What Do Decorators Want?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bedawyn, May 30, 2020.

Tags:
?

How do you feel about modern and eclectic (non-medieval fantasy) content added to the game?

1. Please, please, make it stop.

33.3%
  2. It bothers me a bit, but I can ignore it.

7.0%
  3. I don't care either way.

12.3%
  4. I enjoy some of it, but I'd still rather have medieval fantasy content.

28.1%
  5. I love the modern and eclectic stuff, but I wouldn't miss it if we had new medieval stuff instead.

8.8%
  6. Star Wars and beach towels for the win!

10.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Neon Dragons? Those are Aether.

[​IMG]
    Yes please!

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  2. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Hmm. I think this also boils down to "tools to create the environments we're visualizing." Which brings me back to "what environments do we want?"

So, everyone, could I redirect back to the original questions? The placement of the poll above the OP instead of below it kind of mis-directs attention. The real point of the thread was supposed to be:

If decorating is a significant part of your playstyle, what is it that you hope to get from SotA? Why are you here instead of in Second Life, the Sims, or some similar game? And is Portnip successfully giving you what you hoped to get?

Not what specific decorations you want or even what type of decorations you want, but deeper than that: What do you want out of the game? What would make you feel you're getting your money's worth and your time's worth?

3. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Honestly, I think you need to deal with the reality that a big selling point to this game is the Housing, Merchant Stores and deco system.

4. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Of course, I don't know what I might have said that made you think I'm against that? I'm all for them making money off that stuff. But they won't make enough money unless they're giving the decorators what they really want, so I'm asking what is it that they/we really want? Are the people who think the majority of us just want a constant stream of new deco and don't care about anything else right? Lots of games have stores, deco, and housing. What specifically draws decorating players to this game rather than others, and if Catnip truly is relying on the decorators for funding, are they successfully retaining us and getting us to spend? Are they successfully capitalizing on that, and if not, what else should they be doing specifically to get more decorator money?

Astirian likes this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Also: More placeable version of inventory items. Food items, reagents, animal heads, crafting components.

6. Dartan Obscuro

Dartan Obscuro Avatar

I enjoy the deco system. Here are my random thoughts.

I try to make my in game homes feel lived in so I prefer natural to the world deco than Star Wars. I also try to match themes when possible e.g. an elven bed in an elven house.

I really enjoy the game loop of going out on a quest where the award is a cool deco item like the hidden vale crystal ball.

Similarly, I enjoy crafting my own deco it creates my own game loop of wanting, gathering, crafting. The trophy fishing and various mounted heads pull me into those activities though the grind to get the fish / pristine head is frustrating.

I like to incorporate useful items e.g. a cooking station in a kitchen or a well on the farm. (Though wells aren't useful but would be if you could get 100 buckets every few seconds.)

Casks are cool because they're nice natural deco that actually does something.

I wish there were different styles of the crafting tables.

I wish I could apply cotos (like 100 not 1,000) to a crafted item to upgrade it to an ornate version.

I wish there were pile of dirt versions of the planters so my farm would look more like a farm.

I wish plant deco was really store purchased seeds (again 10 - 100 COTO not 1,000) to grow and keep for decoration or harvest for a component / dye.

I wish the turkey, rabbit, etc. spawners were part of a the agricultural system not just deco.

I wish the walls in houses weren't as thick and the layouts more natural. Quite a few have awkwardly shaped hallways and rooms which are hard to deco. I'd prefer no built in lights. Really it would be great if most home floors were minimally partitioned and we could build floor to ceiling walls as we see fit.

For fun, I wish the torture deco worked e.g. you could put a character on the rack.

I wish you could mix dyes to create different colors.

I wish if you leave a non-weather proof item outside it would damage and break (maybe into scrap and patterns). That would go a long way towards preventing immersion breaking player junkyards.

I wish there were bonuses for sleeping in a bed and eating while sitting at a table so players naturally interacted with more deco.

I wish they would allow us to keep tamed creatures in cages to create zoos. A whole new activity to collect one of each creature! And a whole new theme of deco.

7. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

I want more different styles of Armor/Patterns. Cloth seems to dominate more than Leather, Chain, and Plate armor when it comes to Patterns when you look at the crown store.

Vaiden Luro, Chemeck and Micmatty like this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

This.

9. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

From my perspective Id prefer thing that fit into the world. That said steam punk (Kobold tech) I think should be ok. Anything beyond that I am not in favor of myself.

10. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Okay, that's three folks who feel the poll is biased. What option(s) do you think are missing? I didn't include any that amount to "modern stuff is better than fantasy stuff" because I figured this is fantasy game, we can debate how much to dilute the fantasy content but can't completely redirect the course of the milieu. If I went to a cat cafe, I could ask how many people there also liked dogs, but asking how many didn't like cats would be kinda pointless 'cause those folks wouldn't be hanging out at a cat cafe in the first place.

Astirian likes this.
  11. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

Gun Powder and Muskets, High Damage, slow reload. and that is it.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  12. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I saw the bunny slippers update and pretty much stopped subbing and playing after that to be honest. It just totally wrecked the vibe for me.

In fact it seems like they used to try and practise a modicum of restraint but now it's like they don't care, it's like anything goes.

But then, I can't really comment because I see what happened in UO and it makes me glad I left when I did.

I love the deco aspect but there's always been a bunch of stuff I kind of grind my teeth at. I just hid in a small NPC town and went about trying to be consistent with my own deco efforts.

Maybe I'm just not into LB games anymore.

13. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

The slippers I thought were funny, but agree that they dont fit in. That said I do have them next to my bed in my house just for fun. some fluff items are ok even though they dont fit. look at all the helmets / masks that dont fit.

14. Prada

Prada Avatar

I want to be able to search across all properties, and whether or not an item is on a wall or in a box or on a character...

I want to be able to see what I have and where it is!

Bedawyn and Xee like this.
  15. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I agree it would be nice to be able to see everything you own in a list as well approximate location like in this property in this town.

Prada and Boris Mondragon like this.
  16. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I will add my two cents.

Deco has its use to me when it comes to my Pirate galleon. I want it to look like a warship, crew (mannequins). The rest of it gets old real quick.

How about new looks on faces and hairstyles? How about some trebuchets and catapults that actually fire and do damage? How about crafted battlement with granite and wood. Finally how about using all but the aesthetic stuff to wage war?

Let me know when this comes about and I will spend some coin in their store. I am here for ship battles, territorial conquest and war. R/Boris/El Pirata

Prada and Xee like this.
  17. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

how about ability to make mannequins NPC's that you can dress up and use inky and have them patrol or more.

I also think we need more interactive things like cannons and the likes that work and even banners for pvp capture the flag to allow for more player created games.

18. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother; I agree 100 pct. This game needs a shot of adrenaline, make it a double. R/Boris/El Pirata

Prada likes this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I thought this thread was about decorating?

Prada and Bedawyn like this.
  20. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Very good input here, folks! We've taken much of this to heart, so expect some variance in the types of rewards going forward that are a more balanced approach between intriguing gear, immersive decorations, and vanity/fun items. Please do keep in mind, vanity/fun items do generate revenue for us, so we're not going to drop making them entirely by any means, so please do expect those to be added to the store periodically as well. In the coming months, I hope you're very pleased what Damon (the artist) cooks up for you. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.