hello few questions

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Sly Hunter, May 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sly Hunter

Sly Hunter Avatar

I bought the game approximately 6 years ago and until now did not have a computer capable of playing it.
    Deleted my toon and created a new toon by the same name, Sly Hunter
    Now I want to create a sneak backstabbing treasure stealing thief. but distract wont work. the wolves ignore it and I kill them in like three blows now so barely get a dodge out to train. waited too late to figure out to backstab you need to follow the subterfuge limb of the tree.

2. is there a place to get clued in on quests. I like to do all the quests before I leave a area so I'm in the first area your created in trying to finish some quests even though I'm overpowered now.

Ysold and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Hey Sly, welcome back(ish)!

For Distract, my question is are you simply trying to train it or actually use it? For the training, I've found that doing it in town with a few animals usually works the best, you wont get a skill gain every cast, but it will train slowly that way! If your goal is to use it, make sure the mob is unaware of your presence (use silent movement preferably), and use the distract skill to send mobs TOWARDS where you cast it. Important thing to note, unless this was fixed, Distract only works on 1 mob at a time!

For Backstab, yes, you need to work on subterfuge, but you will get to it. I had a guildmate who used to play, and his entire build revolved around backstabbing to either get a 1shot or a VERY weak mob to kill. It does work, you just need to figure out how to make it work, I never actually played much with a stealth gameplay so I don't know!

For clues on quest, if you are looking for them, look for NPC's that wave their hand with blue sparkle, those are the NPC's with quests to give. Meanwhile, once you are on the quest, either your Journal (J is default hotkey), or quest guides (available on forums or youtube) will help you clear them, the journal will usually just give you hints, while the youtube vids will show you the solution!

Good luck, and don't hesitate if you have more questions!

majoria70 and that_shawn_guy like this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

For the 3 Outskirts areas I have guides for them here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ting-started-the-outskirts-and-beyond.161220/

The Daily Quests are here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-list-of-daily-quests.160888/

For the various Blessings and banners is here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ons-to-puzzles-treasure-hunts-spoilers.61625/

For the Main Quest here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...tues-path-of-the-oracle-shroud-quests.157869/

For the rest of the side quests spread around, just be sure to speak to NPC's, and when speaking to them, click or manually type the word help and if they do have a quest, that will start it. Other quests will also just start by speaking to them and saying other things too.

4. crummel

crummel Avatar

Do yourself a favor and travel. And return. Go back and forth.

I've had a friend in a different game who refused to leave a zone until he had done each and every quest, and was completely ignorant to the fact that some quests need you to run errands to other zones or are meant to be done at a later point. No, he preferred to grind until his char was strong enough, and then, when he finally had moved on to the next zone, he complained that everything was too easy.

Here it is the same - Anpu mentioned the 3 outskirt areas. All three questlines sooner or later require you to go to scenes that are tier 5+, which either means you need a group or stop and come back later. Maybe go and harvest ore, wood, cotton or other resources, which will lead to getting adventure XP too, and do some crafting.

You came a bit late to profit from an XP multiplier boost that just recently ended and that would have helped you to progress faster.

Alley Oop likes this.
  5. Sly Hunter

Sly Hunter Avatar

Right now I'm looking for a guild. Preferably a large guild who likes to help noobies. I have a deed I want to put up a house plot and perhaps a salesman on the lot. But I don't know how or where to put it. landlease row house non water.
    so far the world seems a bit empty. trying to stay away from tier 3 content while trying to do the quests. and it seems you can screw up a quest by selling or deleting an item you thought was worthless. Not all quest items are highlited in yellow like they should be.
    great graphics but so far it doesn't reach the hype of a Lord British game. Maybe later it will.

6. crummel

crummel Avatar

Indeed. I was able to advance quest progress in the Blood River questline by traveling from Etceter to Xenos without getting the item the Captain wanted me to get for him, which resulted in the Elf not wanting to talk to me. Quite a blocker...

