1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

[Crafting System] Revamp (move away from strict RNG)

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Rowell, Mar 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

(posted on the suggestion of @Elgarion)

Looking at the craft system overall, it really needs to move away from RNG and more towards a skill based system.

My suggestion is that your skill level in a crafting skill gives you a certain number of points (Craft Points, or CP) to create an item. Each item has a set number of points needed to create (ie, a Dagger takes 25 points to craft, a Halberd takes 95) and a durability based on the components you're using to make the item (higher quality components means you start with a higher durability).

You use your crafting points with sub-skills that move the crafting process along to completion (from 0% to 100%). Some of those sub-skills move the item to completion. Some sub-skills increase the durability. Some sub-skills imbue the item with certain properties (based on the materials/components). Here is where you could also include Mastercrafting/Enchanting, which give additional skill buttons to use crafting points to take additional materials (ie, silver ingots, gold ingots, gems, jewels) to add effects to the item. You MUST complete the item though (spend the 25 points to make that Dagger, or the 95 to make that Halberd).

Each sub-skill has a chance to fail, which means the points are spent, but the progress isn't made/the durability isn't added/enchantment or masterwork didn't take. This way, crafting is still a skill based system with limitations, but less of an RNG-fest, and more of a sense of accomplishment. Raising your level in a skill unlocks more crafting sub-skills. For example, when first starting out in Blacksmithing, you have only two sub-skills that increases Completion. At Blacksmithing Level 5, you gain a new sub-skill, which increases Durability. At Blacksmithing Level 8, you gain a sub-skill to do an Enchant. And so on as you level your crafting skill. (of course, all these levels and numbers are made up for example sake).

I would also like to see the quality of the components come into play more. Why do we make Exceptional Maple Boards, and Exceptional Copper Bindings, and Exceptional Supple Leather if those exceptional qualities do not translate into the manufacture of an end product? Perhaps making a piece of armor using exceptional materials by default increases the base durability of an item, or enhances the bonuses inherent in the component.

Below is a quick sample UI.

[​IMG]

(if the image does not show, right-click it and select "Open Image in New Tab")

The Completion progress bar fills from left to right (from start to completion).
    The Durability progress bar fills from the bottom to top (starts somewhere in the middle, based on the default durability of the item and the quality of the components used).
    The Craft Points progress bar starts completely filled with the number of Craft Points (CP) the player has in that crafting skill, and empties as the player uses the sub-skills to craft the item.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  2. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

That would just create even more waste , then we already have, by making any component non exceptional no longer useful ....

Anpu likes this.
  3. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

1.If you limit how many items you can craft based on your skill lvl , will just force players to make tens of crafting accounts just so they can bypass the limitation.
    2.What do you do with all the resources ingame .... people use currently tens of thousands of silver/gold/other ingots monthly.... if you limit item production you limit resources need it ....we do away with all that leave mines empty ?

Anpu likes this.
  4. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

You could have a means to improve the quality of components. Take a Low Quality Iron ingot, infuse it with more iron or an alchemical elixir, to create a High Quality Iron Ingot.

Cordelayne and Boris Mondragon like this.
  5. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

My vote is on this

tiered ingots

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  6. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Let me further go into the Crafting Points.

Your skill level determines the number of Crafting Points you have to create a weapon with. So, for example, someone with Level 10 Blacksmithing gets 40CP every time they craft an item. With those CP, they use the skills to create the item. So, if I want to make a dagger (it takes 25CP to complete a dagger) with my level 10 Black smithing (40CP)...that means I will invest 25CP to complete the dagger, leaving 15CP to try to increase the Durability, or add some masterworking or enchantment. When I get to Level 20 Blacksmithing, I now get 60CP every time I craft an item. So, I can try to make items that require more CP, or use the extra CP to make a better dagger.

As for the resources...those can still be used. They can be used as resources to add Mastercraft-like or Enchantment-like effects to the item. But, you would CHOOSE the effect by using a sub skill. So, say you want to add +2.8 STR to the dagger you are making....the skill requires 3 Silver Ingots and 2 Corpse Wax (for example)...If you wanted +2.8 DEX, that would be 3 Silver Ingots and 2 Black Pearls, and so on and so forth.

7. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

I like this idea for the current crafting system, as long as players have the chance to make different tiers inherently. By this, I mean, when you create an ingot, most of the time, you create the lowest tier...but there are chances to create higher tiers (because the quality of the raw materials you used for that particular item was higher than normal). kinda like how you randomly create an Exceptional Ingot. But, keep in mind, adding more steps to make a Tier 1 Ingot into a Tier 4 in the current crafting system is just adding more monotony that people are complaining about.

With the above crafting system I laid out, you would have the quality of the component covered. Say it takes 20CP to make an Iron Ingot. I'm a Level 80 Blacksmith that gets 120CP per item I create. That means I use 20CP to complete the Iron Ingot, and 100CP to raise the Quality (replaces Durability) of the ingot. ;)

8. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

The system you propose is definetly interesting... but... its just Chris out there... stopped hoping on good things happening for crafting .

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  9. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Thanks. My thinking is, by putting a proposal out there, and perhaps the community of crafters crowd-sourcing it to determine the numbers and the skills and all that...maybe we could help make a better crafting system become closer to a reality.

And, I just had a thought... The skills used to craft an item, why not make it similar to the combat skill bar...where you can put in the skills you want to use to make the item. And if you leave a slot open, a random skill appears in there (just like in combat) for that particular step and changes on the next step. Bonus for using a random skill like that would be more of an umpf to the skill's description (say +3% instead of +2%, for example).

10. Numa

Numa Avatar

Just realized that this proposal makes the crafting system work more like the adventure system cp-usewise which is a very good thing in my book.

Two thumbs up :):):)

11. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

I threw together a quick Crafting UI in Unity, to better show some of my ideas. Please forgive the lack of polish.

[​IMG]
    (if the image does not show, right-click it and select "Open Image in New Tab")

The "Tools", "Fuels" and "Components" sections are automatically populated with the proper components when you select a recipe. The progress bars (Completion, Durability and Crafting Points) also are set. And the Attributes are listed in the top right, so you can see what you're making based on the Components and Additives.

The "Additives" section is optional. This is where you would put additional components which make available other sub-skills that rely on other components. So, instead of Mastercrafting separately, you add the Silver Ingots into the Additives section. That makes the Mastercraft skills available. You use the Mastercraft skill button, it consumes the Silver Ingots, and that skill is no longer available. Of course, if you plopped in more silver ingots in the beginning, you could use that mastercraft skill more too.

12. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

*bump*

Cordelayne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.