SotAwiki Update Thread

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Browncoat Jayson, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

It looks like this is working. I've added the same functionality to the Item Search and Item Variation queries, so hopefully that will help reduce inaccuracy.

The cause of the query paging function is still being looked at. There seems to be a http/https redirect issue that might be causing the login issues and some of the style discrepancies. It sounds like we may be getting a new version of the wiki software installed to see if that fixes it, so if there is a short downtime that is likely the cause. I'll post here when I know more.

Elgarion, Bedawyn, Anpu and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

While checking dye recipes tonight, I noticed that the Creosote page has an incorrect icon. Following the link to see if I could correct it, I saw it links to the image for the Jar of Vinegar, which itself has an interesting revision history, showing that the correct creosote image (the small clear bottle with a neck) is in the Sotawiki database somewhere. However, the infobox for the creosote itself doesn't actually say what image it links to or show any way to disconnect it from the vinegar pic?

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Looks like the Creosote_icon.png page was a redirect to the Jar_of_Vinegar_icon.png file. I deleted the redirect and uploaded the image again to that location. Not sure if these shared an icon at one point and never got separated, but they are split now.

4. Thunderstump

Thunderstump Avatar

Hello, I noticed that the icon of Creosote was broken on all the vendors as the name was Creosote_Icon.png. I re-uploaded it as Creosote.png and added the tags needed for it to show up in the vendor lists.

I'm new to the forum and the game and didn't find this post until after. So let me know if I did something incorrectly. My aim was to update the Vendorlists, because I noticed many items are outdated. The bottle looks at least very similar to in game to me, but if someone has a new icon file, they should easily be able to update to a new version and the code should work.

Where is the best place to get the icon-files? I noticed "Wooden Taming Necklace" doesn't exist at all, and I would like to add it.

Rentier likes this.
  5. Browncoat Jayson

For some reason, there was code to use {{PAGENAME}}.png as the icon, but by default we use {{PAGENAME}}_icon.png. I removed the unnecessary code and it fixed the issue, so I've deleted the duplicate file you uploaded.

Its been a while since since I went through the vendors, so any help is appreciated. For new items, you can create the page and once the icon is uploaded it will link up. If the icon already exists (for example, if it uses the same icon as the Animal Whistle icon), you can override it on the new item page by adding "icon=Animal_Whistle_icon.png" to the Infobox Item code.

If you can't find the icon, let me know. I got a set of images from Chris to go through last year, but it doesn't include a lot of newer items. I've asked about a new set, but havn't gotten anything yet. I know there were some unused icons in that set tho, so its possible I have it and just don't know.

Rentier and Anpu like this.
  6. Thunderstump

Thunderstump Avatar

Oh, weird. The ones I was looking at didn't have the _icon added. I was trying to mimic how this one was set up: http://sotawiki.net/sota/File:Iron_Ore.png.

It has:
    {{Infobox Item
    |name={{PAGENAME}}
    |icon={{PAGENAME}}.png
    |weight=0.4 <!-- Optional: In-game weight of the item. -->
    |value=5 <!-- Optional: In-game resale value of the item. -->
    }}

Is there a guide page somewhere on how to add an item properly and what to think about? Or if you can give me a link to an item that is definitely correctly set up and I can use that as a base. I was looking around, but I'm uncertain what is outdated or not. I'm having trouble knowing if something shares an icon since I just started playing. But "Wooden Taming Necklace" does not share icon with "Animal Icon Whistle" from what I can see.

Rentier and Bedawyn like this.
  7. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Just raising my hand to ditto this! There's this page but it hasn't been updated since 2014, and I still see a fair amount of inconsistency between pages and things that look like they need fixing, but where I can't tell for sure that it's not really "working as intended."

Even on my own wiki, I never messed with infoboxes and templates without having my cheat sheet open next to me, unless I was adding so many pages in a row there was no possibility at all that I'd mis-remember and do something inconsistently. On SOTAWiki, by the time I find a page that should exist but doesn't, or that looks like it's set up incorrectly, I'm invariably already too tired to try to figure out which is the correct format, or how to fix an error that's buried in a query, or how to politely question the wiki founders on whether their decisions years ago made sense or not. When it's midnight and I don't have a cheatsheet handy and I'm faced with a problem page, I'm just going to sigh and go to bed instead of trying to fix it. :-(

Even when it's not midnight, I worked for years as a copyeditor; I'm pretty opinionated on the importance of stylesheets for reference. Heck, writing the stylesheets and templates was the funnest part of my wiki. I'd be happy to help make clearer instructions for new wiki contributers (as least as much as my recent brain mush allows), but being new to SOTA myself last year, it wasn't something I could start on without guidance from the wiki's Powers That Be (i.e., Jayson ;)).

Rentier likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Avatar

Sotawiki has gotten really slow for me. Takes 2-3 mins to load the main page. Anyone else experiencing this as well?

