1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

The Grand Bazaar (Universal Vendor Search)

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Kabalyero Kidd, Feb 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aeryk

Aeryk Avatar

Please explain what "moral police" as a pejorative term in the context of game design means? You probably have good reason to have issues with the suggestion (as is) but i'm not able to get past the political baggage this phrase has to understand the point you are trying to make.

FrostII likes this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Those are "landmasses" , not regions...

We have dozens of regions.

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And THAT ^^^^ sounds like the attitude of a seller who doesn't care for the idea of competition.

4. Numa

Numa Avatar

FrostII, Anpu and CICI like this.
  5. Numa

Numa Avatar

Kudos to @Browncoat Jayson and team for keeping SotaWiki alive and updated. It's an invaluable resource not only for new players but for returning veteran avatars who've missed a lot during their abscence.

6. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hey guys. Please offer kind, considerate and constructive input on the ideas of others. We're all have great ideas for the game, and many will vary. There is no need to express yourself in ways that serve to diminish another.

FrostII, Anpu and Numa like this.
  7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I support UNIVERSAL Search! Carry on. Smaller towns then have a chance to compete with the large towns.

majoria70, FrostII, CICI and 2 others like this.
  8. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

Here are my current thoughts on Vendor Search after reading through this thread,
    the Shroud 2020 Vision thread, and the link below that @Cordelayne posted.

Do auction houses suck?
    https://www.raphkoster.com/2012/03/20/do-auction-houses-suck/

My opinion on Vendor Search options from most difficult to easiest:

- The current vendor search system.
    Players have to run from vendor to vendor, checking each vendor individually to try to find what they are looking for.
    This system is extremely annoying and basically useless.
    So annoying that most of the time I don't even bother shopping.

- A vendor search system where prices are not listed.
    Better than the current system, but still very annoying.
    Players would still have to waste time running around checking a bunch of vendors to compare prices.
    But at least players would only have to check the vendors that actually have what they are looking for.
    In my opinion, any vendor search system should include current, up to date prices.

- A vendor search system where the vendor data is accessed through Lua.
    A Lua based vendor search system would have several major issues:
    - It would take players outside the game to get the vendor information.
    Having to go to a website or run a separate program to search vendors would break immersion.
    - It would give more experienced and technical players an advantage over newer and less technical players.
    Players who do not know about or do not want to bother with accessing vendor information outside the game would be at a disadvantage.
    - It would be hard to fix the system by adding in game search later.
    Players who have gained an advantage from the Lua search would protest loudly at any attempt to implement an in game vendor search.

- Town based vendor search.
    The best vendor search system to start with, in my opinion.
    I would like to see vendor search added to the Town Criers.
    This would have the added benefit of creating natural spots for players to gather in towns.
    Let players browse all items for sale or purchase in the town, sort prices, and then set a Compass Destination marker to the vendor they want to do business with.

- Region based vendor search.
    A Master Crier could also be added to the main city in each region for Regional Search of all vendors in the region.
    Useful to compare vendor prices in more out of the way towns, so the main market towns do not have all the advantage.
    Keeps the idea of a "regional economy".
    I think regional search would be just enough effort to be fun.
    Most of the time you could just check the Master Crier in one region and know that you are getting a fair price.
    But players who want to ensure they are getting the absolute best price could check the Master Crier in each region.
    Running around to all the regions checking prices could be considered fun or annoying, depending on your perspective.
    Regional vendor search could be implemented after town based vendor search to ensure that the bugs have been fixed on the smaller scale town system first.

- Universal vendor search.
    The Master Crier in each region could provide a Universal Search of all vendors in the game.
    Players could easily find the vendor with the best prices and go directly to that vendor without having to travel around checking prices first.
    Universal vendor search is a bit too easy, in my opinion.
    Universal search also destroys any idea of a "regional economy".
    I would prefer a regional search, but would not be opposed to a universal search, if that is what everyone else wants.

- Universal vendor search from any vendor or bank.
    Any vendor or bank provides a Universal Search of all vendors in the game.
    Much too easy, in my opinion.
    Also does not have the advantage of creating in game gathering spots.

- Universal vendor search and sales from any vendor or bank.
    Basically an auction house.
    Absolutely terrible, in my opinion.
    Completely destroys any value of location, as players do not need to go to your town and visit your vendor to buy your wares.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  9. CICI

CICI Avatar

- Town based vendor search. =)

Chemeck and Wilfred like this.
  10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I love ya, CICI - but you do realize that there are over 200 "Towns" with more coming in the "New Lands".
    Traveling or teleporting to all of them to search is impossible.

Wilfred and Cordelayne like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I agree we just need a global search engine so all towns are included. I know a lot of pots were created to be market places but they still can be for those who just feel like seeing what a lot of vendors have all in one place.

Wilfred and FrostII like this.
  12. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Laz has a pretty fun idea - he’s setting up a vendor mall in his dungeon:

[​IMG]

13. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Echo Chamber.

Echo Chambers happen when you drive people away.

I do not own a town. Some players bought towns because they were told there would be regional economies.

A global vendor search will empty most towns that people have spent a lot of money, not only to acquire, but also to decorate.

A global search will ruin immersion.

A global search will go against previously made promises.

If I bought a town expecting to make it visited and put a lot of money to decorate it, and a global search is implemented, I would sell my town as quickly as I could and quit the game. But I dont own a town. Not a lot of people do. They are expensive. Even more expensive to decorate. A global search will INDEFINITELY end up concentrating all vendors into 1 area over time. This would ULTIMATELY equate to the end of market town building.

These things need to be considered before any implementation. Many players have quit the game after buying towns and Port reneged on certain promises such as the taxes and other things.

All I am saying is, "get it right".

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Peach and Sea Bear like this.
  14. oplek

oplek Avatar

So, any word on this, 3 months later?

Wilfred likes this.
  15. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

After this amount of time, I assume no word is the feedback.

Sentinel2 and Anpu like this.
  16. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

How the Universal Vendor Search is implemented in Legends of Aria...

17. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

-
    I like how New World implemented their regional market system:

NEW WORLD MMORPG – Starting Zones, Auction Houses and NEW End Game PvE Details // June 2020!

----------

18. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I had an idea about implementing Vendor Search.. I think I mentioned it once in a livestream and @Chris went 'hmm!' - but I mentioned it again yesterday on Lunch w/ Laz and Jack, and @Lazarus Long really liked it.. so.. I am hopeful it might be a good compromise for everyone's concerns.

Idea is: do NOT include price information in the search.

ONLY include: Seller Name, Vendor Location, Vendor name, Date added. There would also be categories, to sort what you're looking for, and a search bar.

This would still create the foot traffic to POTs and allow for all the things Sellers and Governors enjoy.. but also make it MUCH more convenient for a lazy player like myself, who knows EXACTLY what I want to buy, to FIND several vendors and browse them, and then make my purchase.

As a shopper, I want to go to the store (vendor), and get the exact item I want, with maybe a few extras along the way if I am still in a good mood.. chances are more likely of that IF I was able to find the item I wanted quickly and at a price I feel is reasonable.

I personally *DO NOT* typically use player vendors to buy anything because I get frustrated after about 10-20 vendors, waiting for the inventory to load, and then scrolling or searching for the item I want.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...niversal-vendor-search-without-prices.165508/

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I agree.

Echondas likes this.
  20. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

+1000

Laz

Echondas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.