs.

This would give an outlet for low level and reject gear to be bought for fuel. Gives you something to grind up crafting and MW and ENC that is still useful even if the stats are sub par.

Regards
    Spung

3. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I like it... @Chris

Short version ..Combine 4 pieces of gear with crap stats and durab. and get 1 piece with better stats and durability, the combined stat strength and durab is influenced by a mastery modifier . Possibilities for gear variety are endless .

Questions

@Scoffer

1. Say i combine 4 chests i get one better - i mw /enchant it but im still not happy with the results can i combine it again with other chest pieces and have a do over ? It would eventually lead to out of whack/uber gear ..so is there a limit to how many times you can combine same item ?

2. I have 4 swords to combine - 1 has thrust , 1 has rend dmg , 1 has coup , 1 has double slash ... the end result would be a sword with all 4 stats i previously mentioned ? Seems a bit op ?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  4. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

I like it, but what happens when you combine.. say - 4 cloaks with 35-40+ str. You end up with a cloak with 100+ str. I like the idea, really do - I can see the use of my castoffs. but within a hour of this coming into effect, I could put together a suit with +100 stats on back item/chests/legs/2h weapons, and +50 stats on gloves/helm/boots. And if I can do it with my scrap box, I am sure others can too. That kind of gear would be way to OP. There would have to be some limit to the "max effects score" prior to combining, or maybe add enough junk items to meet the "max effect score"

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Do artifacts get combined enchant/masterwork bonuses when you combine them?

6. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Not really as they would all be weak due to the mastery multiplier.

This is the bigger concern.

These are really about balancing the multiplier. Maybe level 200 should be 60% and 0 is 10. So you get .25 per level.

At mastery 100 you have 35% so in this example
    40*4*.35= 56
    Sure I have seen artifacts at this type of level.

Regards
    Spung

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  7. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I was initially thinking that it would work similar to artifacts with the base crafted item starting at common. So you could combine once to make the final product rare and 4 rares to make a legendary.

Technically you could but assuming that each sword would have say 23% in those skills it would take the totals and then apply the multiplier so for thrust your numbers would be 23, 0, 0, 0 resulting at +12.5% on the final product (assuming level 100)

Not for the enchants and masterworks applied to artifacts. Just the base stats go up when combined.

Exactly, the numbers I used was just to illustrate the point more than anything. Obviously these would have to be looked at in terms of balance to see what was possible, what seems OP etc.

8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

The idea has a lot of potential imo.
    No idea about the math details though ^^

9. Vero

Vero Avatar

Very interesting read! Let's hope Devs can brainstorm on this!

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Alright, then what is @Pifester so concerned about? Is there some way, that I don't know about, to make a cloak with +40 strength without enchanting or masterworking (not that +40 strength on a single item is even doable)?

11. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

And yes, its not easy - but I can make armor with 40+ in stats. Cloaks with +40 str, wings with +40 dex are some of the examples.

12. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

If artis were so powerful, id sell all my arti i have at 20-30k instead of elrond selling his stuff at millions. I dont know where you guys is getting that idea, but id rather have 120 in all crafting skill and get the best crafted gear. Not only they give way more stats than artis, but they also doesnt cost coto or artifact essence which cost 20x more than repairing with a kit. Not to mention the chance to enchant an artifact are very low due to the number of artifact you can get at lets say rare or legendary, which is probably only a few compared to the massive numbers of gear people can craft in a single day. Those arti also takes weeks and months to get to legendary, to maybe have a chance to fail it when chanting (which is very probably and i think that all crafter can agree due to the number of complaint about craft % chance).

Anyway, imo artifact should be stronger than that cause of all the negative point they also bring. If staying in same spot and crafting all day can get you the strongest items in game, im not sure whats the point of even playing a 3D where the adventure should be the journey, not how long you afk at a crafting table playing luck game.

13. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I mean, in terms of gear price vs artifact price, most of the price driving is from the enchants and masterworks. If I buy your artifacts at 20/30k, I still need 16 copies to make a legendary (320k/480k). If you make a legendary, the price can be driven up by a lot! Next you start enchanting/MWing it, and if you actually get the PERFECT enchants and masterworks on it, you could sell that artifact for far more than 1m/1.5m.

Also, many artifacts are insta sells and others just need a better price! Look at Xen Penetrator, you can't find any of those for sale, anywhere. You can barely find any rings of wisdoms, or sages sashes, and when you do find them, they have a crazy price (2m for a ROW, but trust me, if it was 1m it would already be sold! Once again, it is all about supply and demand, and Elronds Top crafted gear sells for 1m because all the randomness is already over, compared to the artifacts many of you sell overpriced.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  14. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

So in first sentence you say exactly what im saying, you need 16 items of the same kind (which is super hard to get), to combine it and MAYBE make an exceptional out of it, then you need the PERFECT enchant and masterwork cause you know what, if it turn to crap, you wont sell it no matter the price. And if all this come in line, which is about 0.01% chance, then you can make millions.

wow thats great, lets farm those 16 arti for months and maybe make millions.

Now lets take crafting, i got 4-5 alt mining/staying at same spot all day to collect ore (thats alot of button pressing compared to fighting boss all day for a month..big sarcasm here), then you pass those to your many alt to refine, make gear, enchant/mw, all that in the same area of your crafting stations, and get MANY items with average to good and even perfect stats, which all can sell for golds, 1-50k for average, 75-500k for good, 1m+ for perfect. And guess what, that took a whole 2 day, 1 day collecting mats, 1 day crafting. AND NOT ONLY THAT! with the gold made, you can buy mats from people, then craft gear, and get even more rich! And dont tell me you wont make money by buyings mats at outrageous price, since the price of items sold are even more outrageous, thats why everyone buy tons of mats! To not go out and collect them by themself, and just stay at a crafting station getting rich by nothing.

So yeah my point stand, thanks.

Btw when artifact got introduced, we had over 600 players all the time, 300+ from steam only, as soon as artifact price went down, we lost half player base. Dont believe me? Easy to find out, look at date of steam chart drop, look at what happened in updates in the game.

No one want to play a 40gb game to stay in same spot all day, yeah some does, maybe they are tired irl or old or i dont know, but people that play game to be active and do something want this kind of treasure, we want treasure maps, we want more good loots, but what can we put in loots if everything is against crafting?

- No good equippable items
    - Treasure maps will always turn around decos or crap gear since crafting supose to always be stronger
    - Monster will continue to drop rust items and crafting gems

So you, the adventurer that fight constantly and get max level in game to be able to support a whole group and fight boss and help people around, well, you cant play that way. You better start decorating and get those crafting skill if you want to have a fun!

edit: oh and dont get me wrong, i dont want economy to be good or crafting to suck, i could care less about this feature in a game, i just want to have fun in the way i always played any games. Viewing epic stuff, fighting and show my player skillz, find treasure no one heard of. That kind of thing, treasure hunting is a big part of rpg game as much as crafting, both should be equal.

15. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

2 days you say ? :)

What can you gather in 1 day with 5 accounts and dish out all that gear youre mentioning in another 1 day ? Id love to see some numbers ....

16. Pifester

Pifester Bug Hunter

Would LOVE to only spend 1 day gathering mats to spend 1 day crafting. Its more like 1-2 weeks, for 2-3 hours (if that)

Anpu and Elrond like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.