need opions on a Nvidia card i am thinking of buying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chatele, Mar 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I read this article https://www.ricksdailytips.com/page-file-on-ssd/ on it, and they said " Leave the Page File on the SSD and max out your RAM."

SmokerKGB likes this.
  2. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Thanks for that article, I bookmarked it... It would seem to support what I'm trying to explain: 1st everyone needs an backup image of their HDD (whether SSD or mechanical) and it's up to you to make any decisions about your machine... The article I was reading (can't find it now to refers) was stating that: when system RAM becomes 32gb or greater (the article was stating 4gb to 8gb), then Windows has enough resources, so that a "page file" is no longer needed (or used by the OS), I find that Yes, 32gb aids performance greatly, it still has its limits (out of memory warnings) and this realy depends on how many other programs you have running in the background (I myself have chrome w/20 tab open when I play Sota and looking at process usage in Windows it's about 12gb just for chrome), I have only once had the out of memory warning with Sota and Chris was well aware of that release, since has fixed it...

The 2nd article I was reading had to do with "page file size" and how to control it: recommending it be limited to 1 1/2 the size of physical RAM installed for 32gb it would be 48gb, as Windows tends to use all HDD free space for the page file, you limit it by setting it's max/min size to the same #, for 48gb x 1024 kb= 49152 then Windows doesn't make it bigger/smaller AND it will know where on the HDD the file location will be, to be clear the page file is discarded each time you reboot, but if you let the machine go to "sleep" the file is retained...

My main concern with SSD is it could just go out, no warnings... Unlike a mechanical HDD which develops "bad sectors" and allowing you to "fix" the problem using scandisk to mark these bad sectors and don't use them (HDD always have extra sectors available for this, but the older the drive, the more unreliable it gets)... There is no fail safe with SSD that I'm aware of, other than a full image to restore...

Another aspect of SSDs is: you don't need to "defrag" the drive, it knows where everything is, unlike a HDDs which need to "seek out a sector and wait for the disk to spin to it", so defragging is recommended...

Chatele likes this.
  3. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Speaking from bitter experience HDDs can go out just as easily.

I never have anything on my machine that I can’t afford to lose. All important files sit on an external drive or in cloud. Learned that lesson the hard way when I lost two mirrored HDDs on a previous setup.

Lighting storm surged a power line (blew the transmitter) leading to my house, computer not powered on, but the surge still blew my PSU and motherboard and fried my HDDs. It’s a one in a million thing to happen, but it happened. Lost all my files on my pc, no backups, as that was what the mirrored drive was for and I was naive back then. Learned an expensive lesson that day.

Since then I have invested in a really good tower surge protector to start with, as the old one didn’t do anything to protect my pc and I only have on my PC what I can easily reinstall. All other important files sit in external storage. I back up my software/game user files too so I can easily transfer back to a clean setup. Even that I don’t believe is perfect but it’s at least better then my previous setup.

Taking images isn’t fool proof either. My farther-in-law does that on his pc and one year he was at a loss when his backup image ended up not as clean as he thought (and this guy is meticulous), and had to reinstall his OS in the end.

For me personally it’s easier just to spend a day or two to reformat and start again on the rare occasion I need to.

Everyone does things differently though, for different reasons, but one thing to take away from it all is backup up your files and backup your backup. That I certainly agree with.

Though I agree they have a longer life then SDDs, but SSDs are getting better.

Chatele likes this.
  4. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

Sounds like you have made a good choice, the 2070 super is a solid card. Your tower looks to be ATX Mid based on your product id so that should be fine even though your mobo is matx, wouldn't worry too much about it.. should be fine. If you are worried you can post a picture of the inside of your case or just measure the length from PCI port/opening to the nearest obstruction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.