The excess xp and current 10x quest exp has trivialized 95% of the game content.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OzzyOsbourne, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

+ there is no way a new player can manage to do 24 sessions of CPs + do the entire quest series for the outskirts and the main quest line all in a single day...

I agree to the point though that some scenes could have a level overhaul, make them harder to keep them relevant, that could be a cool idea!

FrostII and Anpu like this.
  2. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

You miss the point of this entire thread , 1 week, not one day, and really what the hell is the difference of 4 days? It makes 90% the game irrelevant exactly what OP said, Have a great day... You still point out a person could get massive xp though thanks....

CP is not true, new player has 0 xp cap until adv 100. = 125m xp, then they get the 10m/hour..
    +10x quest xp has no cap.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  3. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

I absolutely agree - 10x for the quest is a good thing.
    BUT, it seems this solution was not discussed from all points of view.
    The main problem with X10 quests rewards, which greatly affects the economy - all resources which we used to raise crafting XP pool, now lost the market for 90%. If devs making smth what greatly affects the economy, then smth to substitute the part of the lost market should be done as well.
    Again the idea was good, and I was talking here for years that it should be done, but the way it was implemented was not good or bad it is just a partial solution.
    @Elgarion

Drilikath likes this.
  4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The part of making content irrelevant is false though, once again, the content is not made irrelevant, it is simply made easy, it's easy mode, that is all, but take a new player, who doesnt know much about where he is going or what he is doing, and he will still die with all that exp, the exp wont make him know how the combat works all of a sudden! Also, the scene exploration and quests in those scenes aren't gone, they are still there, and now instead of worrying about getting killed each step of the way they can appreciate the story all in one go.

I remember my first run through of the story, I did parts of the story with so many breaks in the middle because of my level and skill that were so low that I couldnt remember what I had done, so at some point, instead of following it, I just ran through it. When I came back the second time, with much more experience, I could actually appreciate it and took the time I needed because I wanted to, and enjoyed it.

Once again, content does not dissapear, nor does it become worthless, because you have more experience, you will just experience the fights in a much easier way.

5. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Meh..

Your need to skill up is not a problem for these new players, adv 85-100 in a week or less.

Story line designed for a lvl 80 character to have some mild difficulty.

6. Illiaro

Illiaro Avatar

I'm not arguing that it can't be done by someone who is experienced in the game mechanics and has run through these quests before and has alts/friends that enable fast travel. However, the NEW player isn't going to have all that. The bar is already set at level 120 or higher. To keep new players, you need to get them into that range to play the game and keep coming back. Nobody wants to be left out of what the big kids are doing. My criticism of this game from the beginning is that a soft cap is damaging. People will always try for that .01% advantage over the other players and it distorts game play. UO, among others, was successful because you made decisions about your character. There wasn't a one-size maxes all spec. There was a finish line for advancement of a character.

So far, I've been playing about two weeks, 12-15 hours, and collected about 35m producer XP redoing quest lines. That's what, two days of @Elrond grinding? LOL

7. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

I usually grind about 500k- 1 mil prod XP /day when im gathering . 35 m prod. is a huge advancement . Hopefully will be over soon ..all these 2 x , 4 x , 10 x have been holding the economy hostage for like a month now . But im guessing people care about getting free XP more then having a functional economy/game .

- So what do players need when they quest ? What do they consume from the economy ?

Do they need FOOD ? NO
    Do they need Resources ? NO
    Do they need Crafted Gear ? NO
    Do they need Artifacts ? NO

So if they need nothing , they consume nothing , they buy nothing and they sell nothing why do we bother with POTS and Vendors and Prime Locations ..and..and ....

By all means lets add more events that completely bypass the economy ...

Same applies for double /triple whatever its at now craft xp ( only farmers make some profits during this time and chips, heads sellers ) . So lets keep on questing for months to come , every 2-3 days a new alt to do the story and cash in 45 mil free craft xp , until everyone has 40-50 mil xp in every craft proffession ... because that will bring balance to the game and make everything smell like farts and look like a rainbow .

Anyway crafting economy is pretty much dead...been like that for years ...and none seems to give a ... about it ... so im probably just wasting my time debating something that doesnt affect me much only buries the dead little deeper .

8. Illiaro

Illiaro Avatar

If they make it so that you can only do the "fixed" quests once now, then I don't think you have an argument. I do believe that there should be levels for equipment use. That gets new crafters into the market and cycles old gear out as people level up to use the new/higher level stuff. There are so many things in the game that people will never use, short bows, for example. Also, making recipes more available for new crafters would help. I want this game to succeed. Large, unclosable, gaps between players won't help it succeed. Most of us who have been playing for a long time literally just walk through these quests. No risk, no excitement, and no wonder. But, the quests aren't made for us, they are made for newer people and if you have huge gaps between new and older players that can never be closed, then the game will quietly fail.

FrostII likes this.
  9. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

What else is your crystal ball telling you ? Nvm im sure its more doom and gloom .

I want it to be fun.... and rewarding.... right now its either very grinding or very unrewarding or in some cases both.

10. Illiaro

Illiaro Avatar

Nothing except what prior experience playing games that have disappeared; Tablula Rasa for example.

