My experience with the game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chemeck, Mar 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chemeck

Chemeck Avatar

@SmokerKGB I know why they had bad experience, I'm just saying its related to 'why the game cant get more players'. Look at minimum req. for Black Desert Online:

Minimum System Requirements To Play Black Desert Online:
    • Processor: Intel Core i3-530 2.9 GHz.
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM.
    • Graphics: GTS 250, GeForce 9800 GTX, Radeon HD 3870 X2.
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection.
    • Storage: 27 GB available space.
    • Screen Resolution: 1280x720.
    I think BDO looks pretty good and works smooth, when my buddy with GTX 1060 is heating his graphic card with 100% usage when set video settings to max in SotA. So its not only RAM. Competition is not that demanding in terms of system requirements. You guys try to explain to me WHY the game runs bad but i already know that :) Its more about why players are not staying for longer.

ESO Req:
    • CPU: IntelĀ® Core i3 540 or AMD A6-3620.
    • RAM: 3 GB.
    • VIDEO CARD: DirectX 11 compliant video card with 1 GB of RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 460 / AMD Radeon 6850) or higher.
    • SOUND CARD: DirectX compatible sound card.
    • FREE DISK SPACE: 85 GB.
    WOW Req:
    • CPU: Intel Core i5-760 or AMD FX-8100 or later.
    • RAM: 4 GB RAM (8GB for integrated graphics such as Intel HD Graphics)
    • VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 2GB or AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB or Intel HD Graphics 530 (45W)

Those works good enough on minimum requriements, you just have to set some options to lower values. SotA doesnt give you that space, you just have to own pretty strong machine to be able to play. Not every player have it, well, most of them dont.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Hornpipe likes this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The entire reason this game has a rather large minimum requirements, is due to the gigantic amount of Dynamic Objects in the game.

ESO, WoW, Guild Wars etc, have no where near the amount of Dynamic Objects in comparison to this game. These are all the objects in the game you can interact with (move, lock or unlocked, place down or remove, open or close etc...). Ultima Online is the other game which also has a massive amount of Dynamic Objects.

Also, most other Unity games do not have the massive amount of Dynamic Objects as this game does.

The only other game that is fully 3D and also has a lot of Dynamic Objects is Neverwinter Nights 2.

jschoice and Numa like this.
  3. Numa

Numa Avatar

From what I know about houses in ESO, stepping into one is like stepping into a basement in SOTA. It's a completely different space from the POT or NPC town.

Potentially, we can have mobs running amuck in our towns or in our homes as part of some community event. I can even stand on a street outside and shoot a mob inside through the window.

There was an actual old exploit where players could steal the contents of a box inside the home through an open door or window

Let's not even talk about the mini-fortresses one can build with stone blocks and how complicated rendering all that is.

The price we pay is in memory and hardware specs. As long as we have this many dynamic objects all in one place that price is going to be high.

4. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

I recently replace my hardware, the improvememt was huge.

Old machine:

Fx 8120 CPU
    16gb ram DDR3 1666mhz
    Ssd 500m/s
    GTX 1070
    Fps in zombie Room = 10 frames per Second, with some stuttering

New setup with CPU i5 9600k, 32gb ddr4, same gpu and a ssd nvmey fps in the zombie Room is 45 to 50.

You need high end hardware to play this game, the consequence is the this low player base

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Chemeck and Numa like this.
  5. Chemeck

Chemeck Avatar

Yeah, you guys are right and I cant argue :) I'm aware that player housing is one of the main reasons of poor performance, It's clearly visible when game lags loading all that stuff. I shared my worries that Dev Team may have problems with rising playerbase if It's this way. And THIS WAY is what makes the game so unique. Its not simple matter, I know that! :p I would never ever suggest changing the housing/pot system we got now, since it's just awsome how it is. But again, You post technical explanations about dynamic objects comparing the ammount of those to other mmo games i listed, and im just putting myself in casual player's shoes, when i dont care much about dynamic objects and technical reasons why the game runs bad, I just want to play it. I dont know much about unity and how the game is made, I just look for an MMO to play and want good, smooth experience. Comparing to competition, SotA got the smallest chance of giving you that. That is why Im just thinking out loud if there is maybe a team that managed to optimize something similiar on unity, since i heard that you can't really count on unity's support. We could say the game became the prisoner of It's own concept right now. It got requirmenets of current generation AAA game, and usually MMO games are made the way that lets as many players as possible play it. SotA doesnt give you that computer spec range, you just need not even 16gb, but 32gb ddr 4 like Joe above to enjoy some locations. Im affraid if It's not changing anytime soon, we wont observe any major rises in playerbase. Well, not that I have problem with that since I play solo a lot and already found few friends to play with, just addressing the problem Chris mentioned in his 2020 vision topic and sharing my own thoughts about it.

