1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Fishing Cloak/ Bait Recovery

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by ultimaonline77, May 31, 2020.

?

Should this be available to everyone?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Browncoat Jayson How, exactly, do you make gold fishing - and - what, exactly gets "created there" ?

2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Salvaging junk that you fish up and butchering fish, mostly. And I was referring to crafting gear that nobody buys at reasonable prices.

Anpu likes this.
  4. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Looking at the baits the wrong way

Here is the value

In-game right now

Fishing Stores with Bait Vendors
    Saving up rare baits for use in the fishing contests
    Handing out 100x Herring/Leech/Hopper as part of a prize reward for fishing events,
    Etc..

You have a crappy day fishing. After a couple hours all you've got is a bunch of Trout/Salmons, Amberjacks/Mahi, and Clothing.
    With special baits, you catch and take home something worth keeping virtually every time you fish.

It adds fun when you catch a rare bait like a Blood Leech.

I could go on but the point is

Special Bait was a good idea as both a loot drop and game mechanic - that can easily be built on / added to in the future.

What in the flying ....... is the point of trivializing it by allowing 100% Bait Recovery lol

#2 - The Gold and recipe ingredients that come out of fishing are a rounding error

No idea why this is the approach

Playing the game as a fisherman could be just as viable as anything else

As far as the fishing cloaks, I like this idea of creating unique items to contribute to player events.

Prob better off leaving them as aesthetic.

Cyin, FrostII and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  5. Net

Net Avatar

Well, if the rumours are true and fishing recovery will be capped ~80% it would be nice if rare baits got way more effective.... or replaced with new baits as someone might complain that people with 100% recovery on drudge leeches could stockpile blood leeches...

As for the player event items, I think it is a really cool approach, but I think that while aesthetic can be unique, if special effects are used for the event item, similar items should be available in game as well (perhaps with different visuals).

FrostII and Brighton Rock like this.
  6. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

The special baits sell pretty well

or used to

lol

Then you have to start making multiple items instead of one.

Idk event tailored / unlikely to piss people off seems to be the way to go.

For Phamyns event which was a one-time fish finder event,

Could have done something like an actual fish finder deco that you place on a boat.

Little computer monitor that shows fake fish and bleeps or something.

Cool unique prize, commemorates the event, doesn't break game.

Edit: Also to add on the cap

If they do a cap it should be visible in-game.
    Redo the amounts listed on current in-game items / buffs
    So when you add up your items buffs etc that is your real %.

Last thing we need is another hidden cap

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    FrostII and Bedawyn like this.
  7. Redhammer

Redhammer Avatar

Can I interject here...some of you are making very valid points...some, not so much... I think a good way to resolve this would be to change all the gathering skills to reflect what you want... I agree 100% success is something that only a very dedicated person should be able to achieve…

That being said...should it not be the same for all gathering skills? This would really suck and the game would die on the vine but by your arguments all collecting and crafting skills should be capped at 80%...Would that not be wonderful?

I used to mine all the time; I used that production experience to build my fishing skills…I sold and used the ore for other crafting skills…It took years to reach my production level… I am not done; I continue to collect crafting experience to improve my crafting... In other words I put my time in… I focus my efforts to improve what I like to do in the game…I know I can’t do it all so I have to make choices…some are very hard…choosing fishing is not the best way to make gold but it is fun with the right people… To my knowledge no one has ever been excluded or left out of any of the fishing contests I have participated in over the last year or more… As for not announcing the conciliation prize for the contest in the beginning…no one had any clue until the very last week when something was hinted at…I understand that was partially due to only having a limited number cloaks on hand…and not knowing how many might be issued…so I expect, had this issue not blown up, more of the cloaks would have been given out…in yet to be held contests…I fervently hope they are not participation awards…that would make them less than useless which they will be if the bait recovery is capped at 80%. Oh, and I recall being told to turn in a fish, any fish each week even if it was not a winner…This was repeated several times during each weeks event…I am sorry you did not get a cloak…Please try again next time…If a next time develops. But know this; you may have to beat other players who have been fishing for a very long time… Good luck and have fun…I know you can do it…Luck plays a big factor in fishing…

Flair and FrostII like this.
  8. Brighton Rock

Brighton Rock Avatar

The 80% cap at bait recovery is ok - seriously that has to be done otherwise you just need that 1 blood leech or bait squid and use it forever...

question regarding this cloak: http://sotawiki.net/sota/Streamer_Cloak
    what stats does it have ? Is it just bait recovery ? Because when i linked it in my first post, I was thinking of the cloak I`ve seen months ago, which had a +5 fishing on it.

