Packaging XP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Parson Barr, May 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

Per one of the recent streams (maybe Friday's) I heard Catnip is toying with the idea of packaging XP so users can give it away. Logically this should be built so it makes sense. You can't mine a node and someone else get the XP unless they are there learning from you by being present or in some way absorbing your knowledge.

What makes more sense is the XP goes into your pool. To package it up and sell it just treat it like you've written a book on how to be a better miner. Catnip can provide a way to create these XP books on a crafting station. Maybe like creating a scroll. Then you can sell/donate excess XP.

And I'm sure this could in no way be exploited. :rolleyes:

Just some random thoughts.
    PB

Black Tortoise likes this.
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

What? Just what? Catnip is looking to allow us to SELL exp? :confused:o_O (where is my belch emote here?). The exp from bundles was already bad IMO, but now a way to officially sell it directly from your pool? What the actual ****...

Hey everyone? Whats the hot new game that I'll feel more at home? Looking for something more similar to Shroud than WOW, can't stand the WOW type games, but I deffinately can't stand actually selling exp from your pool so WOW would actually be better than what this game will be when this happens... Gonna start looking right away to not be stuck with nothing to play when this happens...

Feel free to tag me with your suggestions!

Boris Mondragon and Vaiden Luro like this.
  3. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

My understanding from listening to the stream was that the "Books of Learning" would replace the XP that was recently added to supply bundles. So you'd be getting a book from a bundle and would be able to trade the book. I didn't hear anything about getting books from nodes or other inappropriate spots.

4. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

The books are already in the game. The only known source for these books currently are Supply Bundles:

[​IMG]

craftymethod, Rentier and Bedawyn like this.
  5. Silberfarn

Silberfarn Avatar

Hello @Oakenhammer,

I did loot one XP-Book (uncommon) from the chest in front of the bed in the elven room with the 10k elven fighter and the spider in Tartarus, the room behind the elven youth hostel room with all the chests and beds. SO not only bundles, but some chest drops as well.

Silberfarn

Rentier and Alley Oop like this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I think that chest particular chest uses the same loot list as blue supply bundles, so it may just be an oversight. Not sure if any other chests in the game do.

Rentier and Alley Oop like this.
  7. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

If trading xp can be exploited this game won’t be able to claim it’s not pay to win anymore.

Xiones, Cordelayne and Violet Ronso like this.
  8. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

As clarification, "pay to win" is an economic model where the game developer (Catnip, in this case), sells power to players, such that the more cash people spend, the more powerful they are. Other than a couple of items developed as rewards for the Kickstarter, namely prosperity tools and expert crafting stations, the company does not sell power. The cash purchases in the game are cosmetic in nature and I don't foresee Catnip changing that approach.

If hypothetically, players are able to package up experience they earn in-game and sell it to another player, that is just the economics of the game and has nothing to with the concept of "pay to win."

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That's splitting hairs a bit. By turning xp into a commodity that can be traded or sold, combined with the ability to buy in-game currency with real money, it does (albeit indirectly) allow a pay to win situation.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

And obsidian potions.

11. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

All those offer a minor benefit, and are useable by everyone who can reach them (meaning literally everyone since any market town has a crafting pavilion with +5 stations). The potions are the closest thing, but their benefits are both minimal and often useless (50% sprint cost anyone?).

But this packaging exp bullcrap means someone could DAY 1 buy 1b adventuring experience and already be in the top players of the game in terms of power, might not mean they are going to be good, but they just skipped one of the biggest power sources, and the only one that was not purchasable before...

I'll be honest, these exp book drops annoy me a little, but if the day comes where I can actually package my exp and sell it, trust me, I am selling my whole pool and going elsewhere for real, that is the worst thing I've heard in a game, and to think this is the one that would do it, once again, where is my belch emote on the forums.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The Obsidian Potion of Stamina is not so worthwhile but other notable examples are:
    • Obsidian Potion of Capacity
    • Obsidian Potion of Conservation
    • Obsidian Potion of Expedience
    • Obsidian Potion of Guidance
    • Obsidian Potion of Reclamation
    • Obsidian Potion of Precision
    • Obsidian Potion of Preservation
    So, pretty much all the other potions are worthwhile.

13. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

What color, Oakenhammer?
    (I opened no Supply Bundles for months ...)

What exactly are they doing?
    Thank you for any information about :)

Rentier likes this.
  14. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Supply bundles can not drop experience, with every color of bad having a chance to give more experience than the previous. Instead of having the exp directly in your pool, you loot a book which can be consumed for the experience, but also tradeable.

Rentier and Paladin Michael like this.
  15. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

The Uncommon books ones came from the Yellow supply bags and the common ones came from Grey.

Rentier and Paladin Michael like this.
  16. Loki the Cat

Loki the Cat Avatar

Violet Ronso,
    Not a new game by any metric but...
    I find Dungeons and Dragons Online to be a good game.
    It has very little to offer in the way of PVP but is excellent for PVE co-op and solo.
    It also provides years worth of dungeons and areas with more being added monthly or even weekly.
    These dungeons along with having a base level also have 5 basic selectable difficulty modes with the highest mode "Reaper" consisting of 10 level settings and they range from dungeons you can do in 2 mins to ones that will take you all day long.
    The company that made it "Turbine" is the same that pioneered modern MMORPG's with Asherons Call aka the game that Everquest and WOW were made to compete with and the reason Sony skipped alot of beta testing and released Everquest full of bugs.
    Turbine (now Standing Stone) does insane Alpha and Beta testing that lasts for years and as a result bugs are rare and normally only known about from the patch notes as what bugs there are get taken care of instantly the rare times they do make it off the public test server.
    There is a store and 2 premium currencies but nothing pay to win and everything can be earned including those currencies in game through normal play.
    This is not neverwinter or some other crap DnD game this game was made with the help of Dave the world builder and Gary master of the dungeon and features Gary Gygax doing DM voiceovers for a number of quests as well as other celebrity DM's.
    If any of this has peaked your interest or if you played it in the past but haven't looked in on it in awhile I'd suggest going to DDOWIKI to get a better picture as it has literally everything there is to know about the game including detailed info on things not even implemented yet and is just hands down a amazing wiki in its self.
    Just a heads up though the character customization options are extensive as there are a ton of races as well as classes, subclasses, universal skill trees, multi classing , etc as well as the ability to perform 6 kinds of reincarnation to restart or respec your toon while giving it various past life bonuses or learnable skills.
    Last thought before I finish this over long post, if like me you have wished to play a rogue but haven't found a game were Rogue skills don't suck this may be the game for you as traps are plentiful and rogues can find and disarm them as well as build their own from the scavenged parts in addition stealth works and is useful, sneak attack can be brutal, and when you assassinate something it actually dies instead of just turning around after you stick your knife through its spine and kick your ass.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  17. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

Bad enough that you can buy Cotos and sell them for gold in game, to become a millionaire and buy what you need in game.

Don't me break out my Soap Box

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You don't need crowns to become a millionaire.

[​IMG]

I's a bit hard to read but that's 2,394,844. All of that came from killing mobs, harvesting resources, doing quests and selling what I don't need to tag-match NPCs.

Anpu and Paladin Michael like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.