STEAM

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Beaumaris, Apr 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Greetings! Some of us play SOTA through Steam. Note that the Steam page has not been updated since Release 73 (December 2019). If the idea is to no longer updated Steam with each new game release, a suggestion may be to consider placing a more generic news item there that simply redirects players here for new release news.

Cheers!

2. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Unfortunately the forums here are just as out of date when it comes to official announcement type stuff.
    Half of my news comes from rumours of what someone may have heard Chris mention on a stream.

3. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

Since Steam cuts off most of the message in the short form it would be more convenient to give a short message with a link for the summary, and then extend it below with a set of condensed notes.

Araminis Darkblade likes this.
  4. Chemeck

Chemeck Avatar

Also, some of achievements dont work, like hunter ones (killing creatures)

5. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

The data-connection was broken several times in the past - that's why I switched from steam-client to the client here. Updates go smoother and I have not the feeling steam is looking over my back ^^.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  6. Chemeck

Chemeck Avatar

Good for you :) I wouldn't even try the game if it wasn't on steam, most probably. And there are others like that :D

7. Last Trinsic Defender

Well, to be honest - getting games in a non-descript container, not being able to get access to the files of a game (installation, configs, ...) or getting access only over a third-party-server?
    Nah .. maybe brave new world but nothing good for sure.

8. Chemeck

Chemeck Avatar

What are you talking about? You can access all the files, there is still game's directory with all config files and exe's inside. You can play them off-line. You just don't have a physical copy. The rest Steam offers is just social features. And i'm not asking to switch, dont worry, I'm just stating that i found this game on Steam, and i like my MMORPGs on Steam instead of having to install seperate client for each and keeping it updated. Yeah, i have Steam running in background and it updates every game i have installed in meantime, so i never wait when i want to play. I have all news about my fav games in one place too, as long as it's getting updated.

And there is around 150 more daily players using same way of connecting with SOTA. And only in my guild i know about 10 people who don't even use discord or tweeter, so they're never up to date with any SOTA related news. And when i look for something to play and i see there are no new news since few months, i usually consider game dead and not even trying it. It was different with SOTA since i knew the name, and I'm UO player, but normally i wouldn't install it. And if it wasn't on Steam, i wouldn't even look for it. Some players are like that. Making achievements work or actually updating steam which half of the players use to play would be a smart move. That won't need much work and will show some efforts. Because lets be serious, how long logging in and copy/pasting a post can take? 5 minutes? 10 max? It seems achievable. You dont need it anymore, but dozens would love to not be ignored anymore :p

I've seen great titles ideas on forum, to reward some game achievements with nice tittle stating you're master or harvesting, dragon slayer, etc. That could be easily linked with steam achievements, some people love them and spend hundreds of hours just to get them all.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi I'm not an argument for or against Steam. Those who use it want to and those who don't won't. When this game started developing in 2013 we did not have steam that took a few years to add steam. Also some of those who pledged large amounts didn't want to risk it because they couldn't easily sell their accounts if steam had them. So there's many perceptions. Selling accounts is not a huge money maker as it was in the early years. For myself I understand wanting achievements fixed but I'm one who doesn't play on steam. I've Been here since 2013 with a pledge. I have always spoke out big time for the game to get an achievement system. Darkstarr said since one wasn't coded in at the beginning of development of the game it would take a lot to add it now. To me this has always been very sad and wrong that in game did not have this very basic system.

I have been a big advocate for it as you can see in my signature which has a link with achievement reasons and ideas. Best wishes to get that fixed for you. I know steam is an important place to get players playing.

Araminis Darkblade and Chemeck like this.
  10. Last Trinsic Defender

What are you talking about? Yes you have files but can't start most of the game because of "no steam connection". You _need_ Steam running. Yeah, you don't have access, you can't play it and you even don't have a physical copy. Bad as it can get.

Agreed when you call controlling a 'social feature'.

Sorry for you if you can get your informations about your favorite games only from Steam-boards.

Yeah. So what? Shroud is a good example that you don't need any communication-program beside it.

Discord offers Shroud-News? And there are no other sources?

As game-journalist Steam is the least place I look for new infos about games. Nearly every game runs several social media platforms, newspapers and magazins write on a daily base.

Yes, @majoria70 - absolutely. I've supervised some pc-games in the last 20 years and own achievements are very important and push players on and on. You can't trust a portal which can change or be closed whenever the interest of people drops. After that all your virtual goods are gone. And I always suggest a guarantee for the customers to hand-out a key which makes it possible in the case servers are closed-down to continue playing offline. It's not always possible but most of the games have a solo-mode. Right now we have a situation where it is possible to play games from the late 80s till the impact of the internet. After that missing server-connections make it impossible for players to continue old games. Whenever Steam is closed down many thousands of games are gone, too.

Imho it's the responsibility of every user to keep his programs and games up-to-date and separate. This way you are master of the organisation of your software and not a distant company which decides based on stack-holders and investors. There have been closings of these companies in the past and there will be in the future. And it's my intent to make the impact on my gaming-environment as small as possible.

11. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

They could easily copy/paste the updates from here over there. They need community volunteers for that presently. Pretty much anyone could do it on the Steam discussion board.

That may be you but it's not several million global daily users, including myself. And, newspapers? Really? lmao

12. Chemeck

Chemeck Avatar

@Last Trinsic Defender Ok, i get it, you dont like Steam. For the same reasons you probably dont use google, facebook, twitter, windows, and many other apps and websites that spy and control you even more. It's your choice, i respect it, but i just try to not be that paranoic. I'm just not ready to move to woods. Im well aware what Steam is and what I'm giving them for their features. Including social features, such as chat, friend lists, achievements, badges, walls to share your screenshots and clips, game forums, player resources place with tutorials and other helpful stuff. Its hard to call it not social features. Even if you dont like Steam. The point is the thread is not about you clearly, but people who use steam and their needs. It's not you. It's me. And many others. I never said I CAN ONLY find info here, i said i like it this way. Also, never said they need discord or twitter (you missed in your quote) to communicate, thats just the only place with updated logs (twitter), and discord links it. So yes, there are no other up to date sources but Discord AND TWITTER.

I'm glad you worked out your sources, but we're not talking about nearly every game, but about SOTA, show me up to date social media platforms, newspapers and magazins write on a daily base that are not Twitter.
    Also, thats some real jounralist job, quoting only parts of my post so it fits your response better :D

13. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Best thing about using steam? Not having to enter in a password every time you want to play SotA!!!

14. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

With all due respect, those of us who use Steam don't care whether a game journalist likes it or not.

The facts remain that loyal SOTA avatars play the game using Steam and Steam can attract gamers to SOTA.

Improving SOTA's news format there, and elsewhere, to avoid the appearance of inactivity is good for the game and all of us here.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  15. Chemeck

Chemeck Avatar

Look what post from 2 days ago i found on steam community page:

[​IMG]

Seems it wont hurt to post something from time to time.

16. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Frustrating, isn't it?

17. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Working to get access now, thanks for the reminder ;) I like the idea of a generic redirect to the site for updates, but if its easy to past in my update info after I finish it, I might as well do that as well.

18. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Got access -- expect some updates to come soon ;)

19. Chemeck

Chemeck Avatar

That's great, thank you :)

Witcheypoo likes this.
  20. Last Trinsic Defender

Yeah that's why SOTA got no attention in media and this game is scrapping at zero attention in the gaming-community. And lets face it - it's dead by now. A pocketful of players makes no community for a rpg-game. But it's ok - just commence not caring. A game always "deserves" the players it has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.