Honestly, I'd rather we miss a release day than whatever this was

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by that_shawn_guy, Mar 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Alright, so in the last release, from anyone else than those I mentioned, I counted :
    17 Posts by WizardSmoke
    1 Post by EladNomad

Also, I counted bug reports from QA, 35 out of 85 were not replied to by anyone, be it Ravalox, WizardSmoke or anyone else, that is 41% of bug reports going unacknowledged or simply "feel" like they are pointless (why have a system of replying and marked as submitted/fixed/known if you don't use is, so I will say that it is 41% that were not even looked at).

Then those from Live, I had 85 answered threads out of 411! That is 80% that were unanswered!!!

Now when I look at release notes, because why not!

Release 76 :
    New content :
    Giant Bunny Companion
    Ladybug Backpack
    Bunny Slippers
    Tulips Flower Arrangement
    Pink Dye (Breast Cancer Awareness Charity Item)
    Dyable Lepus Mask
    Gothic Candelabra
    Gothic Furniture Mega Set
    Gothic Furniture Dining Set
    Gothic Furniture Bedroom Set
    Gothic King Sized Bed with Black Leather
    Dyable Heraldry Gustball Uniforms (weren't these supposed to be in last release?)
    Interactive Fancy Toilet Paper Holder

Everything else is either "Patched in during R75", Re-used content, or QA content! I mean when half your release notes are about QA content, there is an issue! Few POTs were moved to misrendur, They added already existing roaming encounters to Misrendur, did a few price adjustments to the crown store, and THAT IS IT!

So tell me, all these other developers that are "working" that I just "missed", what did they actually do?

Yes I am upset, and rightfully so! Look at what was promised Q1 of 2020, color coded to help you see what went well and what didn't :
    Halls of Balance - No news about that!
    Bard skill tree - Still in QA, the majority seem upset about how it works, and plenty of stuff was still broken just this week.
    Major combat balance pass - Apart from making AoEs last for about the time I can sneeze, making undeads more tanky, and making reagent costs for mages go through the roof, did not see much here!
    Prospectors Canyon - Is this the dungeon Sannio is working on? Guess they changed the name? But Sannio is working on a dungeon, not a mine?
    Custom NPC Convos - Alright, this has happened, in January, like mentioned, but I did not see much updates go into this!
    Major loot and reward overhaul - Ohh hell yeah, I mean I am almost done my 57th set of forks and spoons!
    Tiered subscription options - I mean, it feels like theres as much progress on this since when the rewards program officially launched!
    Maps - Umm, they actually disappeared!
    New creatures - Can we count nightmares? Can't remember if they were in before or after the holidays...
    Party Size - Plan is 24, QA has 12 right now, at least it is progress!
    Verbose mode options for combat - Honestly no clue what this is, but I did not see anyone talk about it yet, so Pretty sure it isn't here yet!
    Attenuation - Attenuation at 5m right now, so yeah, this happened! This is one that is fun, groups take a break and allow me to deco so I am happy!
    Build System - I think I don't need to say more that what Chris answered here earlier, the plan was a more robust one, and they went the worse path possible for this release.

Q1 is usually from 1st of January to the 31st of March, so I guess they still have 4 days to be anywhere near their goals! Can you understand that I might think that this is a 3 man project with 2 secretaries (Sorry Ravalox and Elgarion, your work is great)

So no, I don't think Developer tracker helped me have more faith, in fact it just went to prove my point, If Chris isn't touching it, it ain't happening, except for world building.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  2. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

This. Exactly this.
    Finish the implementation, release when finished. Or at least when its all implemented, I understand stuff is never finished. But at least not half done stuff into production..

3. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

So many complaints about Unity. Who decided to develop on the Unity platform?

arcdevil and Cordelayne like this.
  4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I'm playing Oxygen Not Included right now. It calculates heat transfer on tens of thousands of tiles and piles of stuff, gas movement, liquid movement, ventillation and plumbing, and then heat looped back on all of those, beauty, pathing, scheduling, prioritization of 60+ tasks x 40+ dupes + animal AI, growth of plants and animals based on heat/gas/liquid present, automated delivery of goods, automated sensors, automation of liquid and plumbing (thousands of gas/liquid items on those two layers all moving at once) while being able to break paths of those and have the liquid/gas starting flowing in other directions. Oh and power production with circuits and overloading and heat created by all the above. Plus extensive modding support.

It runs fine with Unity, even with a whole ton of mods thrown on top that could easily break a game that isn't carefully made.

There are also a number of gorgeous 3D Unity games that run just fine.

My pro tip of the year: Instead of blaming Unity for problems, STOP MAKING NEW SYSTEMS until you have fixed those problems, optimized the game, and eliminated 99.9% of crashes.

Bonus pro tip: STOP MAKING NEW SYSTEMS until the old ones are fun and beautiful, that includes a post 1990's UI. Get with the 2020's, stop blaming others, fix what should have been fixed in 2018.

5. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

I play a few games with the Unity engine that run perfectly fine with Unity updates. Not sure blaming Unity is productive.

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I’m not aware of any Unity engine game that is entirely Dynamic Object based? Just this one as far as I know.

Grimbone likes this.
  7. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I know several MMO type games using Unity that must have dynamic objects. The Forest, Crowfall (soon to release), Rust, 7 Days to Die, Albion Online.

Rada Torment, arcdevil, Feeyo and 3 others like this.
  8. George3

George3 Avatar

I actually agree with Vlad on this one....... Things just aren't that fun.

Mega Bonus Suggestion : Play the game you are building on a regular basis. You can't just be firing from the hip, in the dark, with your eyes closed.

arcdevil, Evadrepus, Astirian and 2 others like this.
  9. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

I'm not actively playing anymore. But I did get a POT for EPS2 a while back so I logged in to see if it was in game. It wasn't but there was a "Stag" spawn where I was at on Mistrendur so for old times sake, I hit just to fire my bow off.

Killed the stags and Obsidian stags and saw a couple of trees for chopping. So I went up to the tree and you can actually see, befog you harvest the tree, the separation of the tree where it splits after you chop it down. And I thought to myself, this is the summation of this game. A collection of incomplete systems that simply present themselves as shoddy work.

Doing more and more "incomplete" systems is NOT the fix either. Stop digging yourselves into a hole Portnip. Stop what you are doing and go back and fix ONE thing. And when that is fixed, fix the next thing... and so on. You seriously have to see that the path you are on is a death march.

10. Mr Original

Mr Original Avatar

I thought you had quit & werent going to play or post anymore?

Evadrepus and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  11. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

I would be embarrassed to say I'm in charge of a "game" where this mechanic does not work. I would go into hiding if I was in charge of a game where this mechanic did work and I did not resolve it after n+ years.

arcdevil, Evadrepus, Anpu and 3 others like this.
  12. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Maybe make sure that the client on all the platforms will at least launch before pushing a patch? Is that too much to ask?

arcdevil, Evadrepus, Anpu and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.