1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Are you having trouble patching your SotA client [not Steam]?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Ravalox, Mar 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

The Shroud of the Avatar uses the BitTorrent internet protocol to distribute the game patches. It has been brought to our attention that at least one ISP may be blocking torrent downloads.

Through testing we have confirmed that the patch server URL is being blocked even when surfed to via a web browser (so this is not a Launcher/patch client issue).

If you are having issues downloading patches through the (non steam) client, please try to click this link to list the torrent seed list in your browser. If you cannot display this list of files, then something is blocking you from reaching our server. http://patchserver.shroudoftheavatar.com/sotalive/torrents/

Should look like this:
    [​IMG]

So if you are having issues, please reply to this post with your Internet Service Provider (ISP) name and your nearest big city.

IE: Joe's Internet Service, Midland Alaska.

NOTE: Ignore the names and dates of the files listed in the patch directory above and/or when you surf to it. The point of the test is just to see if you get a "cannot display" error or the file listing.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  2. Murphy

Murphy Avatar

Hi everyone,
    So I was having trouble with this. I ended up talking to ComCast tier 2 tec support and they unblocked me. With any luck It fixed it for you too if your on ComCast but if not be prepared to wade thru a million questions and a modem reset with the tier 1 folks before you even get to talk to the people that can help. I don't know if this blocking is by account or if it happens by some automated system I just know I can patch again and this is good. If you have this problem and cant or wont deal with the the tec support consider using STEAM. Their system patches differently and will still work or at least did for me so I could still play whilst I fought with my ISP. Good Luck

FrostII likes this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's a good thing that "net neutrality" was squashed in the U.S. :mad:

Bedawyn likes this.
  4. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

Interesting. When I click that link I see some files dated 3/28 (e.g. StandaloneWindows_1143_1144.torrent). That particular file is not on my PC. All my files are dated 3/26 and the last one I have is (StandaloneWindows_1142_1143). Does that mean my client is not downloading a new patch?

I ask because I am waiting for a new patch to fix my POT that is broken. :)

5. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Avatar

Well I tried for the umpteenth time with no success with Comcast Xfinity
    At least I know no I am not alone and that my hunch was right, that the Comcast tech support was person was pretty limited in ability to help after checking to see if I had parental controls on and a block of the game.
    Game over for her as far as she was concerned. She at least admitted she did not know what else to do, and began pleading for a satisfied score on the follow-up phone call! I asked her how can I do that if I am still having a problem?

Thank you Murphy, Ravalox for your help and you Barugon for your humor all three have been helpful, but still struggling here.
    I understand a bit more and am currently waiting for the obligatory modem reset to complete before I start the long call back and wait, then beg for higher better qualified support routine.
    Well just got off the phone with another tech guy, after going thru the entire process again.

He had asked me to ask you for the Ports needed to open/run the game.I gave him these to add from the game help page: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z-svq1OvcZwViqGxFCKdjH3NCn2LTfLuGny5qaAqjTM/pubhe had me add each one but I still cannot get the Launcher to Update the game? Now I lost contact again with Comcast. FRAK!
    Are there other Ports that need to be opened? Are these the correct ones? Any other ideas?

Launcher: TCP 5074 UDP 3544 UDP 6881
    Game Service: UDP 5054 UDP 5055 UDP 5056 UDP 5057 UDP 5058 UDP 5059

After waiting for weeks to be able to select a location to transfer my Municipality to the Mistrendur Islands, this issue could not have come at a worst time!
    I was not able to scout out new spots after my 1st 3 were taking and have had to take a total stab in the dark on the map that Elgarion has been working on so diligently.
    I am still waiting to see if any of the second batch of spots has been approved!

To this day my POT is not even on the SOTA MAP and I have to tell everyone how to get to it or friend them and let them teleport in. I was hoping to end all that after what 2-3 years of waiting for a MAP fix!
    I do not think anyone in development knows or understands how frustrating this problem has been for us that do not have a proper display of our towns on the SOTA map. We spent thousands and have gotten crickets for long. This is where my frustration comes from. Sorry I digress needed to vent a bit!

6. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

@Ravalox can you verify which patch level we are supposed to be on? I can see the patch in the torrent for 1144, but still on 1143. I usually manually download them because I also have Comcast and have had issues (near Denver, CO here).

7. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

If you manually download them, how do you get it to patch? Just curious.

8. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Put the downloaded files: (torrent and patch files) into your DOWNLOADS folder for SOTA.
    On windows it is usually:
    "C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Downlaods"
    OR
    "C:\Program Files(86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Downlaods"

Depending on where you installed Shroud.
    Once the files are there then just run the Launcher (SOTA) and the files will patch.

ldykllr likes this.
  9. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

@Sea Bear have your checked your antivirus program?
    Sometimes they will block ports and / or files to "protect you"
    I know Bitdefender does this and it must be marked 'safe' to be able to work.

10. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

we are supposed to be on 1143. what happens is they make a patch, upload it to the server, test it, and then either mark it live or make another patch. the launcher will not download an available patch until it's marked live. you can download it manually ahead of time as lesni described if you wish, but the launcher will not install them until they are marked live. ...that still saves you some time on installing large patches, though.

this is also why sometimes you install a patch only to see the next number install immediately after: there were multiple numbers marked live at once.

ldykllr, Anpu and Parson Barr like this.
  11. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

@Alley Oop Ok. That must be why I didn't get an install when I copied the files over. They aren't marked for live yet.

Just itching to get my POT fixed so I can start playing with it. The fix is waiting for this patch.

Alley Oop likes this.
  12. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Was there a patch yesterday?

13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

no

14. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

On twitter he said he was having issues around 3 PM ET yesterday. I can only assume they continued. Atos' water heater broke so he has that going on as well.

15. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

well i clicked that link above and got nothing. I think its rather redundant to have to call my ISP service to unblock something that has worked for years. I will play from steam but not happy about it.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I don't play on steam and I'm having no problems.

17. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

Once you download the patch from Steam you can close Steam and then launch SOTA directly from the .exe file. That way the only time you would need to run Steam is if you need to patch, not to play.

Alley Oop likes this.
  18. Toular

Toular Avatar

I'm on Comcast and did't had any problem patching on Friday. That tends to imply that this problem is not part of a Comcast "policy" decision to block ports and is something more regional.

19. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Yeah that is what i am doing now. It works. Its one of those nagging things where if it doesnt work you wanna find out why. LOL. I can play is all that matters now

Grimbone likes this.
  20. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

They seem to have had some not pushed to game clients patches the last few days. Yesterday they were are 1144 but my game was happily at 1142 or 1143 - with 0-1142, 0-1143, 0-1144 full game uploads. Now it's up to 0-1148, with subpatches 1144-1145, 1145-1148 and the game is updating to 1148. Game only on windows for me but the seedbox shows a bit of the behind the scenes extra steps.

[​IMG]

V/R Brickbat

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.