Building a cleric

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Nevyn Waldail, Apr 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

Hi all,
    I'm putting together what I think is a classic smitey cleric type, skill trees i'm looking at are
    Bludgeon
    Hvy Armour
    Shield

Life 1st Spec
    Air 2nd spec
    Sun

A few questions I have and am looking for advice on are
    1) How do I make the air shield viable without losing all my power for healing?
    2) Whats the best way to reduce fizzle but still get the hvy armour look? Im wearing leather gloves/helm, kilt and chain boots and chest. I think it is the shield thats killing my casting so may jsut go for 1 handed Thor hammer. But opinions and ways to reduce fizzle welcome.

I'm not expecting this to be an awesome damage dealer, focus will be on healing with crowd control.

Thanks in advance

2. Toular

Toular Avatar

Focus tree:
    [​IMG]Tranquility Increases the player's ability to remain calm and continue casting even when hit
    [​IMG]Inner Calm Decreases the focus cost of all glyphs
    [​IMG]Follow Through Decreases the fizzle chance of all glyphs

Lord Aventine and Nevyn Waldail like this.
  3. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

Will Inner calm reduce the ongoing cost of airwall?

4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

No it will not.

For air shield : you want to raise your Air attunement and Dexterity as high as possible, along with the actual shield. These 3 are the only things that will affect Air Shield's focus transfer rate.

For your fizzle : the passives mentioned are great, the skill levels for each spell will help as well. I would urge you to change your gloves for Cloth gloves, that is step #1, if you dont find, change your hood too, the rest should be okay-ish in chain, but dont expect to be able to cast much air/fire/death if you are wielding a shield (maybe discharge/ignite weapon, but not anything lower in the trees).

Sun, life, earth are trees you should attempt to exploit to their maximums.

Anything else?

Nevyn Waldail likes this.
  5. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Unfortunately heavy armor and air shield are not very compatible, for the maximum duration of the air shield the fustian cloth equipment is the best option.
    More focus you have more your air shield lasts, other things that can boost your air shield damage reduction are dexterity and air attunement.

PS: Are you planning to use this build in PVP or PVE?

6. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

Hi.
    Purely pve and mainly as a healer/cc in guild groups. I may drop the air shield idea for crystal.

I also don't see the shield working, unless there is a low fizzle option.

Would chain chest and rest fustian work?

7. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Having bludgeon as a primary focus with healing isn't too bad, but being primarily a healer with bludgeon doesn't work nearly as well. Hand slots define your character a lot more than other gear, so if you're using a hammer or hammer and shield, your healing will be pretty bad compared to what it would be with wands or ankhs. You can still have heavy armor pretty easily with a healer though.

8. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

This would honestly be better.

Now @Lazlo 's comment is true to some extent. As long as you are not the main healer in a control point, if you are simply a healer for a group of a few friends dungeon crawling, you will be fine. Chain chest rest Fustian, with a mace and shield will work for your healing needs, you will start struggling to cast some sun spells (but searing ray should be fine), but dont consider casting Air spells, Air shield would be fine, but not during a fight. Honestly if you dont plan to PvP, and you dont plan to solo T8 or higher content, you should not have issues with that build, there are more optimal ways, but your creative way will work, theres just some things you need to not consider (like chain lightning and lightning lol)

9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I don't many Clerics that can cast lightning. To me that seems odd as a choice.

10. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

At the risk of looking stupid, why? :)

So I think im leaning towards
    Chain chest everything else Fustian.
    Hammer/wand combo (or wand/wand when in full healer mode)

Thanks for the help.

11. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

Its a Dark age of Camelot thing.

Mishra likes this.
  12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Thank you. I did not know that. :)

13. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Spells have their fizzle chance impacted differently depending on the tree. There are trees that will increase the fizzle from gear, while others will reduce. Death, as an example has increased fizzle, so a piece of armor that gives 10% fizzle chance, when using a Death spell, will become 15% (note, the numbers are not right, I dont have my game open). Meanwhile life has -50%, so the same 10% fizzle piece will only increase a healing spell by 5%. Air spells are on the high side, so the more fizzle from gear you have, the worse it can get, and shield have a high fizzle.

14. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

As of low fizzle heavy-looking armor.

Bone armor and Leather Armor are lower fizzle and considered light armor.

White Iron Armor and Bronze Armor are lower Fizzle and heavy armor.

You can also mix and match heavy armor or light armor to get the set bonus so long as all is light or all is heavy. This means you can wear a circlet, cloth gloves, and cloth boots with bone leggings and bone chest, or you can wear mail gloves, boots, leggings and helm with a plate chest to get a nice heavy look.

As a note, a healing cleric will not be able to smite and heal at the same time. Giving blows reduces your healing power for a few minutes. However, some other tanking skills can be done while healing. Additionally, the life tree is also good for smiting the undead.

15. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Chain Chest and Fustian are ok, the problem can be the fizzle chance on casting Air Shield while wielding a mace and shield.

My suggestion are:

Healer/Support build: White Iron Chain chest+fustian and double life wands or wand+shield using Air Shield and Air Stuns.
    Solo Build: Full Bronze/Constantan Chain and Mace+Shield/2h mace using Crystal Shield and Bludgeon skills.

I would go Heavy Armor or Bludgeon as second spec instead of air.

Bludgeon spec is very good for aoe stuns, and heavy armor can improve ur support role with Valiant Warden as well as giving you much more defense.
    Air Spec could be wasted in your case, nothing prevent you to use air magic and air shield effectively even without specialization.

16. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Leather Guard Armor (COTO store / player merchants in some rare cases), when dyed darker colors like Pure Black, can look kinda chainmailish. The Lord British Leather Helm also looks like a medieval battlefield helmet, and can be construed as chainmail (but with leather bonuses / casting %).

You could also try mixing - I think a big (cloth) robe on a cleric that wears chain gloves and boots seems quite cleric-like.

If you really want to pull the cleric type off, you only need to invest in the lightning spells (in terms of Air). Healing and smiting!

17. Mishra

Mishra Avatar

There was also a Warden for Hibernia

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

After messing with most skill trees for a while, this is the approach I went with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.