1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Make Sheet Music Copyable

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Wilfred, Mar 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Please make it so sheet music can be copied on the printing press the same way that books are copied.
    This would make it much easier to distribute music.

Manerd and that_shawn_guy like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

No please do not do this. Sheet music is set to not copy for a reason. If just anyone could copy your sheet music then eventually why have a song vender. Some who took a lot of time and energy adding abc files to the game to share in the game and to use as revenue will matter less. Of course when making our own files to sheet music it takes time but I would rather take that time than make them copy-able. So again please do not do this.

FrostII, Xiones, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  3. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

Seems selfish unless you own the music.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I give away tons of music and if someone wants to they can make the music as well. Just get abc files. I always give music to players I meet. I consider music in the game to be one of our best assets. Is that a reason to make music vendors not viable?

FrostII likes this.
  5. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Not for the copying of music.

FrostII likes this.
  6. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

This is in place to protect the music transcribers and their work. The only folks that should be able to copy music is the writers.

FrostII and Manerd like this.
  7. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Everyone, please consider not profits, but what would make the game better.
    I think making sheet music copyable would make the music system more open and useful for most players.

8. Cyin

Cyin Avatar

If you have never converted music to the ABC file system, you might not realize how much time and energy some of these artist put into their conversions. Allowing anyone to copy the work they put into their sheet music would not be fair to them. My friend spent weeks converting several full albums into game sheet music and he charged very low prices especially considering how much of his free time he spent on this project. We allow crafters to sell their crafted items, why should crafted music be any different?

FrostII, Skye Azure, Sarek and 7 others like this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well do you have abc files and I'm not just talking about profit because I don't care to make much on music? That is not what is important to me as well even if it is a plus of course. As mentioned syncing music in this game is such a fantastic experience and that is what I care about. Instead of breaking a system realize that the sheet music comes from our own computers also and that carries over to others if they were to copy our sheet musics that come from the files on our computers as well. I personally obtained these files and added them to MY computer then shared them with the game. Some who have taught themselves maestro have tweaked and personalized the songs individually to sound the best they can. Copying these sheet music has other things involved and you say we are just selfish well come to Wizards Rest and I will personally give you a copy of any songs you like. I really do give songs out all the time but to me I do believe you are mistaken in asking for this to change. So instead of persisting please consider what you ask. As always if I'm wrong enlighten me and please don't say its about selfishness. That is not who I am if you knew me then you would already know this.

FrostII and Manerd like this.
  10. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

Do you have any music to transcribe that you created yourself? If not you are transcribing someone else work.

Can you sell music transcriptions?
    Without written permission form ALL of the publishing rights holders (there can be multiple publishing rights for single titles), and without a valid license agreement, the only way to legally sell transcribed sheet music is to make sure the original compositions you are transcribing are in the public domain.

What is Public Domain?
    The public domain consists of all the creative work to which no exclusive intellectual property rights apply. Those rights may have expired, been forfeited, expressly waived, or may be inapplicable.

Just Sayin' ;)

11. Toular

Toular Avatar

Disclaimer ... I'm not an attorney or any sort of lawyer.

An abc file loaded into the game could be considered a "arraignment" under fair use law. An arraignment is as much copyrightable as the original work, so if the person that made the abc file doesn't want to just give it away, they have that right.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    FrostII and Xiones like this.
  12. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

There are a few songs that I have created online and sold. It would be a game breaker for me, if someone could take the music I have created to used it on the printing press and made copies, and sold them on their Vendor.

So hell to the no.

FrostII and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  13. Numa

Numa Avatar

Have to agree with this. There is no player made item in the game that is clonable. Even books need to have their text formatted then printed one by one.

There are tutorials for making ABC files. And there are even publicly available ones on the Net. Tools for music format conversion too. I think @majoria70 has a few links?

Anyone can do it. I did and I have zero talent for music :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    FrostII, Alleine Dragonfyre and Cyin like this.
  14. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

This. It takes actual talent and know-how to make music in SoTA. The ability for just anyone to copy that work would really be terrible. The best thing to do would be to visit your local music shop and ask them to make music and copies for you...and pay them to do so. That was the intended mechanic.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    FrostII and Numa like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Avatar

Maybe allow copying if you are the maker?

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  16. Toular

Toular Avatar

The maker can already do that. If they still have the abc file.

Alleine Dragonfyre and FrostII like this.
  17. Jack SinAssist

Jack SinAssist Avatar

yes. allow the copying of sheet music.

18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You want players to copy your own abc files stored on your computer? They can get their own files.

19. Nick

Nick Avatar

True. But It’s faster to copy like books, 1 music sheet and copy using 10 blank music sheets vs writing music sheets using abc files one at a time.
    My opinion is allow copying only if you own the makers mark.

Numa and Alley Oop like this.
  20. Numa

Numa Avatar

I'm ok with this. Plus it's free advertisement for the maker if I buy/get multiple copies of the sheet music then gift them (assuming the maker's mark is visible)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.