11. CICI

CICI Avatar

You can also buy COTO's off shroud of the avatar Website! sell the COTO's to one of the many COTO's Traders for gold :) then use the gold to buy crafting resources or anything you see on a vender! :D

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Violet Ronso and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  12. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

The problem is they keep making new zones without going back to older zones and making them better (with few exceptions, like Ulfheim). Ulfheim is a really good example of a revamped zone. But it's just one of dozens. The suggestion to take some of the lower level zones and "level" them up is good as well. Yours is a good suggestion, too - tasks/quests in zones that make it worth revisiting. Be nice, for example, if you go into a zone to get "x" resource, that there is a daily/weekly that gives you a bonus to that thing you are after (I'm looking at you, Beetle Carapace). Just a thought.

Chatele, majoria70 and FrostII like this.
  13. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

I miss my early level days of figuring things out, doing research, fumbling about. **** i even printed a map of one of the shardfalls and marked a cotton farming route to make gold off beetles (i think beetles were going for 500-600gp then). I remember going to the rise super early on when one mage was like a boss fight. I died constantly and was penalized for it but it was fun and challenging. I spent a month in the mines to get my craft skills up so i could make some decent gear - **** was brutal but i was addicted and having fun.

Now.. ugh I've tried switching things up. hitting XP hard, crafting and messing with deco and homes, grinding spots for arties... if i cant make 100k+ gold an hour everything seems pointless. messed with RMT thinking that it was the true endgame...but got bored with that too. I'm having a hard time finding anything to do that peeks my interest.

I recently went to despair to try and see if it'd be fun to solo or worth my time.. the challenge is there but the loot sucks - and i wish i could just run clear to the dragon room to mess around and die.

Anyways.. you new players :) have fun with those early levels and challenge yourself. I probably just need a break or something.

FrostII and Dhanas like this.
  14. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

Don't worry guys, if I just run ERG 250,000,000 times, I can get my Pet Speed Training in my Taming tree from 100-140. After all, the jump from 100-140 only costs a measly 1,072,513,413 experience.
    All is right with the world.

... wait ...

15. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Yeah, all this quest exp has made that 140 Pet Speed trivial!

Jokes aside, OP was maybe simply not clear enough in mentioning that it is the producer EXP that is too much, so if Chris does not get to crafting like he said he would, someone who does the main quest line twice (because you have a reset) can get close to 72m crafting exp just from the main quest line, outskirts and side quests on the way, which means you can GM every single producer skill, and then the only difference between that person and high tier crafters like Elrond is the materials Elrond already has and a few DECIMALS for masterworks and enchants. The quest resets should have been removed from anyone who had not done the quests once already, given a new one to the testers, and maybe removed the x2 for the quests. The x10 is fine for sidequests and all, without the current x2, and it should have been left at that.

Terrence Phillip likes this.
  16. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

I truly appreciate the 10x crafting XP. It gives casual players a chance to catch up to those who have quite a bit more time, allows players in general to create their own gear and not have to pay absurd prices for it (500k for a single piece of armor, for example), and breathes more life into the crafting economy. When more folks join the game, competition arises, and prices go down as a result, making (1) crafted gear more affordable, and thus (2) crafted gear more viable.

17. Lord Blackthorne

Lord Blackthorne Avatar

Also, while Elrond does have a point about the temporary "freeze" of the economy, it is also folks like Elrond (respectfully, mate) who are top-tier crafters and hold a strong position on the pricing that is an issue, I think.

Gold is very hard to come by unless you are an extremely active player. It's a hard thing to balance the pricing of materials, the time it takes to craft, the RNG of the roll to enchant/MW, etc. Maybe if everything were think-tanked and addressed, over time, we'd have a lovely, bustling, balanced economy. So, who knows, maybe the prices are accurate and the true root that needs to be addressed is the hard grind needed to get them. I am not educated enough in crafting to know that answer.

Vaiden Luro and Violet Ronso like this.
  18. Grimsley

Grimsley Avatar

as a returning player, im enjoying the exp boost. im actually finding going out and doing quests rewarding and is helping me catch up to a point to where I can complete my shroud quest (finally after 2 years).
    One thing this game can use is more quality of life improvements, not less. So thanks whoever granted the questing xp boost, I feel it should have been this way all along.

Lord Blackthorne, Anpu, Aeryk and 2 others like this.
  19. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

That point Is kind of Moot.

Simply put if us older continue to play as we do, the gap will never close with the newer players because we are either maintaining or expanding the gap because we are playing more or have the ability to play more because of things Like, Unemployment, Quarantined or a multitude of other reasons that afford older players the ability to put in more game time.

i for one am all for the extra Exp, because it lets people feel like they are not wasting their time questing , it makes them feel like they are achieving something. And who cares if they get to the top content faster? the same argument can be made for the expenditure of Exp in to skills, who cares how fast they level skills? they earned the exp required , more power to them.

I will agree , Balance is Needed. but how that balance is Achieved is something that needs to be handled Very carefully., and feedback needs to be acquired from ALL people, not just a small selection of players who have more disposable income invested into the game.

20. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Counter argument here, the fact that the exp cost becomes exponentially higher, and this increased cost is HUGE when you go past 100 (1.2M exp for 1-100, and about 6m exp for 100-120, 5 times more for 5 times less levels), this means the gap will close in terms of levels, not in terms of actual experience, but the levels gap will close and mean that new players will get closer as time goes by if both players get the same amount of exp every day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.