Need updated help with deck building

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Fatality Dark, Apr 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fatality Dark

Fatality Dark Avatar

I am trying to build 2 decks, 1 for Staff and 1 for BattleAxe. I know basic setup of decks like locked and unlocked as well as slugs when you are just starting out. I am not asking for specific help with building a staff/Axe build just some questions that still confuse me. I have watched a lot of the tutorials but most of them are old and dont have the same look as current mode. So here are my questions.

1. If my minimum deck size is lets say 20 and I have unlocked a lot of skills why would I not put 1 of each active glyph in the deck in unlocked mode?
    2. If I can put 5 cards of a spell in my deck for several skills adding to the total number of cards why would that be good or bad?
    3 If I do either or both of the first 2 questions why does it sometimes say "This Glyph cannot be drawn to any of the deck's hotbar slots"?
    4. Is it better to have a lot of glyphs in one deck or split DPS/Health to one deck and Buffs to another deck?

Those are my main questions for now. There are so many skills and if I concentrate on armor, weapon, DPS, Heals, and buffs in one deck it is overwhelming. Thank you all for the help and I look forward to seeing you in game.

Edit: Underline is the edit so far.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    FrostII likes this.
  2. Chemeck

Chemeck Avatar

1&2. Hey. The more glyphs of same skill you put, the higher the chance to draw that skill is. Some skills effects can stack on target if you spam it, some not. Sometimes it's better to charge the skill than to spam it. You need to experiment here.
    3. Maybe you are trying to use passive skill? You dont have to put passives in your deck, it's only for active skills.
    4. It's your call. I modify and improve my deck all the time, my main PVE has only two buffs from light armor (dodge, flurry) since those won't last too long and i need to use it pretty often. Rest of buffs are on alternative deck. But it's really up to you and your play style.

3. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

I use a good mix of locked and unlocked slots, you need to consider, the duration of any skill and its cool down time as well as how often you want it to appear. These are the issues to consider when deciding how many of each glyph.

Also if it is a skill you might combo a lot you probably want to have at least one element of that combo locked. reading a guide on magic the gathering deck building may give you a better insight into deck building as although they are different games the general principals apply.

I think most people run with mainly locked decks but I like the active decks, feels like im actually participating much more.

4. Fatality Dark

Fatality Dark Avatar

Hi @Chemeck
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah I know about Active and Innate. It actually wont let you put an Innate in the hotbar. So for #3 if I am building a deck and I put all the possible cards i want on the right
    [​IMG]

then add them to hotbar this happens
    [​IMG]

Cards that could be placed are now grayed out. If you put them in the hotbar anyway they still go and will light back up in the list on the right as if they are good to go but do they affect the draw or use?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  5. Chemeck

Chemeck Avatar

@Fatality Dark Well, i dont really understand why you have 50 glyphs there. It's seems like a lot. I never have any i don't use on the right side, i think it affects the draw chance, but i can't be sure, since i wasnt able to find any official details about deck building and i never tested it, i just dont put skills i dont use in deck. If your skill is locked (like ice arrow), you dont need it on the right side, put there only unlocked skills.
    [​IMG]
    This is how my deck looks now. As little glyphs as possible, but no slugs. I never had any issue with putting active skills on the hotbar, maybe you reached your limit? :p I dont know. Let's wait for someone who does :p

6. Fatality Dark

Fatality Dark Avatar

Thanks @Chemeck
    I think I understand my issue then. Here is my adventure skill tree.
    [​IMG]

I only put exp in skills I plan to use so all skills that have numbers in them I plan on putting in my deck. This means I have a lot of cards in my deck. So in my thought process I need Light Armor, Bludgeon, Sun, Light, Water, Tactics, Subterfuge, and Focus which adds up to 50 active Glyphs not counting Innate glyphs that do not go in deck. I will redo my skills down to 4 skill trees and not go for all skills in each of those 4 trees and see if I survive. Any other suggestions please feel free to suggest.

7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Hey @Fatality Dark , deck building connoisseur here (JK, just love to theory craft many different deck styles).

1st off, the reason why your glyphs on the right become greyed out is because when you actually go into combat, you wont have any slots to place your glyph. Glyphs on the right act like a deck of cards, every x time period, you draw a card, and place it in one of the 10 slots you have in your bar, if a slot is available. The issue with your deck right now is that Searing ray has nowhere to go.

You are telling the game, on slots 9 and 0, leave my healing spells there, permanently. Next, allow only these cards (the ones shown in your picture) to go in all these different slots. The difference between both pictures in that in picture 1, you have a wildcard slot, where any glyph can go, meanwhile in picture 2 all your slots are designated, but no place has been given to Searing ray.

