Scaling Difficulty

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Cora Cuz'avich, May 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

[Posted this in another thread, but I wanted it to have its own thread so the feedback didn't get missed.]

I really enjoy this. I have so far only bothered with the tier 7 (easy) version, but this is a difficulty I've been longing for. It's hard enough that it isn't a cakewalk at my level, but I'm not getting destroyed, either. The mobs XP is decent enough, and the resource nodes have been bumped to tier 5, so that's worthwhile too. (Especially no that we get xp for meticulous.) The only complaint i have is I'd like to see some obsidian beasties thrown in here and there, since their carcasses are more useful than higher level ones, since they're basically the same that drop from low level version. Especially the deer, no reason they can't be obsidians.

Anpu and Violet Ronso like this.
  2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Man, we tried out the extreme one. OH MY, boars with 120k hp, one shotting people, yep its HARD. I liked it

3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Slight change in my enjoyment: I didn't realize the mobs are still giving the same XP they did in the tier 2 original version. Nodes, however, appear to be giving tier 5 XP. So when they fix that, I'll like this scene.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Also, the scene breaks a lot when you gather resources. And the pirates are unlootable.

Other than all that, I love it!

5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

On the other hand... was that a brand new piece of music playing in the bazaar area @Elgarion? Or have I just somehow never heard it before two and a half years? Because it was pretty awesome!

Barugon likes this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

(For the record, when I went through again later, I got a piece of music that I have heard before, so if you hear one there that's familiar, don't assume I'm crazy. Yet, anyway.)

7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Great addition to the game!

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I wasn't going to bother this scene until they get the XP worked out but I might check this out.

9. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I'm assuming this will be utilised in other areas too to scale things down for certain scenes?

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Build Number 1227 – May 31th 3:00PM

Updates
    • Dynamic Difficulty creature names updated to represent relative difficulty
    • Adjustments to dynamic difficulty creatures to lower their strength and health and increase XPs at higher levels
    The latest updates on just this.

11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I asked on Discord, apparently there are a few pieces of music that are used very rarely, it may be one of those. Or not, there's no way of really checking unless a dev confirms one way or the other. But it'll be a great gathering scene once they fix the adventurer XP, and fix the 3/4 of the nodes in the scene that cause a bug which requires quitting the game. It's actually not bad at the moment, TBH, if you know which nodes to avoid, since all the "good" ones seem to be in the same area. Though, I think maple tress are broken; they don't seem to be respawning.

Barugon likes this.
  12. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Haha, I noticed my game mechanics (looting, using skills, harvesting) got borked as I approached the Blimp. I jumped up to the path there and things started getting wonky. I really thought it was a game mechanic at first - that there was something silencing me completely. Oh well, maybe some other time we'll be frustrated like that and it isn't a bug (or something that makes you think its a bug but is just messing with you). :)

13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, it's all goofy. The pirate mobs can be killed, but can't be looted. and there aren't any on the airship, or in the tomb where you use the sword. No mobs in the final tomb or the tomb where the blessing is. The maple tress aren't respawning. Skeleton Archer only have 47 health. Basically all the nodes except the ones in the SE portion of the map cause that bug. And if you try going into any other scene after the bug activates, it'll stall at 94% loading. Other than all that, it's exciting and fun! It's just too bad we don't have a QA server to test all this on before it goes live.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Bedawyn likes this.
  14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It appears today's 3pm patch has improved the XP. Well, for razorbacks, at least. Will report on other mobs shortly.

[EDIT] Skeleton archmages are better as well. Though, I don't know off hand what they should be dropping. But it's a little less than 2k now, as opposed to the 228 they were dropping previously. These are slightly weaker archmages than those found elsewhere, about 1200k health.

Maple trees appear to be respawning as well. Not sure if that's due to the patch, or just resetting the scene by logging out to install the patch.

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Though, it now appears that the harvesting bug can be triggered by skinning. It happened while trying to skin a ferocious razorback.

16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

The patch does appear to have fixed most of the gathering nodes. Other than the one time skinning a ferocious razorback, I have hit every node I've come across and not had the bug. This is an excellent scene for gathering, especially wood. I wish there were more maples, but still, lotsa trees around.

[Edit] The ore nodes up by the airship ladder are still glitched.

I hope the plan is to apply this to other existing scenes, with "easy" being the current version, and the others going higher. So a current tier 3 scene would also have maybe a t5, t7, and t10 version, or something like that. Newer scenes would go t7-t20 like the bazaar. Every time I ran through Souht Midmaer to get the blessing, I'd think, "man, this would be a great gathering place, if the nodes weren't all t1-t2." So many other scenes would be cool places to go if the xp or resources were worth it.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I tried mining one of these. After I was done, no window opened, the pickaxe stayed in my hands and I couldn't use any skills. I exited to the menu and tried to start on world map and the client hung. Ultimately, I had to hard-kill the client.

18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yep, that's the bug. If you leave the scene, and try entering any other scene, that also causes the game to freeze. Seems to only be a few nodes now, though. I haven't tried any up by the airship proper, just on the ground where the ladder to it is. (Or any coconut nodes, because there's a crap-ton of them, and I don't really care.) I added these notes to the four or five bug reports people have filed.

19. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

This and more mob variation (i.e., newer mobs) would crowd a lot of places. If the POT's could talk, they'd be like, "Where'd everyone go?" :)

20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Though, I'd rather get something entirely new. Almost all our new mobs in the last two years have been retextures of newer ones.

Violet Ronso likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.