9. Thunderstump

Thunderstump Avatar

Edwin the Tanner in Soltown seems to have renamed a couple of his items.
    http://sotawiki.net/index.php?title=Edwin

Recipe: Leather Straps -> Recipe: Simple Leather Strap
    Recipe: Yard of Leather -> Recipe: Yard of Simple Leather

However, changing the item-name in his Vendorbox just seem to make the item disappear from the list. It's a bit confusing to not having it look exactly as in the game.
    What's the correct way to fix this. Do I edit the item in "Recipe: Yard of Leather" with a "name=Yard of Simple Leather". Or would it be better to create an entire new item with the new name?

Rentier likes this.
  10. Lained

Lained Avatar

Working just fine this end.

Nick likes this.
  11. Browncoat Jayson

There is a Getting Started page, which is linked from the home page. At the bottom are links to layouts, including the Item layout. Thats a fairly good start. Additional information is on the Infobox template page; note that not ALL of the possible overrides are listed, mostly because they have been added piecemeal as things have come up.

Iron Ore is probably a horrible example; I should go through and rename all of the icons at some point, but I just havn't got time at the moment.

If the item doesn't exist, the link won't be shown in query lists. So to fix this, you would need to use the Move option to rename "Yard of Leather" to "Yard of Simple Leather" (and the recipe; same for straps), then edit all the vendors to use that item name. (This is why I hate the way vendors work; there is no easy way to update them all at once.)

I need to check some things in-game tomorrow, so I'll verify and get those updated.

Rentier and Anpu like this.
  12. Thunderstump

Thunderstump Avatar

I did go through both the "Getting Started" and the "Item layout" pages. :)

But for example, the template states:
    [[Item name]] is a ...

But most other items I've found use:
    '''{{PAGENAME}}''' is a ...

Does this mean these should be replaced with the more hard coded [[Item name]]? Or should the template be updated to pagename?

How would I go about renaming the "Recipe: Yard of Leather". Is there an edit button that includes the pagename? Or do we work around it with a redirect?

Bedawyn likes this.
  13. Browncoat Jayson

These both effectively do the same thing. A link (aka [[Item name]]) to the same page makes it bold, which is what ''Item name'' does. {{PAGENAME}} replaces whatever is in brackets with the title of the page.

If you are signed in, click More at the top of the page and there is a Move option. Give it a new name, and it will move the page to the new name and leave a redirect with the old name. (I'm not sure what trust level this needs, so if you can't do it I'll get it done when I get back.)

Anpu and Rentier like this.
  14. Thunderstump

Thunderstump Avatar

Alright, that worked. It seems like the vendor pages got updated automatically. I went through them, and they all seem to list "Yard of Simple Leather" now, just by moving the item.

Browncoat Jayson, Rentier and Anpu like this.
  15. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

acara's armor set needs to be split into common/uncommon/rare/legendary. some pages exist, some do not, and some have redirects

existing pages:
    Acara's Plate Boots of Defiance, Common
    Acara's Plate Chest of Defiance, Common
    Acara's Plate Gauntlets of Defiance
    Acara's Plate Helm of Defiance
    Acara's Plate Leggings of Defiance
    Acara's Shield of Defiance, Common

Anpu and Browncoat Jayson like this.
  16. Browncoat Jayson

I set up placeholders for these, and the base item name redirects to the Common version. Just need to plug in the stats.

Rentier, Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
  17. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i have a few of them, i'll go look

Rentier likes this.
  18. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

I removed the skull tier difficulty from Brittany Graveyard, since this is an Exploration Area rather than an adventure area with a tier. It would be great if there was a category in the infobox specifically to identify scenes as either Exploration Areas, Adventuring Areas, or Towns.

The Outskirts in the wiki are marked as Tier 0. (They appeared that way in game when I first joined, but now show up simply as "Adventuring Areas", but that's not useful for people trying to sort by scene difficulty). However, they still show up with the full one-skull image in the infobox. Any chance we could get a half-skull image?

That would also help with scenes that are Tier X+ instead of Tier X difficulty. I'm not even sure exactly what the + indicates, but haven't worried about it in play because I find the skull difficulties inconsistent anyway. However, for the wiki, it would be helpful if we could sort the X+s separate after the Xs. (That is, Tier 3+ scenes should sort together after the regular Tier 3 scenes, etc.)

Rentier likes this.
  19. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

This is the sort of thing that I think really needs to be available on the Getting Started page for would-be editors, as well as more quick links for people who may not know (or as in my case, remember!) where to look for Special pages such as templates. I just added a page for the Hospital Gown, and had to come back here to find the link for the template, and even with it, I still couldn't figure out how to format the special stats for the hospital gown, so I just left the information in the text description. Also, while trying to find that info, I looked at several pages for different types of clothing and gear, and there seems to be very little consistency in how they're categorized. This is exactly the sort of guidance that new editors need.

I'd really like to discuss these things more fully; I don't know what decisions the wiki editors made in the past about things, so I can't just write up stylesheets and editorial policies willy-nilly. (Well, I could, but...)

20. Browncoat Jayson

I'll see what I can do to note scene types; that is something that is relatively recent, but its something we can go back to note for existing pages. I should be able to actually use a "Tier 0" and have it work, although I'm not sure how it will be sorted.

The "plus" scenes generally are those designated as "party required". There is an option "tierplus" to show it on the scene and in the lookup. They should sort after scenes without a plus, like it does here: http://sotawiki.net/sota/Scene_Difficulty

Anpu likes this.