1st off, if you lock a glyph (shown with the little golden lock in slots 9 and 0), do not put the glyphs in your deck. Currently you can stack healing touch, but only by the max amount - the amount in your deck (right side), so if you can have a max of 5 glyphs but left 4 in your deck, your healing touch in slot 9 only has 1 card before being on full cooldown.

Second, any glyph that cant be placed will slow down your drawing, so if you draw a glyph that has nowhere to go, it will hold the card a little to see if it can place it before putting it back in your deck, so that will slow down any other drawing going on. Also, the more cards you have, the less chance to pull the one you want.

There needs to be a balance between the amount of cards versus the cooldown they have, cooldowns are a bit like the time they HAVE to spend in the discard pile before they go back in your deck, so if you have too few cards with too long cooldowns, you will sometimes have nothing to cast, meanwhile if you have too many, like I said, your chances of drawing the one you want or need are reduced.

If you have any other questions, feel free to tag me!

Chemeck likes this.
  8. Chemeck

Chemeck Avatar

Oh, so if you have any free slots glyph that wasn't assigned to any slot but is placed in deck will just use empty ones, i didn't know that, thanks :) That explains the red warning. Still, i prefer to have at least some control of what is happening in my hotbar :p

9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Yes, you simply need to place them all in a slot at least, to give them a place to go, at a minimum.

10. Fatality Dark

Fatality Dark Avatar

Thank you both. This makes so much more sense to me now. Time for a spreadsheet. Need to track skill, the number of different skills, and cool downs for each one. Cool.... I love spreadsheets (Not sarcasm).

Anpu and Violet Ronso like this.
  11. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Also, it might be smart to not have everything in the same deck. I have different decks for different zones.

As an example, Undead are immune to death magic, so you would want a deck that has no death magic at all so that when you come across undead you arent wasting time and focus using spells that don't work. At the same time, Banish undead is awesome against undead, but anything else is immune, so why have it the rest of the time?

I have a deck for general mobs, a deck for close quarters, a deck for each boss type if they have different immunities (ex. Trolls are immune (or close) to air, so a deck with air magic in it is pointless vs trolls). This will help you both use all the skills you want but at the same time reduce the amount of glyphs in a single deck. As you play through zones you will learn the environment and the mobs in that zone, and you can then adjust your decks accordingly, dont limit yourself to 1 single deck. Also, any buff that is longer than 5 minutes, I usually but it in a separate deck, a "buff" deck, that I can switch to to refresh said buffs when they run out, examples of this are Enlightenment, douse, celestial blessing, etc.

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  12. Fatality Dark

Fatality Dark Avatar

I have not broken them down that far yet but my 2 main decks right now are Death with Staff of Death (Bludgeon) and Death with Torc'Dawl' Slicer (Bludgeon). Your right though I need to diversify the skills more. I know everyone like fire but don't want to do like everyone else. Maybe full earth and Staff/Slicer and no death. Or Earth with polearm and slicer. Now that I can sort of configure my deck correctly I can change around some things. Thanks again.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  13. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Hey do not worry about fire! Is it the best all around in PvE? Yes! Is it the only viable option? Not at all. I am a water mage, and apart from the occasional ignite weapon, I do not use Fire at all! I use mainly water, Air and sun, with a bit of bludgeon when I am fighting mages, and life when I fight waves of undead, and I can pretty much clear all the content I want to do!

Don't listen to the meta if you don't want to, find zones that fit your style and are fun, and enjoy yourself that way!

Tirrag likes this.
  14. Chemeck

Chemeck Avatar

Dont worry about me, i like how my deck works, my slot 5 and 6 are switchable depending on situation and i have no need now for 2nd combat deck. 1 combat, 1 buff and 1 training one is what i got. But i'm no mage, just double blades, so i dont use many glyphs, my blade skills + meteors + banish, if its location with undead, or something else, if it's not :p And i got few magic shield skills, but mainly i switch between earth and water :p And Soothing rain + healing grace to keep me alive. I'm at lvl 103/90, i managed to test most of the skills to find the one i want :p But yes, i see people using dozens of decks, one just for moving fast, one for looking nice, few for different zone types. I'm just not into it yet :p

Violet Ronso likes this.
  15. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

It's something you start doing once you want to specialize your deck to make the fights faster or more efficient, so don't worry about it if you aren't there yet, and physical weapons have much less weaknesses. For a mage there are elemental resistances than can come into play, that is why I need more decks usually.

Chemeck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.