And fishing isn't just fun and socialicing and trophies - you need those damn rare fishes to make good int food...

Net likes this.
  9. Redhammer

Redhammer Avatar

Once upon a time...A cloak was issues with +5 Fishing...That cloak was limited and very hard to get, you had to win a fishing contest to get it...Then a copy of it was used to sell Coto's (This was a way to get more cloaks into the world...) At one time it was very limited... and time passed until a request was made to get another Cloak for more prizes...This is the current cloak...It only has the Bait recovery +12.5%... If fishing actually worked as it should then the +5 Fishing Cloak is actually better...but this new cloak could actually be an advantage for LAVA fishing and Shark Fishing (the end game for fishing)...so both are useful...I disagree that capping bait recovery at 80% is a good thing... Yes I understand the idea but who is going to sell bait if they need keep it all? By allowing players to reach 100% bait recovery which by the way is similar to allowing players to solo any boss and horde all the drops that other players can't get... The whole point of a game is for players to find what they like and go at it...and yes, some features of games may look like exploits...However, in my opinion when a bug is found that has been a staple of the game for a long time it changes from a bug to a feature...when you "correct" that feature you are actually taking away something that has been a staple for some players... Thus they get mad... I for one would rather see new and better content... Going back and "Fixing" game features intended or otherwise should only be done when a feature is actually busted or exploited....So Baking in bait recovery at 80% changes the game I play...When can I get my money back? You just fixed one of the items I play the game for...And no I am not really asking for a refund...I just want the game to stay fundamentally the way I like it...As would all of you I expect....Stay Healthy and Stay Safe!!

Sorgin Txakal likes this.
  10. Brighton Rock

Brighton Rock Avatar

thanks for the info regarding the cloak.

but who is going to buy bait if you just need that one bait you always get back ?

Lained likes this.
  11. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

Got an idea, don't cap at 80% and get the cloaks back, or change to +5 fishing at Stormsong vale, and spend time rethinking the whole idea!

Redhammer likes this.
  12. Engel

Engel Avatar

My apologies for Phamyns he gives his time, his golds and his cotos for result the sky falls on his head

He wanted to please us and offer us something special and make events more interesting for all .

Thank you for trying .

13. Redhammer

Redhammer Avatar

Hmmm, guess newer players... :)

14. Jikininki

Jikininki Avatar

Phamyns is running events still I heard? Though I don’t see where they are listed on the forums to know when or where. Can someone link me?

15. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I really hope the devs consider addressing this issue before the next round of fishing tournaments start.

Giving streamers an unachievable advantage over new players is really disheartening and erodes any desire to try to participate and compete in fishing contests.

If Flair wasn't selling rare bait that people with cloaks get to keep indefinitely, I wouldn't have participated in the fishing tournaments at all.

Fetid SirDidy likes this.
  16. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Getting 140 in 1 skill is really not that hard.. in 2 weeks ( on and off as I fight more than I craft ) I got all my agriculture skills to 130 + so just one bait recovery skill at 140 would not take that long to do. do some bears at ulhiem ruins or then make a bunch of food and you will get even more XP.. Or mine gold in etceter mines and sell it and keep the xp for the bait skill. etc.. there tons ways for making xp but YES it does a little bit of time but what would be the fun if it did not? someone else winning a cloak does not bother me at all as fishing does not effect the economy all that much and a few people getting some cloak that I can get the same thing in a few weeks is neither here or there for me..

fight dragons or troll bosses and you will get pax rings -- or you can buy them as I see them in player owed towns all the time.

PS: I got some many gems from fighting dragons that I did not even know what to do with them until now!

17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

My Bait Recovery skill is 126, which when combined with the Humility Blessing and an Epic Pax ring - gives me the 100% chance.
    Getting your Bait Recovery to 126 isn't that hard at all.
    Since I got my Epic, I've given away to fisherpeople a Legendary and 2 Rares - and like @Odyssey2001 said - getting sufficient Pax Rings to make an Epic is most certainly doable, and compared to other Arties they are cheap.
    Sooo, @OzzyOsbourne - get busy collecting Pax rings and you'll have one less thing to complain about... :D

Net, Anpu and Lained like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.