Hi! Happy to be here but having trouble getting game to run and can't find tech help.

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by scottedwards2000, Apr 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottedwards2000

scottedwards2000 Avatar

Hi everyone! For some reason the game crashes about 50% through building the map. Right before it crashes i see a Unity dialog. I've run dxdialog and my system is DirectX11 compatible. Can anyone help? thanks!

Lord Aventine and that_shawn_guy like this.
  2. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hi there, and welcome to the community! :)

We have had a few folks out there with persistent crash problems, and we've been attempting to address them. We have another crash fix patch coming this weekend which should hopefully address a handful of the scenarios causing them. More to come! :)

3. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Can you post the specs for your machine? CPU, RAM, Graphic Cards, etc, etc

scottedwards2000 likes this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

5. scottedwards2000

scottedwards2000 Avatar

SystemInfo, graphicsDeviceName=Intel(R) HD Graphics, graphicsMemorySize=880, graphicsDeviceType=Direct3D11, operatingSystem=Windows 7 (6.1.0) 64bit, processorCount=4, processorType=Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz, systemMemorySize=7987

I checked the requirements and I think i meet them, except for my graphics card - but since the game uses DirectX and I am compatible according to the dxdialog.exe tool I ran, then should it matter that I don't have an AMD or Nvidia?

also found this in error.log: (seems like it might be a problem with GDOC.dll which is in the SotA\Shroud of the Avatar_Data\Plugins folder)

Shroud of the Avatar by Portalarium [version: Unity 2018.4.19f1_459f70f82ea4]

GDOC.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
    in module GDOC.dll at 0033:dbfe480f.

Error occurred at 2020-04-30_184520.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SotA\Shroud of the Avatar.exe, run by sedwards.

99% physical memory in use.
    7988 MB physical memory [72 MB free].
    7246 MB process peak paging file [7240 MB used].
    6408 MB process peak working set [5910 MB used].
    System Commit Total/Limit/Peak: 11778MB/19658MB/12703MB
    System Physical Total/Available: 7988MB/72MB
    System Process Count: 162
    System Thread Count: 2121
    System Handle Count: 53697
    Disk space data for 'C:\Users\sedwards\AppData\Local\Temp\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Crashes\Crash_2020-05-01_014415468\': 18340302848 bytes free of 250028937216 total.

SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'The specified module could not be found.' (Address: 00000000EAFDA980)
    ERROR: SymGetModuleInfo64, GetLastError: 'A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.' (Address: 00000000EAFDA980)
    0x00000000EAFDA980 ((<unknown>)) (function-name not available)
    ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'The specified module could not be found.' (Address: 00000000A4E16000)
    ERROR: SymGetModuleInfo64, GetLastError: 'A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.' (Address: 00000000A4E16000)

Lesni likes this.
  6. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

The game uses less memory if you set video mode to "Fastest". That might just be enough of a change to get your client loaded.

7. scottedwards2000

scottedwards2000 Avatar

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it didn't help. Still getting the same error as above. Always happens when map building is at 50% -- is that maybe when the game launches or something?

8. FarmerJack

FarmerJack Avatar

You might also try to DL the game directly from Portalarium and run it from the command line without using Steam.
    You can sign in with the same e-mail and password that you are already using.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=85197

9. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

It looks as if your machine relies on Intel HD graphics. This shares main memory to do the graphics work. And it appears you have 8 Gb main memory.
    Sorry to say that this won’t do the job. Shroud requires a minimum of 8 Gb main memory (RAM) as well as at least 6 Gb dedicated video Ram.
    You will need a video card.

10. scottedwards2000

scottedwards2000 Avatar

thanks - sorry to hear that - would there be any advantage if I ran from linux on the same machine? I'm guessing not... :-(

11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

REALLY not. memory usage for this game is much worse on linux.

scottedwards2000 and Anpu like this.
  12. Toular

Toular Avatar

I have a laptop with very similar specs - except I'm running Windows 10 - that I wanted to use for an alt character - mostly to play a musical instrument and do things like gather water while my main char is entering zones...

It would (barely) run the game with occasional crashes due to being unable to allocate memory. I upgraded its memory to 12GB and now it runs the game fairly well, but the frame rate is not suitable for real play (like maybe 10 fps). SO, really, I would recommend adding system RAM *and* a video card.

13. scottedwards2000

scottedwards2000 Avatar

thanks everyone for your help!!! I guess I will see you when I get a new computer! :)

Lord Aventine likes this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

So sorry for the news but if you are able to upgrade one day in the near future there are a lot of wonderful things in this game. Imo it is still a work in progress but the devs are working hard on it. Now a days everyone imo opinion needs at least 16 gigs of ram. Some older cards like mine are the 1060 and I have an SSD also. My game runs fantastic. Gaming is my favorite entertainment especially since diet changes for health reasons so I rarely eat out anymore. Well not at all right now.

You could also check eBay for a card as well. Ive heard of players getting good cards so much cheaper like last year's models.

If I can ever help in game let me know. I'm Majoria in game. Best wishes to you.

15. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Your specs are not sufficient to run the game efficiently.
    However... Try this:
    Start the program directly from either the SOTA Icon or Directly from the file on the hard drive.
    I would probably download the game directly and place it in the folder: "C:\Program Files\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\" and run from the file "Shroud of the Avatar.exe" directly

When the main screen opens click PLAY
    When the window opens click OPTIONS

Change these settings:
    Under Video: Quality Level = FASTEST
    You did not say what your screen resolution is but try this.
    RESOLUTION: 1280 X 1024
    (the chosen resolution should be at least 1/2 of what is your normal)
    Lower the Level of Detail to no more than 1/2 way slider
    UNCHECK ALL of the boxes below the sliders
    The most important one is FULL SCREEN. Uncheck it and run in a window.
    The others will help if you uncheck them also.

This will make the game run in a small screen window.
    You can 'stretch' the screen to be larger but try it small at first to see if it will load.
    If it loads then experiment with dragging the edges to a larger window.
    If the game loads, then you can play but it will be very slow and laggy but at least you will know that the issue is your specs and not the game.

I use this technique when I travel on a non-spec laptop to be able to check the game.
    Good Luck.

Lord Aventine likes this.
  16. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

In the meantime before you upgrade - try and Turn off GPU occlusion in the video options - if GDOC is what’s causing your crash.

FarmerJack likes this.
  17. FarmerJack

FarmerJack Avatar

Are you running a desktop?
    As long as you do not have a proprietary mother board, you may be able to just upgrade the RAM and get a video card.

Curious why you are still running Windows 7.

18. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

you can run sota on setting lowest everything with that card and memory. it's still a great experience. the 50% load thing happens alot at low (?) memory also there is a windows thing that makes an 100% hard drive usage error, but it will eventually load past 50%. there's other t-shooting hints under the (many) 'stuck at 50%' forum posts

THE HENDOMAN

19. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

FYI even though it is better with minimum 6 gig nvidea video card, you can still improve some with a 2 or 4 gig nvidea video card. Those can be had for less than $100 if you shop around. Good Luck!

20. scottedwards2000

scottedwards2000 Avatar

Thanks, Majoria -- I hope to be able to join you guys soon! I have another laptop I can try it on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.