SotAwiki Update Thread

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Browncoat Jayson, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I'll try to clean that page up and provide additional information and resources.

Previously, we had a board of administrators for the wiki, but they have mostly stepped away for now. I can get in touch with them if we need to make policy decisions. If you have structure or policy suggestions, don't heistate to write something up and PM me here on the forum. I'd be happy to look through any suggestion, offer any insights I might have into the whys and wherefores, and try to get the gears into motion.

2. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Ah, cool. I usually use the Tier_X_Scenes pages instead, so didn't notice that. It would still be nice if the skull images somehow reflected that on the actual scene pages. The scene pages do say "designed for groups," but it's still not really clear what that means. Party required for what? Looking at Longfall Woods, for instance, it's a 2+ scene, but there's a quest that the solo player should be able to complete on their own -- and can. Does a plus scene really require a party, like the places where you have to have multiple people standing on things to trigger something? Or is just easier with a party? Those are really more concerns about the way the devs categorize and color-code things, but I do wish the wiki had a way of clearing up the confusion the devs created.

That sounds like a plan! Of course, time to actually do anything is another issue, but at least if I can write things up when I have the time and inspiration, at least I'll know what to do with it next.

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

4. Browncoat Jayson

I'm assuming its the same person, so I renamed him. If we find another unlisted fishing merchant, we can add them later. Thanks!

Alley Oop likes this.
  5. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

here is one i use and would be good to add to getting started.

http://sotawiki.net/sota/Category:Templates

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  7. Browncoat Jayson

Anpu likes this.
  8. Alley Oop

need a page for captain ron, already linked from fishing expedition

{{Infobox NPC
    |image=
    |location=Fishing Expedition
    |type=Vendor
    |specialty=Fishing Supplies Merchant
    |firstappearance= [[Release 60]]
    }}

Captain Ron is a '''Fishing Supplies Merchant''' can be found in the [[Fishing Expedition]].

==Sells==
    {{Vendorboxtop}}
    {{Vendorbox Query|name=Fishing Rod|quantity=10}}
    {{Vendorbox Query|name=Lava Fishing Rod}}
    {{Vendorbox Query|name=Minnow|quantity=900}}
    {{Vendorbox Query|name=Red Worm|quantity=900}}
    {{Vendorboxbottom}}

[[Category:NPCs]]

Browncoat Jayson and Anpu like this.
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Browncoat Jayson and Alley Oop like this.
  10. Browncoat Jayson

Thanks for taking care of that!

Anpu likes this.
  11. Alley Oop

saw your update to the tier marker article. there's one more thing of note (other than the new stone shelving one in episode two scenes): there are a few places where there are low-level paths to other scenes in otherwise high-level scenes, and these show a tier marker for each direction.

this is southeast blackblade mountains, which is tier 5 in general but tier 2 along the path that leads to the entrance to blackblade pass.

[​IMG]

ref: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/release-46-instructions.100605/

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Bedawyn likes this.
  12. Browncoat Jayson

I can add the path into, but I'll wait on the Ep2 shelf until it's finalized.

Alley Oop likes this.
  13. Alley Oop

http://twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1275005677652623376

need pages for
    Pax Ring, Epic
    The Ring of an Unknown BMC Member, Epic
    Ring of Brittle Brawn, Epic
    Ring of the Ringmaster, Epic
    Xen Penetrator, Rare
    Xen Penetrator, Legendary

i'm not sure about the staff of xen, whether that has tiers now or not. the tweet is vague whether rare and legendary only applies to the spider silk sashes or to both parts. my one existing staff of xen does not have a tier in the name.

