PVP work as solution to low population issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Antrax Artek, Apr 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Restless

Restless Avatar

Do you regularly go into retail stores asking about an advertised sale or event and expect a personal answer? I expect professional ones in line with the aforementioned company. In fact, if an employee makes a mistake, most businesses will still honor what was said by the employee. Even if it’s another 5% off or whatever. This professionalism isn’t just lacking in Catnip, it is absent.

2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Ohh damn you are right! If a store tries a 20% off sale and the next sale is 10%, clearly they are lying pricks, you are so darn right man a good thing you set me back on the right track haha!

Or you know when they decide to put one article on sale but not the other, CLEARLY that other article will never go on sale so I might as well buy the one currently on sale because it is the ONLY option, man, you are a life saver, imagine how dumb I would have been to actually think they could go and CHANGE things after a first attempt, how stupid I was.

Fister Magee likes this.
  3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Ummm, yes? Not sure of what your statement is pointing out.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  4. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I am an old style UO full loot PvPer but whenever I read these threads I am at a lose as to what people are looking for. And if it's not in Shroud what current game satisfies what people are after. I dont know any and if they existed I would be playing it so point me in the right direction.

In UO we had no fancy systems, no uber gear, no arenas. What we had was guild rivalry. Hours of fights at yew gate, Buccaneers Den and in dungeons. I never thought people who killed people mining or gathering wood as real PvPers as it was too easy of a kill because most miners never carried gear or regs.

Other early games and current games that emphasizes gear and levels just make PvP too hard to balance and frightens people about losing that uber item they got farming a raid or paid a ton of in game gold for.

The best PvP has always been created by the players in an open world setting.

5. Jackrabbit

Jackrabbit Avatar

The game started at open world pvp, and actually had a player base, so it was easier for random and planned pvp to happen since there was no trammel in the beginning.
    Later, when trammel was introduced, we also had content worth fighting over, with power scrolls and stat scrolls from the champ spawns and harrower. Without a reason to go to a pvp zone, what is there worth fighting over? We did the guild rivalry thing already, but it didn't last long with only 2 guilds fighting. It's really hard to have even casual pvp when there are so few players playing the game. If @Chris would actually focus on finishing core systems in the game like maps, questing, etc instead of working on 'specialization synergies', maybe we could retain a new player or two.

6. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

7. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Yes the hay day of PvP for me in UO was pre trammel for sure. The introduction of Champ Spawns and Harrower were ok but bringing in arties and a system to insure items ruined what could of been fun. Plus the player base was pretty low that zergs were the only ones getting things done.

Part of the problem is definitely the population but the other issues to me is gear dependent and level gap in Shroud. We were told early on that this games power curve would be flatten around skill 80 and much more so after 100. But that simply does not seem to be the case. I don't believe an equally equipped level 80 can compete with an equally equipped level 100+. Then you throw in gear it makes it more challenging to balance this all out.

So many MMO players love to see progress in levels and/or gear that it is an expected part of these games which always messes with balance. Crafting and player run economies fail because of it. In UO I bought the same gear from the same crafter in bulk.. 50 deadly poisoned kryss and regular leather armor sets. So I had bags in my bank ready to put on when I died. We don't have that anymore. It is like damn I might lose this uber arty I farmed months for or spent Zillions for. I say lets get back to basics and the PvP might make a come back.

Violet Ronso and Gorthyn like this.
  8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

haha, you keep hangin in there buddy I find your optimism cute ;).

imop a major improvement to the bloodbay expierence is where they shoulda spent time fixing. So many months and man hours wasted on That zone and it’s not even close to being utilized (that’s a generous statement it’s actually abandoned by players and devs) . Full loot and better rewards and insentives to go to that one island could do major work to fix the pvp problem. A Pvp choke point with rewards is what this game needed - a mini battle ground.

honestly at this point .......

well good luck to ya antrax.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    Fister Magee and Violet Ronso like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.