SotAwiki Update Thread

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Browncoat Jayson, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Madio

Madio Avatar

Rentier and Browncoat Jayson like this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

@Alley Oop (and others):

The Salvage category has some ~540 items in it, many of which return eternal patterns, but which I havn't had the time to add info on yet. To help fill these details in, I've modified the Salvage template so if it links to a item that doesn't exist in the wiki, it automatically adds a category of Salvage item missing. This should propagate overnight to fill out a list of (mostly) missing patterns. Hopefully that helps with projects to locate them all.

Rentier likes this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Correct; I believe the Taming Collar recipe was changed in ~R64-65 to use bindings and straps directly, instead of requiring an Animal Collar as a subingredient. I've added the remoted note to both them item and recipe. Thanks for the reminder.

Rentier and Anpu like this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

ones crafted previously can still exist and they made a second discoverable recipe for taming collars to use them up. i would not suggest removing the item or the new recipe unless you're sure no leftover stock exists

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    Rentier likes this.
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There could be a very clear note saying these items can no longer be crafted and are replaced by the new items, and then a link to the item that replaces this.

This would help eliminate any confusion when visiting those pages.

Rentier and Alley Oop like this.
  6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

so these are for pages where the item page exists but the pattern page does not? aren't all eternal pattern pages going to be the same? icon, weight, value, link back to the item?

Rentier likes this.
  7. Browncoat Jayson

We don't delete things from the wiki. It either moves to the replacement, if something changes, or is marked as removed. Either way, we generally add a note indicating the change.

8. Browncoat Jayson

Yes, they just haven't been added yet. I made the new category to make it easier for me to find the missing items.

At some point, I need to go through all the patterns and add a link to the icon of the patterned item.

Rentier and Alley Oop like this.
  9. Browncoat Jayson

So in the last couple days, I've made the Item Infobox able to pull two icons, so patterns can show both the generic pattern icon and the icon of the item they mimic. If the itemtype=Pattern and the item's icon is named correctly, it even pulls it automatically, otherwise you can override it with patternicon=(filename). Furthermore, I've gone through all of the items in that Missing Salvage category and created their patterns.

Just to compare, there were 360 results last time I ran this query. Now, there are 840. And I know there are still some items that are missing.

Rentier, Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
  10. Silvermink

Silvermink Avatar

The recipe lists for the various crafting professions gives a 403 error when trying to access more than the 2nd page. I'm sorry if this has been reported before, but I wasn't in the mood to read 48 pages. :)

Bedawyn and Rentier like this.
  11. Browncoat Jayson

I rarely use those, so I hadn't noticed. It looks like its doing this for just about all of the query results that open in a new page. I'll see what I can do to fix this, but I'm not sure yet what is causing it.

12. Browncoat Jayson

I've verified this isn't just the templates we use, but possibly a configuration issue. I've reached out to the guys who have access to our server to see if they can fix it. Thanks for the heads up.

Rentier likes this.
  13. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Thanks so much for checking on this! It's a frequent problem for me, that is so closely tied to all the query results that I took it for granted you were already aware of the problem. It's also tied to the never-delete-items issue. You try to look for recipe results, but can only ever pull up the first two pages, and half of the items listed on those pages are no longer actual recipes, but there's no indication of that in the search results. You have to click through to the recipe to find out that it's a useless link -- useful for archival information, sure, but that's not what people are going to be looking for when they try to pull up recipes. Combine the two issues -- limited results and useless results -- and the resulting lists are really less than helpful for someone trying to find recipes. The skills that have limited recipes to begin with work okay, but for skills with lots of recipes, you can't use the wiki to find them unless you already know exactly what they're named (and if you knew that, you probably wouldn't be looking for them!). And, as you say, it's not just recipes -- it's all the lists that have more than 2 pages of results. So you can't find things that way either. Still, at least it's better than last summer, when it was breaking after the first page of results.

Anyway, I checked the thread today to see if there was a known problem with logins? The wiki had me logged me out (despite cookies for that site being kept) and won't let me log back in; says: "There seems to be a problem with your login session; this action has been canceled as a precaution against session hijacking." Never seen that happen before; any idea what to do?

Rentier likes this.
  14. Browncoat Jayson

I may be able to modify our template to exclude removed pages. That would help.

That's a new one for me as well. You could try deleting cookies/temporary files, or removing the password from your browser or password manager and re-adding it. I havn't seem that specific message tho. We may be updating our wiki software to fix the query paging issue, so this might fix this as well (depending on where the issue lies).

Rentier, Bedawyn and Anpu like this.
  15. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

That would be great, but if it's not feasible, another option would be to add another column to the table, with a symbol or word to tell us whether the list item was current content or archival. That would at least allow us to see at a glance whether the link was worth clicking through to. Either way, thank you so much for looking at this! I use those lists regularly to look for discoverable recipes.

I was able to log in again today -- some more research makes it look like a mediawiki issue, probably triggered by something stupid in the latest Opera update. Hopefully, it was a fluke that won't happen again.

Rentier likes this.
  16. Browncoat Jayson

It turns out its harder than I thought (I can't exclude a category, but I can exclude a specific property). I'm investigating using this now, otherwise I'll look at adding a row.

Rentier, Anpu and Bedawyn like this.
  17. Browncoat Jayson

@Bedawyn I figured out how to get this to work. The {{Removed}} template is now adding a property to the page that I can query on. The recipe list will now check for that property and, if present, strike out the name and show removed. This allows us to keep things discoverable, but not make it look like a valid result.

[​IMG]

It will take a full propogation of the data, so expect all of the removed recipes to have this notion added in the next couple days.

Rentier, Anpu, Bedawyn and 1 other person like this.
  18. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Huzzah! That will be a huge help. And it's a much better solution than my symbol-in-a-column idea.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Rentier likes this.
  19. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  20. Browncoat Jayson

Looks like all three of these are references to that same room, just named differently in screenshots from the old Add-on Store. Moved the images and changed them to redirectors.

This one was apparently a duplicate of Single Connection Stone Dungeon Foyer. Moved the image and made it a redirector.

Rentier and Bedawyn like this.