Sorry, can't help you with guilds, I play solo mostly, so far.

7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome, Sly!

8. Sly Hunter

Sly Hunter Avatar

More questions can I ask in General?
    How does decking work. Having to fight with random cards in random slot sounds stupid to me.
    I want macros.\
    Can I alternate between two heals in the 0 slot, or maybe combo them.
    I like the combo between thrust and the first or thrust and double hit into big time dot and quadruple hits. But nothing I try makes the combo card accessible to the bottom line where I draw my combat choices from :(
    I wanted a sneaky backstabby thief, doing blade and light armor but there aren't enough spaces on the line to do all my commands on.\
    I like sneaking in sapping one guy, bsing the second finishing him then going back after the first guy. It would be hard to do that and keep dodge and parry.

9. Sly Hunter

Sly Hunter Avatar

How do I change my profile pic. says need developer status, for a profile pic?

10. Sly Hunter

Sly Hunter Avatar

how do you sneak in the dark if your light cancels your sneak?

11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

night vision, moon tree

12. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

13. Sly Hunter

Sly Hunter Avatar

Night vision? I want it. how do I get it. go to moon tree?

14. crummel

crummel Avatar

Alley Oop likes this.
  15. Powersurge

Powersurge Avatar

Sly,

Your questions about deck building cannot be answered in a few sentences or paragraphs. Deckbuilding effectively is a training course that will take minutes to use...but weeks to understand and implement effectively. My advice is to find a mentor in whatever guild you find and ask tons of questions. Folks are friendly here and they will help you anyway they can.

16. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Hi ya Sly.
    Here is a link list that has all kinds of stuff to help: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/rinaldis-list-of-useful-links.75512/
    In that link list is a section on "Combat, Deck Building, & Character Builds" - which gives details and strategies for deck building.
    For your build, consider this info:

Level up the following skills:
    Silent movement (Subterfuge tree) - allows stealthy movement.
    Backstab skill (Subterfuge tree) - innate skill that increases the damage done when attacking from behind.
    Sneak Attack (subterfuge tree) - Damage is increased substantially if you use this skill when behind an opponent and when you are stealthed (e.g. silent movement is active).
    Night vision (moon tree) - as suggested above by Alley Oop, you can use this skill to see in the dark. If you have light creating skills active (e.g. Sun & fire skills) you lose your stealth.
    Fireflies (moon tree) - increases critical hit damage.
    Maybe consider Subterfuge specialization - increases silent movement duration, adds chance to mesmerize a target hit with a sneak attack

Items/gear that may help
    Leather Bandit leggings - among other buffs, it gives attack from behind damage bonus (uncommon tier = +10%, rare tier = +12.5%, legendary tier =+15%?)
    Leather bandit boots - among other buffs, it gives +100% silent movement duration
    cutlass of the swashbuckler - +25% sneak attack damage, +25 pickpocket cooldown reduction (you can enchant and socket this item to give even more buffs on it)

There is more you can do...but this may help with the initial creation of your build.
    I used to cast silent movement & night vision, creep up behind a monster...cast a 5 stack of fireflies, then unload a 5 stack of backstab with a cutlass of the swashbuckler...and lay down a massive critical hit.
    However, if you cannot kill the monster with one hit, you gotta be prepared to fight with another strategy. Mine was try to stun it (there are several skills that can do this), then hit with 3 stacks of rends with poison applied to get damage over time. Then stun and slash until death (i had blades specialization).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  17. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Check with The Jade Dragons - they are a good bunch.

18. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

19. Gyzarus

Gyzarus Avatar

I made the YouTube video on combat interface and deck system understanding you may check my channel Alphaine Nine

20. SilverSerp

SilverSerp Avatar

Hi there!
    Some newbie questions:
    Is there a statistic for my character avaible? How long i played the game, how many monsters i killed, what quest i solved etc.?
    Is there an ingame player-search function aviable?

Thx!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.