[​IMG]

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  14. Browncoat Jayson

Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
  15. Alley Oop

Anpu likes this.
  16. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

On the subject of housing... there's a bunch of decorations listed under the housing category. I know there's a few, like the stone circle, that are sold as housing even though they should be probably be decorations instead, and that use the same lot marker mechanic. But I find it really hard to believe they've gone that bizarre route for statues too. But they're all things too expensive for me to test out for myself. Should all those statues, as well as things like the Yew Tree, Confirmatory, and Bell Tower, really be listed under Housing? I'm pretty sure the bell tower does not use the lot marker.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any consistency in the naming of houses re: spelling out numbers or not. This results in things like the Stone Four-Story Row House not appearing in the list next to the two- and three-story versions. I don't know if this reflects an inconsistency in the in-game naming or not, but it's one of those things I'd really appreciate having a style rule for. We also have things like "Viking #-Story..." and "#-Story Viking..." going on. (This is one of the reasons I use the categories to search for anything; without them, it's hard to find anything unless you already know exactly what you're looking for and what its precise name is. So it's particularly frustrating to have these inconsistencies show up in the category lists.)

My preference would be to have all the page names using numerals, so they sort properly and people can visually scan the list more quickly, and if the actual in-game item spells the number out, have a separate page with that name and a redirect. The reverse would also work, as long as we end up with consistency. Pretty please?

17. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

@Browncoat Jayson, I noticed you'd made a recent change to the Location infobox template, so I took a look at it to find out what. Couldn't figure that out, but I did notice that it didn't include the region parameter that you told me to use last fall, when I went back through all the adventure scenes. So I added that, as well as refined the example descriptions a bit. However, it does include a "Scene" parameter, which I don't remember seeing anywhere when I was doing that cleanup. I'm not sure how it would be used, since any location is either a scene itself or bigger than a scene? Should that still be in there?

There's a couple other problems with the doc for that template, that I'd really like to see cleared up. It seems a bit iffy on which parameters are optional and which are not. I'd clean that up myself, but I'm not sure if it just needs rewriting or if there are underlying requirements that make some parameters optional and others not. There are a few where the description says it's optional, but the parameter column doesn't. It's not clear in which cases the "optional" status is determined by a technical requirement, by a policy requirement, or by context (for instance, a town infobox won't have a tier parameter, but tier should definitely be included for an adventure scene). Should there be a "Recommended" status for parameters that aren't technically required but that we really really want people to include?

I also moved the lines around a bit to keep all the geographic parameters together. It would be great if there were official guidance on what order the parameters should be in. Even if it will still work regardless of order, having them in a consistent order makes it easier to see if something is missing or incorrect and to make sure the editor is using the best parameters possible for that particular scene. Not worth editing pages just to standardize the order, but if someone's editing a page anyway, it would be nice to have the infobox standardized too.

Also, the example given is Owl's Head, and I'm not sure that's a good example, given that it lists "Vale" as the location, and "Vale" isn't even a proper place -- it's just a redirect. It might be nice to give two examples: one for an adventure scene and one for an NPC town, since they'll have different parameter sets (with some overlap).

(POTs use an entirely different infobox, correct? Some of the same parameters, but a different template?)

18. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

19. Browncoat Jayson

Removed; thanks!

I'm in the same boat. If I had time I could jump on QA to see which is which, but otherwise I've just been updating them as I find them in the Vault.

The issue is that the Add-On Store, and usually the Crown Shop, uses one style and the in-game item uses a different style. Again, since I have never had the item available to me, I've only been updating them as they come up in the Vault. The store name should be a redirect to the item name, so if you see the other version it hasn't been updated yet. So its in process.

The change I made was to support scene tiers higher than 10. You should be able to enter any tier number and it will work. The scene parameter is for when one scene is only accessible within another, such as The Clink only being accessible from within Owl's Head. I'll look at the other items that are available in that template; I tend to update the template itself as needed, but sometimes forget to make the changes to the doc.

POTs have their own infobox, which is mostly filled out based on the POT Entry form.

Bedawyn likes this.
  20. Browncoat Jayson

Yeah, I believe when they were first implemented, they were put on liches as the flame chicken wasn't set up yet. Needs updated. I'll add it to the list.

Anpu likes this.