Oh right! Cames out two of those guys I talked into playing the game (i mentioned in my 1st post) still plays it, so my marketing wasnt total fail! :p

vulcanjedi and Numa like this.
  6. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

Housing is fully instanced in ESO as you say, and more limited in many ways. You can't add a basement to a house that doesn't have one, for example, or attach your own private dungeon.

On the other hand, you get numerous single-room accommodations in taverns as you play for free. You can teleport between any of these and any purchased home you have at whim for no cost without invoking a cooldown, adding another fast travel system to the game, something some may value more.

Anpu and Numa like this.
  7. Numa

Numa Avatar

The inn system in SOTA is another system that need to be fleshed out so that guests can self-register and obtain the ability to lock their room doors without needing somebody else to set it up.

I envy the ability to teleport at will between homes though. That's one limitation here that Catnip needs to look at.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  8. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

You hit the nail on the head. There are not many games out there that have to deal with so many dynamic items. UO had it and many survival games that allow base building or Atlas and Ark.

Anpu likes this.
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Chris just tweeted that their new occlusion tech boosted Ardoris by 20 FPS for him!

10. Numa

Numa Avatar

Ardoris is one of the worst lagfest spots in Novia being a dense NPC town with a lot of player homes. So +20fps is huge!

Chemeck and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  11. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

This maybe true, but "why" do you think we need more players to begin with? If it's just to keep in trend with other games, then I would suggest you think about how much more network lag there will be if we increase the player base 1000x more than what we have now... An additional 1000 players will bring in an additional $9,000.00/mo, will that be enough for the additional hardware needed to support that kind of Load? I have no idea... How many of those new players will stay for the long haul? We actually have a nice niche community, this game is appealing to old Ultima players, IMO...

The point I was trying to make IS: if your going to play online games, then it's better to have Fast hardware on your side of the table, before you start to complain about "performance"... I'm surely not saying you need "top" of the line to play Sota, 10 year old equipment will do, but average equipment may not give you the Best experience... I really see no point in showing the Developers other game min spec's and saying, well they do it this way, why didn't you? At this point, I don't think they're going to start over with another, more expensive game engine...

You mentioned WoW, owned by Sony corp. they have millions in revenue, before the game and now from subscriptions, so they're a heavy hitter... BDO, never seen it, post a link please... ESO, I wasn't impressed by Elder Scrolls, so I didn't bother with the online version and I'm very sure if you have min spec's those games recommend, your experience won't be great either... As I said earlier, Minimum is the leased that will let you play... The better you're hardware is: the better your experience will be...

Aeryk likes this.
  12. Aeryk

Aeryk Avatar

BDO is pretty amazing on a number of fronts, though i do not play much anymore. Tons of depth that many players never see. They have a combination of incredibly fluid action combat and skills (albeit class based unfortunately) that arguably is in a class by itself. It is also a game that has both spent and brought in the equivalent of many multiple hundreds of millions of US dollars. There are lessons to be learned that might apply to SotA, but in no way comparable in terms of performance, systems, or content. It is (was?) one of the best AAA games in the genre out there. The Western audience likely does not know as much about it as it has gambling mechanics that many non-Eastern folk find distasteful.

Chemeck likes this.
  13. Chemeck

Chemeck Avatar

Hey, I tested dozens of MMOs, those i mentioned before also, and thats the same genre, thats why I compare them... And if you're going to play MMO games, SOTA is most demanding right now, I may be wrong but I think I'm not :D That is going to be main problem with gaining players and that is the point I was trying to make. Dont ask me why we need them, It wasnt me mentioning marketing results in 2020 vision topic :) People trying to explain why the game's not working as it should, and all of that was more about why marketing the game gives lower results than expected :) Not expected by me, i probably will have to say it few times more :p! Im fine with the game how it is, It would be cool to have enough people to actually fill all those empty towns, but im having great fun anyway. Not sure how steam players are compared to the whole, but if you check the stats you can clearly see there were bigger numbers some time ago, like 400-600 peak players then compared to 100-200 now. I wasnt around then, but i guess the game survived :)

Aeryk likes this.
  14. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

Chemek this game was doomed a long time ago. They boasted selling hundreds of thousands accounts before the game released, but we all quit because the game was doomed. They fired everyone except the people dooming the game.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

When was the last time you played (or did you just step in to sling some crap)?

16. HarryQC

HarryQC Avatar

doomed how? a few days ago just in starting area...i counted around 12ppl just at solace bridge outskirts camp.....many players in-game scattered everywhere online and offline

17. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

100000/12 = 8,333, so we need 8,333 zones, lets just clone these two a bunch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.