Quitting the App

Discussion in 'Feedback Archive' started by Bedawyn, Apr 3, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

No matter how much we love the game, there comes a time when we have to close it and get back to the real world. Usually, quitting an app is the simplest of processes, one the user barely even has to think about, just hit Ctrl-Q or Ctrl-Shift-X or whatever your key combo of choice is. But for SOTA? Here's the process:

(1) Click Options.

(2) Click Quit.

(3) Are you sure you want to quit? Well, yes, that's why I clicked Quit.

(4) You will log out in X seconds, unless you choose to resume. Why you think I might want to resume when I just told you twice that I'm trying to quit I don't understand.

Now, I do sometimes use the resume option, when I'm not actually quitting the game but only switching alts on the same account. I wish it were possible to do that while skipping steps 2 and 3, since they're irrelevant to what I'm trying to do. But if I am trying to actually quit, I'm now at FOUR clicks, Options, Quit, Yes Quit For Real, and LOG OUT NOW DARN IT!!!

(5) After having the game tell me multiple times that I don't know what I want before it decides to believe me, it finally decides to move on to the last step. "Please wait... and wait... and wait... and wait some more... while the Memory in Task Manager veeeeeeeeeeerrrrrryyy sloooooooowwly decreases." It just took me over three minutes at "Please wait" for the game to actually close. And that was when I was logging out of an empty basement when I'd done nothing in the game session except log in so I could confirm my own memory of what the quit steps were. I'm sure folks with better computers won't have to wait as long, but why should they be waiting at all? If the game needs to clear stuff out, can't it start that process, oh, round about step 2? And in an empty basement, what does it need to clear out?

Yes, you can short-cut some of this by just closing out the window, but even then, you still have to go through the "Please wait...." It means no matter how much fun you had while playing, the very last taste of the game is going to be a reminder of its flaws.

Why leave people with a bad impression? Can't we please get this process streamlined?

2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Just zone into Brittany Central. I still find that to be a way to get the app to quit without any fuss.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

The slow memory clearing at quit seems to be a Unity feature .. the Wasteland 3 beta is using Unity 2019 and has the same behavior .

AoiBlue and Bedawyn like this.
  4. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

But what is it clearing in a game session where I haven't done anything or gone anywhere?

5. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all
    I remember from my WOW days that it took a while for you to log out. They said it was so people could not just quit and evade a fight. Your character stayed in the game for a while to finish any events that you had started such as a fight. If you have SotA running and just force quit the game and then relaunch and login you will get "there is a session still running in game" or something like that. Maybe SotA does the same thing as WOW.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There is a quicker way. Pressing Alt+F4 takes you directly to the "Are you sure you want to quit?" message.

Bedawyn likes this.
  7. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

Yes, that is an upstream issue.

8. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

It would be nice if they integrated the wait 20 seconds box into the are you sure box.

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.